MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

There is a very easy way to know if the pump is at its limits. If you have any obd2 sensor like Torque Pro, then check values of AFR calculated and afr measured. If the measured is a higher number than calculated , then its running lean, aka fuel pump is at its limits.
Don't modify/ add a higher capacity pump and / or injectors without checking this and validating.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

They fit HKS plugs (did my 60k service last week). That's fair enough, you must on the absolute limit of the pump with your setup.

Hmm, you've got me thinking about swapping the fuel pump for a higher flow one.  Any recommendations?

While still running "low" enough power for the stock injectors to cope, I would doubt the stock pump is running out of juice, either. Willing to be proven wrong, though!

280bhp seems to be the upper limit for the in tank fuel pump and the clutch (as you found out). Above that those items require changing. Although not mandatory Cosworth recommend changing it with their kit to offer more headroom, especially if the filters aren't fresh. Tuning developments stage 2 which is 300+ also changes the fuel pump. 

280bhp seems to be deemed the safe limit on the twins. Above this you enter rod lottery, upgrades to the clutch and fuelling and running over the gearbox design limit of 250nm.

280bhp seems to be the upper limit for the in tank fuel pump and the clutch (as you found out). Above that those items require changing. Although not mandatory Cosworth recommend changing it with their kit to offer more headroom, especially if the filters aren't fresh. Tuning developments stage 2 which is 300+ also changes the fuel pump. 

280bhp seems to be deemed the safe limit on the twins. Above this you enter rod lottery, upgrades to the clutch and fuelling and running over the gearbox design limit of 250nm.

Exactly right. Do you have a Cosworth kit? They have done their R&D on the platform thoroughly. From their install install user manual, details attached.

But like I say the best way to validate it for personal circumstances is to see your specific car's AFR calculated vs measured and see if it is running Lean. Unless you are ok to add the supporting mod for peace of mind.

The fuel filter is due a replacement at 80K miles , so along with spark plug, that's some preventive maintenance you can do/get done early Martin.

20210508_115904.thumb.jpg.916e31311c350d953f8dfc88283e3320.jpg

That's very helpful, cheers both.  The bhp calculation, as you know, is an estimate based on whp.  Mark suggested I was around 300bhp.  He has put a safe limit on the map, looking carefully at peak cylinder pressure.

When I have the 60k service done, I'll talk to Scott and Mark about an uprated fuel pump and replacement filter.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:39 PM, BRZ-123 said:

Have you got them done Martin? Any feedback will be ideal.

Not yet - the 60k service is booked for 3rd August.  I will report on how it feels after it's done.

I'm royally pissed off at the second lot of touch-up paint that doesn't match my BRZ's body colour by a country mile.  Wondering what's going on, I double-checked the plate in the nearside door and confirmed the paint code as K1X - Pearl White.  However, a close look at images on eBay confirms that it's being conflated with Crystal White.  I believe this is why the match is so terrible.  I've also found Toyota paint called K1X Crystal White??

I have now found a third touch-up pen labelled as K1X Pearl White and have ordered it.  The last straw will be to go to Bulldog Subaru in Twyford and order some no doubt exorbitant Subaru paint to do the job.  It shouldn't be this difficult!

The pearl white is a multi stage paint. It's done in multiple layers, even body shops find it hard to match. I doubt that there is a single pot of paint that will match, it's probably just the base white.

Got a cracked windscreen a couple of weeks ago. Contacted Autoglass through my insurers and they ordered a replacement from Subaru. It's been almost two weeks and they're still waiting for delivery. Have we got a shortage of windscreens now on top of everything else?

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Got a cracked windscreen a couple of weeks ago. Contacted Autoglass through my insurers and they ordered a replacement from Subaru. It's been almost two weeks and they're still waiting for delivery. Have we got a shortage of windscreens now on top of everything else?

Probably on a boat from Japan, give it another couple of weeks. Did you need to do any work to convince them to use a genuine Subaru screen?

Unfortunate reality of having a rare car. Less than 900 sold in the UK overall. UK stock of spares is ones and twos. If not in UK stock, EU stock is checked in Netherlands, if not, its shipped from Japan.

You could get the order cancelled and ask them to source a Toyota GT86 , which is rebadged subaru part anyway. Highly likely they will have stock in their UK warehouse as they sold a lot more and have bigger warehousing facilities.

I'd rather have a Subaru original than a pattern screen.  Surely, though, the Subi and Toyota screens are the same, which means a UK shortage anyway?
Does not work like that. Toyota buy their global need for screens and all other parts and spares from Subaru Japan directly. They then maintain the distribution and supply globally in Toyota dealerships and also the logic of how they distribute this stock. Subaru UK has no agreement to use Toyota UK spares and vice versa. So Subaru shortage in UK does not mean Toyota shortage in UK, nearly always Toyota has them in stock and I've experienced it for other parts (not windscreen). GT86 outsold BRZ by 10:1 approximately in the UK , so Toyota are bound to have more stock.

The parts are exactly the same as is demonstrated by the SU product code on Toyota parts for GT86. Your call to wait or not, I just put an option out there in case you wanted quicker resolution with exactly same quality part

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

The parts are exactly the same as is demonstrated by the SU product code on Toyota parts for GT86. Your call to wait or not, I just put an option out there in case you wanted quicker resolution with exactly same quality part

Is it as simple as that though? In the instance of the windscreen, Toyota list that as part SU003G0005 and Subaru as part 65009CA030. My BRZ glass has 'Subaru' lettering printed on it too, so I would be surprised if it was exactly the same part. If you're a picky bastard like me I'd be after a genuine Subaru screen, even if it means waiting a few weeks.

Is it as simple as that though? In the instance of the windscreen, Toyota list that as part SU003G0005 and Subaru as part 65009CA030. My BRZ glass has 'Subaru' lettering printed on it too, so I would be surprised if it was exactly the same part. If you're a picky bastard like me I'd be after a genuine Subaru screen, even if it means waiting a few weeks.
It is that simple, yes. If its badging, then Toyota want their stamp and have on some parts. Does not get it Toyota made.even the front and rear Toyota emblem have subaru stamped behind them.

Take oil filter as an example listed on Toyota e bay store. Check the 3 pictures.. has subaru logo and Toyota logo. Spin it one way, you can get T , spin it the other way you get S.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-GT86-Oil-Filter-04-12-Present-90915YZZS2-/221802540519?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I had the 60k service done today down at Abbey Motorsport.

A couple of you asked about the Delicious Tuning coil packs. Mine are blue 2017+ ones. Bear in mind that my plugs have also been swapped for HKS ones as preferred by Abbey over the Denso stock ones. Response and pickup are noticeably sharper. If I press the pedal from overrun, acceleration is instant rather than the moment's hesitation that I had become used to. Low down pull is improved, probably just because of the instant response. It's sharper away from the lights but also if prodding the pedal in 6th on the motorway. Overall, it just makes the car that much more responsive - despite already being on a very good ECUTEK tune for the 'charger.

I had the 60k service done today down at Abbey Motorsport.
A couple of you asked about the Delicious Tuning coil packs. Mine are blue 2017+ ones. Bear in mind that my plugs have also been swapped for HKS ones as preferred by Abbey over the Denso stock ones. Response and pickup are noticeably sharper. If I press the pedal from overrun, acceleration is instant rather than the moment's hesitation that I had become used to. Low down pull is improved, probably just because of the instant response. It's sharper away from the lights but also if prodding the pedal in 6th on the motorway. Overall, it just makes the car that much more responsive - despite already being on a very good ECUTEK tune for the 'charger.
Thanks Martin. How did your plugs look at replacement? I got mine replaced last week at Bulldog and this is how they looked. All evenly carbonised and not too bad. 20210722_181524.jpg