GT-Eighty-Chris

Intake Kit... Worth it?

I've got a K+N panel filter for sale if you fancy it hehe £35? its supposedly the best and i used it very briefly before putting in a blitz full intake replacement

Most sports car OEM intakes are exceedingly well set up with capacity to spare and tuned lengths. Protection from the elements, sufficient airflow and a bit more, stable air metering etc. are all sorted as stock. I can see the point of blocking off the noise maker, but unless you've done mental NA tuning or are boosting, you'll not be restricted by the standard panel.

The only advantage I'm aware of is with a ram scoop which can create a slightly higher ambient pressure when travelling at speed. Otherwise you just get gnarly induction noise from leaving out all the resonators.

Change the induction kit for the noise. That's really the only reason to do it. The Blitz Advance Suction kit sounds amazing. But the trouble is on these cars you only really hear the induction noise from 7K to the redline. They do sound good though. 

Yeah, maybe Church if that is your thing. I specc'd my car with an Injen Induction kit when I ordered the car, so it's been on there from new. Tis going a bit rusty now though round the housing, so not much in the way of bling there! 

4 hours ago, jevvy said:

I've got a K+N panel filter for sale if you fancy it hehe £35? its supposedly the best and i used it very briefly before putting in a blitz full intake replacement

Open questions to everyone (i literally am a noob)

Panel filter? What bit is that, what does it do, and what will providing Jevvy with £35 gain me? lol

It will gain you nothing tangibly really. It is an air filter, instead of the stock paper type one that is disposable the K&N is washable, so reusable and will provide a higher amount of airflow. Alec saw 4bhp on the rollers when testing, but you'd never notice at 2% power gain. 

The correct term is air filter, not panel filter, though it looks like a panel. Aftermarket induction kits tend to have a cone which gives more surface area. 

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It will gain you nothing tangibly really. It is an air filter, instead of the stock paper type one that is disposable the K&N is washable, so reusable and will provide a higher amount of airflow. Alec saw 4bhp on the rollers when testing, but you'd never notice at 2% power gain. 

The correct term is air filter, not panel filter, though it looks like a panel. Aftermarket induction kits tend to have a cone which gives more surface area. 

So I should fit the air filter and then put an induction afterwards? So both? Damn I'm useless haha!

No, one or the other. An induction kit replaces the OEM airbox and panel filter. You can fit that K&N to the stock box, it simply replaces the stock air filter. 

It is simply a pipe that is connected to the intake/induction piping before the throttle body that allows some of the noise to come through to the cabin. If you put on an induction kit as I have, then you lose it. Most people blank it off. It doesn't sound that good anyway. 

If you're coming to Japfest this weekend you'll see plenty of examples of induction kits and all that. 

10 minutes ago, GT-Eighty-Chris said:

Im not too fussed about the performance though, but more the sound (and I suppose bling). 

Just read about a noise generator in the foot well though? What's the deal with that? 

So basically if you lift your carpet up behind the pedals, you'll notice there's a small hole in the footwell, now open up the bonnet and you can see that the pipe goes into the intake piping just before the throttle body. 

hqdefault.jpg.3f7790f6da836d745d2b814c55bac9ad.jpg

This is basically so the engine can do this to you:

megaphone-1.jpg.cfeeae56f001a6827be4df0d4966208f.jpg

If you want to see the difference the sound generator makes you can plug it with the blanking plug from the 12V power supply in the glove box