MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/7345-clutch-for-fi-car/?tab=comments#comment-114727
Xtreme and Exedy both seem to review well. Check the torque specs Martin. Exedy stage 1 is rated at 190 lbft at flywheel, 160 at wheels supposedly. Your car produces more torque than that , I believe.

What are the telltale signs of a slipping clutch and how much is the replacement going to cost all in Martin?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I'll double-check with Scott at Abbey. Mine peaks at 282nm which pushes it for the Exedy Stage 1.
I've been quoted £750 all-in. Gearbox out, it's a 4 hour job.
From Amber perf

https://www.amber-performance.co.uk/product.php?xProd=25509
MAIN BENEFITS

- Ensures the clutch engagement feeling is the same as the standard clutch.

- Up to a 30% increase in torque capacity over standard.

- Approximately 40% higher clamp load than the standard clutch.

- Industry leading performance friction, achieving the highest fade recovery, the highest RPM burst test results, the best heat resistance and the lowest wear rate in the performance after-market.*

I guess there's a balance between clutch feel and clamping force.

It's my daily driver so I don't want a heavy clutch. I'm also easy on my clutches, I never dump them, I try not to slip excessively and I don't track the car.

For reference, Tuning Developments use the Exedy Stage 1 kit in their Turbo Stage 2 package, which produces more torque than the 280nm you listed above. 

I know the power delivery will be different but I think Exedy understate their performance figures on their clutches.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, Neil-h said:

That's good to hear Martin. I'm booked in in a couple of weeks to have a B12 kit fitted (plus the geometry bits etc you've listed) so hearing your throughts is reassuring. I wasn't to worried as reviews for other cars sounded promising but it's always nice to hear from someone with the same car. 👍

Hey Neil, nice to meet you today at Abbey.

How are you finding your Bilsteins?  I didn't ask you as I forgot about this post.  I'm finding them excellent for keeping the wheels on the road and being able to power through corners.

8 minutes ago, MartinT said:

How are you finding your Bilsteins?  I didn't ask you as I forgot about this post.  I'm finding them excellent for keeping the wheels on the road and being able to power through corners.

Are you guys using adjutsble top mounts or camber bolts or maintaining the stock camber settings?

The Exedy Stage 1 clutch is remarkably fuss-free.  The biting point for me is a touch lower in the pedal travel than before (my stock clutch was finished) and the quality of bite is smooth but more defined, meaning it's been useful practising matching speeds as I do when changing down.  Most importantly, the action is smooth and the pedal is no heavier to operate than stock.  It's as good a performance upgrade as I could hope for, and now I can lay down all the torque at my disposal.

18 hours ago, MartinT said:

Hi Martin, nice to meet you to. It’s always good to put a face to a name, especially with the joys of lockdown.

As for the Bilsteins, it’s hard to say too much from the run round the M25 but initial signs are promising. The ride is a bit firmer but not to the point of being uncomfortable, so that’s a good start. The other thing I’ve noticed is it feels a lot more focused now (the suspension that came off wasn’t  hellishly worn but the new set feels tighter), so I’m really looking forward to going out for a proper drive to see what it’ll do.

19 hours ago, Booboo said:

Are you guys using adjutsble top mounts or camber bolts or maintaining the stock camber settings?

I’m using camber bolts as well. I did look at adjustable top mounts but they’re seriously expensive and only really necessary if you’re wanting more than 1-2 degrees of camber (or your going really low and want to get back to stock ish camber).

On 3/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, MartinT said:

Camber bolts, adjustable lower arms, drop links, poly bushes all installed and setup by Abbey.

Thanks for info

On 3/18/2021 at 8:30 AM, Neil-h said:

I’m using camber bolts as well. I did look at adjustable top mounts but they’re seriously expensive and only really necessary if you’re wanting more than 1-2 degrees of camber (or your going really low and want to get back to stock ish camber).

Cheers. Just interested if you were both using adjustable top mounts with your Bilstein set ups

On 9/26/2019 at 7:29 AM, MartinT said:

Quite interesting having a discussion in the Naturally Aspirated Facebook group.  I posted a humorous thread starter about going forced induction, thus breaking the group rules, but to my surprise it unearthed quite a few owners with FI.  What is perhaps less surprising (the internet being what it is) are the number of members telling me I should have gone turbo, clearly not having read my post or my requirements.

I know turbo is an option and the obvious contender would be the TD seeing as I have their NA kit and catback system.  However, I believe two criteria affected my decision: road car not track car, and being a daily driver not a weekend special.  Plus, I intend keeping it until I retire in 5 years' time so I don't want to break it.  Also, it gets wet a lot and snows here.

Alternative viewpoints welcome!

Hey just curious, how much did the supercharger kit cost you? Since you have the TD NA package the turbo kit wouldn’t have been that much for you.

It was around £4500 fitted at the time, all superbly installed by Abbey Motorsport.

As I explained in my PM to you, I really didn't want a turbo marring the excellent knife-edge handling of the car.  The supercharger is very predictable in that regard and just feels like a bigger engine.

I've got my 60k service coming up soon so I've ordered a set of Delicious Tuning Blue OEM+ coilpacks for when the plugs are changed.  Thought it worth having done at the same time as I'd like the best spark possible for pickup and response with the Harrop.

Delicious OEM+ (4) Coil Packs - MY15+ (Blue) | Delicious Tuning

Abbey will be doing the work as usual.

I've got my 60k service coming up soon so I've ordered a set of Delicious Tuning Blue OEM+ coilpacks for when the plugs are changed.  Thought it worth having done at the same time as I'd like the best spark possible for pickup and response with the Harrop.
Delicious OEM+ (4) Coil Packs - MY15+ (Blue) | Delicious Tuning
Abbey will be doing the work as usual.
Great choice on coilpacks. Which plugs will they be - HKS or OE? I think OE are Denso made.

I'll be very interested in hearing if the coil packs make any noticeable difference. I've heard varying claims about the stock coils - some say they're fine, others that they are weak (even for stock cars).

I too will be interested. I sense that sparks are weak on pickup from low revs but I won't know for sure until it's done.

Abbey don't fit Denso plugs, I think they might be NGK but not certain. Fuel pump is standard but that may change.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk