Samsss

Tyre choices

I've stuck with the Primacy HPs on mine. But I like to slide a bit (as the car was designed to do), rather than have mega-grip :D

I've been using them in all weather and not had any grip issues in normal driving. Plus they are a bit softer over bumps than Eagle F1s etc.

@Samsss How are you getting on with the Goodyears?

Also, for everyone's info; I found this article/test although I am sure tyres perform differently on different types of cars as they appear to have done it on a front wheel drive golf. 

I am just researching at the moment as mine will need replacing soon.

Is it just me, or does everyone else get excited by tyres :unsure: :ph34r:

Edit: A bit disappointed they didn't test any Bridgestone's; the following model is coming up on black circles and looks a similar tread pattern to others. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

I had the bridgestone reo50a's on my last car. They were good when new but wore really quickly and once about half worn the performance fell off massively. (Car was fwd with a good chunk more power and torque than the 86 though).

They feel good, better in the wet which is what i was after, good grip, but feel a bit floaty at higher speeds 70 +. Cant tell if they feel really sensitive or fauge its werid. Can still play with the back end a bit but just have to be more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Has anyone used Continental Sport Contact 5's on track?

I've got an almost new one on my spare wheel, so when my Primacies come up for renewal I could save some money by going for the SC5's and only needing to buy 3.

2 minutes ago, maurice said:

Has anyone used Continental Sport Contact 5's on track?

I've got an almost new one on my spare wheel, so when my Primacies come up for renewal I could save some money by going for the SC5's and only needing to buy 3.

I did for a Curborough sprint once. I wasn't a fan - the sidewalls seemed way too soft however, I was running a slightly higher sidewall than was ideal so a better fitment may have been improved things.

Bought our PS4 from Costco, just under £380 for the 4 then there is £50 cash back

Strangely they did not add the firing charge online and the store said there was nothing more to pay

Reviews of the PS4 send to indicate it was the right the for me. I don't want to have fee a playful rear end, i don't have the skills to do that on the public road

So far, even with the freshness an  releasing agent it is night and day with the primacy.

Can't believe the Wear rating 320 iirc, they seem so grippy

Was going to get v105 until i saw this deal and the price difference was minor

I bet you searched using your registration as that will default to the lower load rating only 87

I searched on Tyre size and left load rating blank to allow choice of XL tyres 91 iirc

Just checked and prices have gone up a little

Maurice I had CS5's in size 245/40/17, they were a good performance tyre. However I'm currently running PS4's in 225/45/17 and these have way more wet and dry grip even though they are smaller in size, compound makes a hell of a difference.

I know someone will probably shoot me down for this but I have to recommend the kumho ps71s. 

I've been given a set by kumho to road test and review on my blog and they have been brilliant. 

They are the replacement to the capable ku39 tyre 

I've had them for about 2k miles on the road a track day and a round of the Toyota Sprint. 

So far the grip has been brilliant I say it rivals the yokohama v105 my girlfriend whos gt86 is fitted with the yokos says the kumho is not quite as grippy round a corner. 

We both agree the ps71s are better off the line then the yokos and so far offer better fuel economy.  

The side walls to me seem very sturdy giving a great change of direction in the wet or dry. 

Although very noisy for the first 5 miles they are the quietest tyre I've run. 

I'm a convert I'd probably pay for my next set. 

I know someone will probably shoot me down for this but I have to recommend the kumho ps71s. 

I've been given a set by kumho to road test and review on my blog and they have been brilliant. 

They are the replacement to the capable ku39 tyre 

I've had them for about 2k miles on the road a track day and a round of the Toyota Sprint. 

So far the grip has been brilliant I say it rivals the yokohama v105 my girlfriend whos gt86 is fitted with the yokos says the kumho is not quite as grippy round a corner. 

We both agree the ps71s are better off the line then the yokos and so far offer better fuel economy.  

The side walls to me seem very sturdy giving a great change of direction in the wet or dry. 

Although very noisy for the first 5 miles they are the quietest tyre I've run. 

I'm a convert I'd probably pay for my next set. 

I wouldn't shoot you down... I've run the KU39s on a number of cars, including a 280bhp FWD Saab which needed all the help it could get... and I think they're great. Like the Yokohamas, they punch above their weight.

I'd have probably fitted a set to the 86 if it weren't for the ready supply in Macc of very reasonably priced Yokohamas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Getting tempted by the PS4s I have to say, they look really good.

1 hour ago, TTR said:

They are really good :D

They get a +1 from me. Highly recommended!

I'd certainly try the bridgestone re002s. They are on the permitted list. Highly recommended and won't disappoint.

I will be replacing my set with re003s if they ever release them in the u.k. If not I will certainly buy another set of re002s. Best grip I've had compared to my other tyres I've had. Stiff side wall too. 

Had Dunlop rts and yoko v105 both great but on pure grip the re002s holds on like a ex wife in court :)

Point to note I'd say the v105 are a better all round performer but if your after grip and bang for buck re002s.

I always used Michelin PS3s on my last car and stood by them, was gonna go for them again or try PS4s when I got my new wheels.. But opted to try Avon ZZ5s this time at 2/3rds the cost, dry grip is very impressive, wet grip I can't say, its not rained yet.. :lol:

On 05/03/2017 at 9:11 PM, Rich said:

FWIW black circles is cheaper - £68.95 for a V105S and PS4 are £91.20. About the same difference.

Is that unfitted? Best I can find is £85 for the yokos and £106 for the ps4s. With that much of a price difference I'm really in two minds.

45 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Is that unfitted? Best I can find is £85 for the yokos and £106 for the ps4s. With that much of a price difference I'm really in two minds.

I'm pretty sure it was, yes. Blackcircles is the cheapest I've found for PS4s, which I am getting shortly.

7 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Blackcircles is the site I'm using £106 fitted I'm afraid. Price must have gone up.

https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=320&typ=R-300291&partner=1&ID=psm_rdg_uk_tyrereviews&Country=GUK

£93.83 delivered seems to be the cheapest I can see currently

Blackcircles currently quoting £92.57 unfitted, or £106.97 fitted. Seems they've gone up a quid or so since my post.

I'm waiting for Rich from RRG to see if he can haggle down his supplier though. ;)

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Blackcircles currently quoting £92.57 unfitted, or £106.97 fitted. Seems they've gone up a quid or so since my post.

I'm waiting for Rich from RRG to see if he can haggle down his supplier though. ;)

If you go up a size to 225/45 then they are about £10 cheaper a corner. The PS4's are quite narrow tyres like the Primacy's so 225/45 would be a nice square fit.

don: are you sure on PS4 narrow bit? At least actual thread patch width of PSS-es even of stock size was much wider.

Noticed 225 being cheaper too. No clue, related to what. 215 were of very few sizes for PS4 being of non-XL extra load, imho price should be other way around.