Kaltorak

Disks and pads.

Hi All.

I have been looking around on the forums trying to get my head around brake pad and disk recommendations. I have the standard Calipers and don't have the funding to change these out at the moment. I just finished up my first trackday and the front disks are toast, not checked the rears, but the fronts are exhibiting a mild shudder on the brake peddle which can also be felt through the wheel.

I am looking at the EBC Yellow Stuff or DS2500 pads. But I have absolutely no idea on disks, will they make much difference, are there any that work better with one or the other of the pads I'm favouring?

I dont drive the car daily, its mainly for long motorway travel to and from friends and family or (now) trackdays. 

I found plenty of advice on pads, but not much on disks, cheers for any advice.

7 minutes ago, Kaltorak said:

Hi All.

I have been looking around on the forums trying to get my head around brake pad and disk recommendations. I have the standard Calipers and don't have the funding to change these out at the moment. I just finished up my first trackday and the front disks are toast, not checked the rears, but the fronts are exhibiting a mild shudder on the brake peddle which can also be felt through the wheel.

I am looking at the EBC Yellow Stuff or DS2500 pads. But I have absolutely no idea on disks, will they make much difference, are there any that work better with one or the other of the pads I'm favouring?

I dont drive the car daily, its mainly for long motorway travel to and from friends and family or (now) trackdays. 

Stoptech centric blank discs are a good upgrade over oem while being a little cheaper at the same time. 

DBA are great, but mega money. There is no need for fancy discs unless you are already overheating the ones you have. I'll buck the trend and suggest OEM blanks, but at a better price. Ones that I can find as OEM quality (ie make discs that get rebranded as manufacturer) seem to be ATE, Bosch and TRW. Bosch discs can be had at good value, look here for example:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/8345994

10% back with Topcashback as well. TRW are also on that website but ATE don't seem to do much for the 86.

Just remember when on these sites to confirm the front and rear disc sizes and types. I would also check whether the discs actually need replacing as well.

5 hours ago, knightryder said:

DBA are great, but mega money. There is no need for fancy discs unless you are already overheating the ones you have. I'll buck the trend and suggest OEM blanks, but at a better price. Ones that I can find as OEM quality (ie make discs that get rebranded as manufacturer) seem to be ATE, Bosch and TRW. Bosch discs can be had at good value, look here for example:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/8345994

10% back with Topcashback as well. TRW are also on that website but ATE don't seem to do much for the 86.

Just remember when on these sites to confirm the front and rear disc sizes and types. I would also check whether the discs actually need replacing as well.

Get what you pay for, worth the money for the results I have had. Lots of options just decide on use.

1 hour ago, Leeky said:

Just toasted the OEM pads at Pembrey, so about to fit Cosworth StreetMaster pads to front/back this weekend along with some Brembo OEM grade discs.

Heard mixed reviews of OEM replacement Brembos. Will be interesting to hear how well they last.

@KevinA I think the only non-OEM equivalent I would use would be DBA. For your kind of use then it's a no brainer IMO, but for less regular or no track use then perhaps the extra £150 isn't going to be worth it. It's a shame that they are so expensive as if they were ~£150 rather than ~£250 I reckon that just about everyone would have them, but I believe that a large part of the extra cost is the import of them from Australia. 

OK, so the good news is that the rears are fine, loads of pad left and barely any lip on the disk. The shudder has also gone, after taking a look at the brakes I think it could have been caused by unevenness of the tire due to rubber pickup (they still have a fair bit of pickup on them after driving ~70miles).

The fronts on the other hand have very little left and a fair old lip. So, with all the advice on here (and way too much reading of reviews during my working day) I think the best route for me for long term is as follows (please let me know if its bloody stupid to do so as front and rears will be on different disks and pads)

DBA Front Disks for the longevity and stopping power with as of yet undecided pads.

The only problem I can see is that the best price listed specs the Width as 25mm rather than 24mm.

http://clarkmotorsport.co.uk/parts/4000-T3-Series-Brake-Disc---SLOTTED-(pair)/Front/DBA4650ST3P

Those are the same DBA4650S as https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/21602/DBA4650S

But with different specs! Bah.

Could someone with some knowledge confirm im looking at the right ones?

@Kaltorak If you don't want to go crazy with OE replacement discs, just go with these National Auto Brake Discs that I'm using combined with PFC Z-Rated Brake Pads.. I dare to say that PFC Z-Rated pads are the best fast road pads you can buy.. National Auto discs are cheap & cheerful replacement for stock discs. They are grooved so they improve the initial bite of the pads so it does improve braking a little bit too :) Noticeable change and for that price, you can't go wrong. We offer a forum discount as well and free UPS shipping.

[mention=3345]Kaltorak[/mention] If you don't want to go crazy with OE replacement discs, just go with these National Auto Brake Discs that I'm using combined with PFC Z-Rated Brake Pads.. I dare to say that PFC Z-Rated pads are the best fast road pads you can buy.. National Auto discs are cheap & cheerful replacement for stock discs. They are grooved so they improve the initial bite of the pads so it does improve braking a little bit too Noticeable change and for that price, you can't go wrong. We offer a forum discount as well and free UPS shipping.
Lucas do you do rears?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

@Kaltorak If you don't want to go crazy with OE replacement discs, just go with these National Auto Brake Discs that I'm using combined with PFC Z-Rated Brake Pads.. I dare to say that PFC Z-Rated pads are the best fast road pads you can buy.. National Auto discs are cheap & cheerful replacement for stock discs. They are grooved so they improve the initial bite of the pads so it does improve braking a little bit too :) Noticeable change and for that price, you can't go wrong. We offer a forum discount as well and free UPS shipping.

I mean, you also do the DBA T3s ;)

How would I go about getting the forum discount, a search on the forum doesn't reveal anything?

15 hours ago, Kaltorak said:

I mean, you also do the DBA T3s ;)

How would I go about getting the forum discount, a search on the forum doesn't reveal anything?

Put the product in your cart and use this coupon: GT86CLUB10 :) 

1 hour ago, Kaltorak said:

Cheers Lucas!

Popped the order through, now the waiting game begins! :)

Thank you! If you ever need anything else, let me know :) 

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 5:23 AM, Kaltorak said:

Hi All.

I picked up a pair of TORA Vented 299MM front and TORA 290mm vented rear and by simply buying some GTS/BRZ attach brackets that the caliper slides on and using DBA RDA extreme pads I got my temps down by 100C on decelerating run down.

No invasion of calipers is required just bolt on.

Costing PAIR TORA $89 Front AUD$ 88$ rear

Pads extreme 89$ set

Time and cost of caliper attach brackets from US $100

All done under $500AUD and stops on a dime time after time

REAR VENTED 290mm

42723452_105022097140191_580408056170204 

FRONT 299MM vented with oem calipers and GTS attach sliding bracket.

42743412_105022130473521_655964409165355

LINK to how it is done

MRT watch what this says   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9gS4vtCUQ

41 minutes ago, ZN6 said:

I picked up a pair of TORA Vented 299MM front and TORA 290mm vented rear and by simply buying some GTS/BRZ attach brackets that the caliper slides on and using DBA RDA extreme pads I got my temps down by 100C on decelerating run down.

No invasion of calipers is required just bolt on.

Costing PAIR TORA $89 Front AUD$ 88$ rear

Pads extreme 89$ set

Time and cost of caliper attach brackets from US $100

All done under $500AUD and stops on a dime time after time

REAR VENTED 290mm

42723452_105022097140191_580408056170204 

FRONT 299MM vented with oem calipers and GTS attach sliding bracket.

42743412_105022130473521_655964409165355

LINK to how it is done

MRT watch what this says   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9gS4vtCUQ

All UK cars have the larger brakes as standard apart from the very few (about 30) primo editions sold

All UK cars have the larger brakes as standard apart from the very few (about 30) primo editions sold

I have a primo and didn’t realise the brakes were different just wheel size. Am getting tuning package in a couple of weeks, does this mean that i should also beef up my brakes?. Not taking her on track. . Advice welcome please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Angelina said:

I have a primo and didn’t realise the brakes were different just wheel size. Am getting tuning package in a couple of weeks, does this mean that i should also beef up my brakes?. Not taking her on track. emoji848.png. Advice welcome please emoji56.png

To be fair the brakes being smaller is what I'd read but I haven't actually looked at a primo in person (you don't see many obviously!) Maybe @Riceburner could advise if they are the smaller ones or if they're the same as the non primos in the UK? 

Right, just for confirmation, if you go for the dba disks and yellow stuff pads you shouldn't install the anti squeal shims supplied with the pads. 

The disks are very slightly wider than standard, and the shims make the pad assembly slightly wider than normal. 

These 2 slight increases mean the pads will be in contact with the disks causing heat buildup and excessive wear if left like that. 

Big thanks to part box and lucas especially for getting to the bottom of my problems. 

To be fair the brakes being smaller is what I'd read but I haven't actually looked at a primo in person (you don't see many obviously!) Maybe [mention=231]Riceburner[/mention] could advise if they are the smaller ones or if they're the same as the non primos in the UK? 

Thanks