Pitman

Pitman's Toyota Sprint Series car

Most definitely, Keith thumbsup.gif.  It will unfortunately be a good few months until it is ready, but once the red demon is finished, I will not forget my friends.  The whole purpose of the car is for maximum fun for all, which is one of the reasons why I am building the Yaris, rather than going the MR2 route that Lauren was pushing me to.  Hopefully, the car will be a real hoot once it is finished.  I am thinking of spraying it in a similar colour scheme as the new Toyota WRC Yaris bellyroll.gif

1422592663_zps27b56f0b.jpg

Neil, at well over £2000 for a Motec that a £900 DTA can do (as far as what my humble Yaris will require anyway), I think the chances are pretty good.  A key point will however, be if Adrian Smith will be prepared to map a DTA ecu. There is no one else I trust to map my car(s) for me.

Completely agree Dave, no one else maps my cars either!

My motec was nowhere near 2k, though guess it depends on what model you are looking at!

(though since i bought mine looks like the M4 has been discontinued  :huh: )

Neil, hopefully Adrian will jump in some time, and give his thought and opinions.  

My research shows that:

DTA S60 costs £795incl. delivered, where as the Motec M400 has a base price of £1717 (which I think excludes VAT)

The 1NZ FE engine has variable valve timing on the inlet cam.  Although the cams I will be using have a 264 degree duration, I would still like to maintain the VVT function.  The DTA does this as standard, whereas it is an upgrade of £236 for the Motec (again, less vat)To add lambda control to the Motec is a further £394 for the Motec - standard for the DTA.  Finally, launch control, traction control and flat foot shifting are all standard with the DTA, whereas the Motec upgrade is £295.  So, comparing required features, the Motec (with VAT) will be around £3170 versus the £795 for the DTA.  A massive difference.  The entry level Motec (M84) does not have the cam control option, and still costs over £2700 with the rest of the 'upgrade' options as above.

Here are the features of the DTA S60 Pro ECU: http://www.dtafast.co.uk/S_60_PRO.htm

Just checked my costs - was just over £1k including boost control solenoid, 10 position map switch and D9 comms cable foir the M4. I run closed loop on lambda and no pro features like launch control (struggle for somewhere to point the wheel speed sensor!!)

Looks like prices for base ECU have gone up over the last 5 years!

If you are planning on using all of these i guess the DTA could offer a good cost saving!

To be honest, initially I will be quite happy to get the engine running reliably  :D.  

The features I mentioned above are what I would like to get sorted, after all, it is a Yaris you know drool.gif  bellyroll.gif

You may have a point, Neil iono.gif

The Collins English dictionary defines reliable as being 'able to be trusted, predictable or dependable'

I guess if your track car can be trusted to break down, is predictable to let you down, and you can depend on it costing you a lot of money, it still fits into the category of being reliable, as it does meet all the criteria?

The nice Fedex man delivered some more bits today for the engine build 

SAM_0090_zpsce5f3486.jpg

SAM_0089_zpsadf09116.jpg

SAM_0088_zps266b4a91.jpg

Plus head and main bearing studs and nuts (the Crowler rods come with ARP bolts included

SAM_0091_zps86dac43c.jpg

Now that the pistons have arrived, I need to find a competent engineering shop to make me a torque plate so that I can get my nice clean block bored and honed for the CP pistons.  I also have to notch the bottom of the bores, in order to clear the rods.  Lots and lots of work to do cry.gif

Has my man not got back to you yet Dave??

Give him a call tomorrow and tell him you can send him the head gasket so he can measure it up and replicate the bolt and bore pattern for you.

It won't be cheap, but then, these things never are!!

Dave... you're a sly old fox, you never said a word about this when we met up in Worcester... !!

... ah, but thinking about it you had the missus with you, so you wouldn't, would you....  :ph34r:

Spec K

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor  :D .

I have to make sure that the Yaris is capable of keeping up with the GT86s  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: .  Also, I am sure that you and Richard will only want the best when you guest drive it  ;)

Dave.. I have spoken to my colleague up North.

He has said if you supply him your head gasket he can work from that. Just put some tippex around the holes you need and give the overall dimensions required.

Guess it is time to post a few more pics  :D

CNC machined collector for the turbo exhaust manifold

SAM_0195_zpssel00ikg.jpg

Billet ball raced turbo, Jenvey Throttle body and billet fuel rail

SAM_0189_zpsgvsmxwev.jpg

Adjustable bias brake pedal box

SAM_0100_zpsnzwmh6om.jpg

Quick shift gear lever with solid mounts and brass bushes for the cables

SAM_0192_zps4vp21k90.jpg

Hopefully I will get the fully adjustable (for both caster and camber) front suspension lower arms finished this weekend, and then I can start planning on putting it all together  ;) .  The Back Axle is jsut about finished (still in kit form, though) - Whiteline ARB and poly bushes.  I just need to make the shims to increase the camber, then it can all be bolted together.

Thank you :-)

I made the pedal box, Nige.  Amazing what you can do with a drill press, vice, hacksaw and file when you put your mind to it!  For what ever reason, the Yaris has never taken off in the tuner after market, so I am having to make a lot of the bits myself.  Hence my now having bought a Tig welder, lathe and being in the market for a milling machine as per our earlier pm chat.

Fair play Dave, PROPER car building, making bits yourself!!

I respected you before, now that level of respect has gone up ten fold!!

It has been a while since I last updated - this does not mean, however, that I have not been busy on the car thumbup.gif

TRD Plate LSD for the gearbox courtesy of those nice people at Fensport

SAM_0217_zpszcm4e76x.jpg

Forged Wilwood radial mount calipers and AP Racing discs - the bells and mounting brackets are being made for me at the moment

SAM_0233_zpsi4tg8b8j.jpg

Stainless braided brake flex hoses

SAM_0234_zpspggpu3fq.jpg

Lightweight steering column with quick release and Nardi-Personal steering wheel

SAM_0235_zps21dd7wbo.jpg

SAM_0236_zpsy5o4xzhk.jpg

I cutout the spare wheel well behind the rear axle to make space for the rear muffler i am going to be using - after having had my GT86 effectively banned from entering the TSS due to its noise level, I will be running a high flow, but hopefully effective 3" exhaust on the Yaris.  Once the well was cut out, a flat steel panel was cut out to fill the resulting hole, and welded in by my resident welder smile.gif

SAM_0227_zpsuiilnf5i.jpg

SAM_0225_zpsm6dqwsjv.jpg

As I commented in Nige's thread, I am now in the process of removing all the seam sealer inside the body, and fitting the roll cage

SAM_0228_zpse9fookst.jpg

SAM_0229_zpscwqazcsj.jpg

SAM_0232_zpsmztxxhqx.jpg

Once the cage is in, I will be able to establish the right position for the seat, and then can weld in the seat mounting brackets

SAM_0237_zps7jikk5ck.jpg

Both the roll cage and the seat are OMP FIA certified items, so that should keep any scrutineers happy thumbup.gif.  I have also ordered a genuine Takata 6 point race harness, especially for Lauren happyanim.gif

Thank you, Mark.  The problem / challenge with building something like a full race spec Yaris is that race spec bits are not very plentiful, so a LOT of searching, and make it yourself from scratch is required.  All this takes time, but does definitely add to the enjoyment factor.  As an example, the roll cage was made to order in Italy, with a two month lead time.  Although it is listed by the likes of Demon Tweeks, when I came to buy it, I was told that it was a special order item.  Likewise with the turbo exhaust and inlet system, the only really viable option is for me to make the manifolds myself from scratch.  I am seriously trying to get the car finished in time, though to be able to do the last couple of rounds of the TSS this year.

Looks f'in brilliant Dave!!!

I wanna come and see it, I'm fed up with looking at filler and fibreglass!! Your resident welder is welcome to come weld the gussets into my cage if he wants to..

Nige - you know you are welcome anytime  ;) .  You will have to negotiate with my resident welder - as you can see in one of the pictures above, I have bought him both a TIG and a MIG welder - he has lots of practice ahead of himself doing all the welding I require on my race Yaris  :D

Lol, and here's me thinking you were doing all the work yourself, but you're forcing the young-uns to do your handy work for you? Awesome stuff though, can't wait too see it in action!