GT-Eighty-Chris

Intake Kit... Worth it?

You might find this video helpful. At the end they show all the others they tested, although I wouldn't believe those exact numbers?

But nice to know a rough idea. I think I wrote them all down as I got a bit fed up having to keep skipping to the end and watched the exact same testing video. Top 4 were panel/air filters, the others were induction kits. Oh and obviously there numbers make no sense with there "Gain on stock" as some are higher peak power but less gain on stock. 

DSPORT INDUCTION TESTS PEAK POWER AT RPM GAIN ON STOCK
blitz panel filter 178.67 6750 6.1
K&N Panel 178.26 6800 5.7
apexi 178.03 6750 5.5
AVO panel 178.03 6825 5.5

Injen 181.84   5.6
Takeda 182.59   6.3
Blitz intake 182.92   6.7
K&N intake 179.34   4.3
AEM 182.06   5.8
TRD 178.75   2.5
weapon R 175.6   -0.6
HKS 176.11   1.5

2 hours ago, GT-Eighty-Chris said:

One last one, will this: work with my pre-facelift GT86? http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/gt-86/zn6/engine-tuning/blitz-suction-kit-55703/ 

It will, but all that is is a metal pipe to replace the OEM rubber one.... it's not an induction kit as the OEM airbox and filter remains. If you want to do that there are the silicone options for cheaper.

Lauren: it was sarcasm. My thing is price/performancy, which intakes certainly doesn't fit. But i have seen people choosing brakes & coilovers by color and i've seen people choosing some engine ugprades judging by their looks/bling.

13 hours ago, Cerastes said:

You might find this video helpful. At the end they show all the others they tested, although I wouldn't believe those exact numbers?

But nice to know a rough idea. I think I wrote them all down as I got a bit fed up having to keep skipping to the end and watched the exact same testing video. Top 4 were panel/air filters, the others were induction kits. Oh and obviously there numbers make no sense with there "Gain on stock" as some are higher peak power but less gain on stock. 

Mostly I think this demonstrates the variance of dyno testing, but it does show the lack of seismic changes with shiny intake tubes. Bigger cone filters only help if the engine is dragging on it like a smoker fresh from a long-haul flight.

7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I wouldn't fancy the filtration qualities of an HKS filter. No idea if they have got better, but they used to be terrible. 

Seems to have been ok so far.

I used to have the Blitz SUS filter on my Celica which was a nice piece of kit. Can't bring myself to blow £300 on the GT86 Blitz SUS Induction kit - filter replacement will do for now lol!

Just now, Lauren said:

The Blitz Advance suction kit is pricey but it sounds amazing. 

yep - and would go with my blue/silver theme lol.

Sound and some performance benefit are something it would bring - but will have to wait for that until new wheels are paid for.

42 minutes ago, benmmellor said:

Seems to have been ok so far.

I used to have the Blitz SUS filter on my Celica which was a nice piece of kit. Can't bring myself to blow £300 on the GT86 Blitz SUS Induction kit - filter replacement will do for now lol!

I've done the same! Suction kit arrives tomorrow, and I think @jevvysaid he would post the K&N Filter today? 

I'll save up the the Blitz filter in the meantime (£391 on @Fensport :O. Must be worth it though)

7 minutes ago, GT-Eighty-Chris said:

I've done the same! Suction kit arrives tomorrow, and I think @jevvysaid he would post the K&N Filter today? 

I'll save up the the Blitz filter in the meantime (£391 on @Fensport :O. Must be worth it though)

I've got the HKS suction kit (pipework and filter) so will just change the filter and see how that feels/sounds for now.

May have a couple of spare HKS filters to sell on for people to try.

I got a grimmspeed intake to fit on my Car, can't wait :D Already have a cosworth panel filter and silicone hose but I want the noise and aesthetics.

Makes me laugh, people will pay 3 to 4 times as much for a cat back exhaust for the same performance gains but no one whinges about that. 

Is anyone here using the Takeda?  The reason I ask is that I had one on my CR-Z and was surprised at the additional torque I got, which you could really feel, and the considerable additional noise.  The CR-Z version is built like a big horn at the front of the engine (see photo) so I doubt that the BRZ/GT86 version will be as loud.  They are well made and I was impressed with mine, so I'm thinking about one even though I know the gains will be small.

16792818891_e37b476d4a_c.jpg

The Takeda kit for the 86 bares no resemblance to that of your CRZ. Intake noise is barely noticeable partly due to the fact most kits are fully enclosed and the snorkel in the bumper dampens the sound.

So yeah like it's been said save your money, the Takeda is no different.

I ignored most of the feedback and bought a Grimmspeed kit which is supposed to be the best out there but I still ended up selling it on (funny as it contradicts my post above :D)

Also aftermarket intake kits don't have stock intake's resonators, that delete specific frequencies, and soundtube, to pass noise in cabin. That also changes noise one hear, not just snorkel/shape.

In general, it's your money, but from intake mods on this platform only one worth doing is aftermarket dropin airfilter in stock airbox. Won't net much, but is cheap, thus good price/performancy. Aftermarket intakes cost much more, but perform only slightly better then better filter. Bigger gains reported by some might be because of slight trickery, as they may fool MAF filter due different placement/intake crosssection to make ecu from those wrong readings run engine leaner with stock ecu tune. More power but more knock. Once/if MAF sensors are recalibrated during proper ecu tuning, most of those gains are gone vs just better filter, which should provide 80% of full intake gains but for just $50. On our cars stock airbox is rather well designed and is not bottleneck even if going forced induction route.

(P.S. if one has MY2017 car with changed airbox / exhaust manifold, then one doesn't need to change even airfilter, as one of changes were making stock air filter of less pressure drop/resistance. Might be not attributable to AT ones with still old intake and European MT ones aswell (heard that not changed due stricter emission standards)).

Grimmspeed is good on accounts that it's development process was rather open (always nice to see community involved), and also it specifically was designed to NOT play with MAF sensor readings / for it to work as stock. And as i wrote, it may work a bit better then just aftermarket airfilter, but only slightly, making money better spent elsewhere, if power gains is the goal, eg. good exhaust catless header.