Samsss

Tyre choices

2 minutes ago, Kaisersalsek said:

Just wondering, has anyone tried the advan neovas at all? 

The AD08? It's a discontinued tyre, that I don't think should be in the 1A list. It's successor the AD08R is in list 1B. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

It doesn't say PS4, therefore it isn't in the list. It doesn't say 'the Pilot Sport range in general is allowed', it lists specific tyres. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the 1A list which is where I would expect it to fall. But not on the list means it hasn't been classified, so technically you can't use it. 

So what does it mean when it says "Pilot Sport*(excludes all Pilot Cup and Competition tyres)". As that sounds fairly like they're talking about a range of tyres as opposed to just a single one. 

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

In stock size they're £95.78 so £383.12 for 4 and v105's are showing as £73.56 or £294.24 for 4 on love tyres which seems to be the cheapest place I can see. So they're £90 more for the 4 which is a bit more palatable than £200.

FWIW black circles is cheaper - £68.95 for a V105S and PS4 are £91.20. About the same difference.

So can anyone who's tried both the PS4s and the v105s comment on how the Michelins are better than the Yokos? I'm prepared to believe it, but I'm so happy with the Yokohamas I can't really see I'd want more wet or dry grip, or indeed progression which is just right. Albeit I'm running slightly wider tyres than stock on 18x8s so I have higher grip than normal...

I have found on certain cars that Michelin are good at balancing grip and wear rate - so they do sometimes pay for themselves that way, but I guess to early to tell for the PS4s

Comparison with the Primacies seems a bit futile as my Kumho snow tyres on 16x7 wheels are better than those ;-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to try PS4s when I next need tyres, but they're a fair premium over the V105S and I've had very good life out of my Yokos, so I doubt the Michelins will do better there.

5 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

So can anyone who's tried both the PS4s and the v105s comment on how the Michelins are better than the Yokos? I'm prepared to believe it, but I'm so happy with the Yokohamas I can't really see I'd want more wet or dry grip, or indeed progression which is just right. Albeit I'm running slightly wider tyres than stock on 18x8s so I have higher grip than normal...

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm tempted to try PS4s when I next need tyres, but they're a fair premium over the V105S and I've had very good life out of my Yokos, so I doubt the Michelins will do better there.

@Minion has been in my car with PS4's on the rear, but runs V105's on his TRD. So maybe he can provide a view. 

15 hours ago, TTR said:

@Minion has been in my car with PS4's on the rear, but runs V105's on his TRD. So maybe he can provide a view. 

His ps4's have an absurd amount of grip but they are 10mm wider & he has coilovers. My V105's are ran on stock suspension & are 225/40/18. I would say if you are tracking your car fairly often or very fast road driving then the ps4 is for you but if like me you don't really track and only occasional fast driving on the road then I would say the V105 would be my option. The thing I love with the V105 is it has the perfect amount of grip but will still let you get the tail out when you require a bit of fun, the only downside I do have is that the wear on them doesn't seem that great but whether that is my driving or just the general tyre I'm unsure.

I'd add that the V105 is great on the track too. I haven't tried the PS4, but two weeks ago at Oulton, I had no problem passing pretty much everything I encountered. They work well as a daily tyre on the road too. As for wear, I get 7K out of the rears and 21K or so out of the fronts. But I do play with the rear end a lot so I would expect most to get far more out of the rears than I do. 

Potenza adrenalin re002 amazing bang for buck and can out perform most uhp tires. dry and wet grip are excellent. tread pattern is aggressive and complements aftermarket wheels. yes there are better tires but for the price and the premium brand it is a no brainer. designed for light weight  sports cars. hoon daily or track. 

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/products/products-bridgestone-potenza-adrenalin-re002-review/

I'm still thinking about tyres (currently Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4) but as someone who doesn't go on the track, I have some other considerations - road noise and comfort. For people who have these tyres, how do they compare with the Primacy's on both of these factors? As a bonus question, how does the load factor number actually come into play? Looking at the Goodyear, it seems there is an option of 87 or 91 with 91 giving a 'C' rating for fuel efficiency vs 'E' on the 87.

By comparison, the Primacy's have an 'E' rating for fuel efficiency. Has anyone switching from the Primacy's noticed any improvement on the consumption side of things?

11 minutes ago, Willtl said:

I'm still thinking about tyres (currently Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4) but as someone who doesn't go on the track, I have some other considerations - road noise and comfort. For people who have these tyres, how do they compare with the Primacy's on both of these factors? As a bonus question, how does the load factor number actually come into play? Looking at the Goodyear, it seems there is an option of 87 or 91 with 91 giving a 'C' rating for fuel efficiency vs 'E' on the 87.

By comparison, the Primacy's have an 'E' rating for fuel efficiency. Has anyone switching from the Primacy's noticed any improvement on the consumption side of things?

The Goodyear definitely has better road manners than the PS4. Had my car been road only,  I would've gone for the Asymmetric 3 without a doubt. 

I ran Goodyears on my previous car, they're some of the quietest tyres I've ever used. If noise is a concern I think you'll find them hard to beat.

Thanks. I think there was a deal at Costco on Goodyear a couple of weeks back but the deal is now for Michelin (£50 voucher when you buy a set of 4). Think I'll wait for the next round of Goodyear deals.

10 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Thanks. I think there was a deal at Costco on Goodyear a couple of weeks back but the deal is now for Michelin (£50 voucher when you buy a set of 4). Think I'll wait for the next round of Goodyear deals.

http://www.costco.co.uk/goodyear_promotion - Just found that on the website which might interest you?

I think I'm going to wait until near winter before replacing. Lots of tread left and should hopefully be clear of poor rear grip for most of this year.

Do they? That's baffling as I thought one of the main points of the Primacy in its usual application was being eco-friendly?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eco friendly does include a long service life, and they sure are hard wearing. It seems the Eagle F1 is a soft tyre, so grip is great, but durability low.

Load rating somewhat relates to side-wall stiffness, so the stiffer sidewall will improve efficiency a bit, but we're not talking transformation here. The changes will be dwarfed by variations in usage and tyre pressure, you'd only see an improvement over many months. It will also alter the ride quality a bit, sharper turn-in, bumpier ride.