Nails

Newbie from Sussex

Hi All,

I am hoping to pull the trigger on a 2016 Aero this weekend so just thought I would check in. 

I joined the other forum first (http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum) as on the face of it appeared to be the busiest of the two. In terms of club stands at show's, meet's etc. do the two clubs join up or is it totally separate? Do I have to pick a side? ;)

Hi Nails. Welcome. Yes of course you need to pick a side. Only joking! We do far more events because we run the club as a non-profit limited company so all the money we receive goes into events and for stuff for the members. We do invite the other club to our events of course. We do all the big events like Japfest 1&2, JAE etc and these are definitely events to put in your calendar. So if you want to get into the social side of things this is definitely the place to be. :)

Where are you based? 

Welcome to the club :) no sides, we will do events together, as lauren said though. Most the big shows are attended largely by us and we do love a good track day. Well everyone else does, I haven't done one for a while due to lack of time. 

Guest 86guns

Welcome.

I got my gt86 last summer and looked at both forums with the intention of only joining one (I couldn’t see the point of joining two forums although now I see many drivers are on both). It was a toss up really, but my decision was based on the fact that whenever I viewed the “other” forum on my iPad it alway defaulted to mobile phone mode and I had to change it to “classic” mode each time I looked at it. I found this a pain (and still do).

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. 

I traveled for nearly 2 hours on Saturday to see a black aero on a 16 plate from a Toyota dealer. It was the worst test drive I have ever had, the salesman said the same. 

When I arrived, the bonnet was up and the car was having it's battery charged, not a good start. Then, I got in the car and there was condensation on the inside of both the front and rear windscreen. This was possibly  down to the windows being slightly down due to the flat battery? Next, there was a warning light on the dashboard, but this turned out to be tire pressures so no big deal. On the test drive, we ran out of petrol, luckily we were right next to a petrol station so I was able to coast into that. The dealer put £10 in, I went to start the car, and it wouldn't start as the battery was still flat, so we had to sit there for 20 minutes until someone came from the dealership to jump start the car. The car felt quite "lumpy" after that, possibly due to the fact we had run out of petrol previously. In addition, when sitting at traffic lights in neutral, and then putting the clutch down there was a clunk sound, not sure if this is normal or not. The engine note was different and more high pitched than the previous one I had driven, and finally, after all that I got out to inspect the bodywork properly as it was a bit wet before the test drive and there was a scratch on the roof and several scratches on the driver's door and front wing. All in all, not what I expect for a car costing over £20k. I think most of it was down to the dealer not doing simple things like putting some fuel in, ensuring the battery wasn't flat, checking the tire pressures etc. It goes without saying that I didn't buy that one and will continue to look. 

12 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Go and find another local dealer and drive another one!

Dont let a poor dealer experience put you off the car!

Don't worry, I had already driven one at a local dealer and loved it but the car wasn't for me due to one of the doors having being painted at some point. I want an as new one without actually buying new :)

Saturday's experience didn't put me off getting a GT86 at all which says a lot about how much I like the GT86! 

I had several experiences like this before I eventually bought my car. The ‘prep’ work (or rather lack of) that many dealers thought they could get away with was frankly shocking. 

He was a nice guy but had just done no prep whatsoever. Although it is not all down to him, the dealership in general should have prepared the car to a better standard. The dealer is based in Northamptonshire. 

Same gang down here I think avoid them like the plague take your time people on here will tell you who are the good ones but on what I've read over the past 5 years they are few and far between

Oh I think I started my thread with the same name!!

Looking good. Congrats.
Where in Sussex are you? I’m in Horney Common. Tiny place near Uckfield. Collect mine on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all :)

11 hours ago, Harleyandaharp said:

Oh I think I started my thread with the same name!! emoji4.png

Looking good. Congrats.
Where in Sussex are you? I’m in Horney Common. Tiny place near Uckfield. Collect mine on Wednesday. emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in Crawley so not too far from you. We should try and get a sussex/south east meet sorted.........