Lauren

2017 MY Kouki GT86 Review

The new kouki GT86 is out. Kouki? Let me explain, the GT86, just like it's spiritual daddy, the AE86 now has an early and late model with the arrival of the revised car. These have always been called 'Zenki' (Japanese for early) and 'Kouki', which means late). I own a kouki AE86 and a zenki GT86. Got it? 

We've all seen pictures of the new model and I know that a number of us have seen it in the flesh and the feedback has been somewhat mixed. The changes to the revised model are numerous and more than skin deep. There are the obvious changes styling wise of which more later, but there are also a number of points in the chassis that have been reinforced as well as strengthening to the engine block. The main mechanicals for the European market in respect of engine power and final drive have not been changed. 

I always felt that the old car was stiff in it's chassis rigidity, but Toyota have focused on reinforcing the front suspension towers, a thicker reinforcement to the transmision mounting bracket, additional spot welds in the rear wheel arches and a thicker rear panel. The rear anti-roll bar has also seen an increase in diameter. 

Toyota along with friend of the club and chief engineer Tetsuya Tada talk of increased aerodynamic performance too. The often divisive opinions in regard to the new shark like front end of the kouki GT86 are there to increase air flow. This is also evident with the rear diffuser set at a 45 degree angle to aid airflow with the new rear spoiler creating a downforce 'effect' to help stability at speed. Tada San was very keen on the changes only being there to optimise handling and stability. 

32944962756_ee0474f169_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Here we can see the new rear lights and spoiler, I know that the zenki rear lights have been the subject of much debate, but I think most are liking the new style of lights, even though it's lost it's nod to the 2000GT: 

32861010321_eb4ee860fd_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

32861006641_f843582d6f_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Here you can see the new diffuser: 

32861013781_f008620530_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

The kouki GT86 now gets some new wheels too, though they are quite similar in theme to the older style wheels I think and I do wonder if Toyota could have been a bit more exciting, with their wheel options here. 

32861003941_ea764a53ce_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Much has been said about the interior differences with a new dash layout and a perceived improvement in quality of the feel of being in the car. This is important I think, because if there is one thing that I have always found to be a dissappointment, it's the relative cheap feel to a lot of the plastics used. I may indeed be something of a weirdo, but tactile feel and the perceived quality of such things are important to me. Yes, I do like to touch car interiors and test the finish and fit! Whilst padded plastics on the door panels and centre console would improve the ambience for me, these are still omitted. However, the change to suede for the door and dash coverings does lift the interior a bit. The seats also look a bit nicer with their perforated alcantara and nice clean stitching, add a lift and go someway into giving the car a more premium feel. 

32861026301_46f695fc69_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

I must admit, I really like the new dash with it's new configurable screen that gives us a number of options to look at. The rev counter is repositioned too with peak power being at the top, it has been rotated slightly anti-clockwise which allows the multi-function display screen on the dash to fit. 

Here is what I call the default display which people will use. The best thing about it, is it finally has oil temperature which is a brilliant and essential addition at least in my eyes, note it has hill start assist and that I have set it in track mode: 

32831255102_d92508a20b_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

It's at this point that I realise that I didn't take a picture of the new steering wheel with it's multifunction buttons that control the display which can let you select a variety of options from lap timing to G-force and also a display that shows the power output as the revs rise. Here's the power output one:

32141667544_1dcdc69f86_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

In all honesty, I found these to be more of a distraction than helpful whilst driving, so I tended to use the display with the temperatures. I should add the new steering wheel is a little thinner and also slightly smaller than the old one. It has a nice feel and is more comfortable. The steering wheel buttons don't get in the way, so I can't see a downside to that. 

But, I hear you ask, what is it like to drive? Initial impressions on a 6C morning in Macclesfield heading up on my usual test route (the 'Lauren Triangle') takes a nice easy drive out of Macclesfield on the A534, warming the fluids, before heading up the A54 at Boseley and then down the infamous A537 Cat and Fiddle. The first thing that struck me was how the car feels in terms of build quality. It's that little bit quieter and I wonder if the chassis reinforcements have helped a bit with this. The spring rates have now been softened a little, though the car still rides much like the old stock car did before. There is still that perceptible 'bobbling' of the dampers not feeling settled at 20-30mph, though things improve after that and the ride feels well resolved. The immediate impression was that the new car was a little more refined with a bit less road noise and being able to give the kind of ride that a non-enthusiast would be quite happy with. So the car will have a broader appeal here and as a daily driver proposition it will be just a little easier to live with. Small changes, but they all count. 

Richard at RRG Toyota Macclesfield, likes to play with his demonstrators a little, so no GT86 demonstrator would be complete without an aftermarket exhaust and an induction kit. Richard likes to try different options on all his demonstrators. This one has a secondary decat with a Cobra unresonated exhaust and a rather nice Takeda carbon fibre induction kit. Not a cheap option at around £600, but it does look rather good! 

32861017551_45e0f55523_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

As we edge out of Macclesfield and the car warms up, I find myself in familiar terrritory. The new car doesn't feel that different to the old when you go round a corner, I was worried that it would understeer with the reduction in spring rates, though perhaps the thicker rear anti-roll bar evens this out. The balance of the car does not feel much different. We take the familiar left turn up the A54 at Boseley, which will see us head up a nice winding road right up the the top at the Cat and Fiddle. This is my first opportunity to open the car up. I should add it's cold and the conditions are wet and greasy. I keep reminding myself I am on the Primacy tyre! 

I opted to drive in simply 'Track' mode as I drive my car in VSC Sport mode in these conditions and I really wanted to see if it allowed more slip with the revisions to the stability control system. Out of the first little left right sequence of bends, I get on the power early in second gear. A quick correction is needed, but it's easy and familiar territory, no surprises there then. No intervention from the stability control either. As we head up into the Peak District a Golf GTI ahead wants to play, but I'm trying to review a car here, so I do my best to hold back, I already know he doesn't provide much of a challenge, so I keep to the task in hand. This car seems to ride bumps better than my car dropped on it's coilovers and pot holes become less of a concern. The lower spring rates though and damping, don't quite keep the new car as tied down as mine. But it's good and as we head into the fog much to my frustration, I think about how it feels at cruising speeds. You know the scenario, no opportunity to go fast, but just cruising along with the plodders. It feels good, it's quieter, though that induction kit sounds good and particularly so at 7000rpm and above. Nice. Exhaust is a personal preference of course, but I didn't quite get on with the tone of the Cobra. It's loud. Richard loves it though! 

As we near the top of the A54, I feel like traffic has got in the way, so we hope for a clearer run down the Cat and Fiddle. It's worth noting that driving this road is always better on the downhill. It always reminds me of Initial D in that respect! 

On the Cat and Fiddle: 

32831261342_a44202bacd_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

32831263542_cc017135d0_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

And so it begins, passing the still boarded up pub at the top and straight into 'Moisties' and into the banked right of 'Balcony' (yes all the bends are named). The fog has gone, but the roads are greasy and I'm still on Primacy tyres. I opt to take the soft option of playing in the lower gears as I don't want to fully test the lateral grip of Primacy tyres in these conditions. As I exit the first few hairpins, with a clear road, I can begin to get into something of a rhythm, I push the car wide on the exit and grab a good quarter turn of opposite lock, just to nudge where the stability control will intervene. Sure enough the dash lights are flashing, but it seems to allow a bit more slip and doesn't cut in as harshly as VSC Sport mode. In my older car, in these conditions, I would probably opt to turn everthing off to allow some more slip, though losing the safety net of stability control. This doesn't seem necessary in the new car though as it allows a bit more angle. The car is easy to control with power oversteer and the diff hooks up just like it always does. Reassuring and I feel like I'm beginning to find some grip in the Primacy tyres. 

My confidence improves, I'm not feeling any understeer though, but I'm not pushing into the corners as it's just not worth it given the tricky conditions. The new car plays just like the old car does, as I focus on getting feel out of steering and chassis. I've always felt that the Primacy tyre is a bit 'glassy' in feel and that they don't offer much bite on turn in, but the chassis of this car is good enough that you can still delve into the layers of feel. Typically for me, it takes me to get a third of the way down the 'Cat and then I get into the zone, I can put the car where I want, I know every minutae of detail of every corner of this road and I know where I can take liberties and where it's best avoided. I approach my favourite corner, a downhill right hander that goes up on the exit, the road is clear and I can use it all. Brilliant, I admit I would charge it harder in my car, but this car feels so good, my confidence is there immediately. Whilst I can feel the familiar hole in the torque curve of a stock car (a remap makes a big difference here), it's a not an issue where engine speeds are kept high. 

As we pull over for some pics, I note that the oil temperature is around 115C. I do think an oil cooler is a good idea if I can achieve these kind of temperatures on the public road in such slippery conditions. I like the feel of the new steering wheel, it is an obvious improvement over the previous car, the buttons on the wheel not interfering at all. I try at this point to look at the g-force meter and the power readings on the display, but I honestly think they become more of a distraction when driving and I didn't want to try and find 1G on the reading today! 

32141665764_23c990ff17_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

So, it's all good. I can't see a downside to the new model. Some will talk about the styling not being to their taste, but such things grow on you in my experience. The car overall is a little bit nicer inside and I love the new dash with it's oil temperature display. A bit more refinement is no bad thing. The chassis does not feel markedly different. I couldn't really tell today and maybe a dry road in better temperatures would reveal more, what the chassis reinforcements mean, but the car felt stiff and accurate, placing it where I wanted it was no issue. 

Here's the bonus, a spare wheel! 

32831253572_0fd1b04abf_c.jpg2017 GT86 Review Feb 17 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

When I got back to RRG Macclesfield, Miles had kindly put my name on the white one in the showroom! It's very tempting, I admit! :) 

As I get into my car, a modified 2013 GT86, I note that the steering feels heavier and the car feels glued to the tarmac, with a greater precision and even more feel.  More hardcore yes, but that's why I like it and that's why I modify my cars. I reckon the new one would be just to my liking with the same kind of mods. There's a white one in the showroom, but it's got my name on it. ;)

Spare wheel instead of tire repair kit .. one of 1st mods i did on my zenki :). I'll keep current aygo cone, pictured wider foam dish (IIRC FR-Ses on other side of pond had similar) wouldn't let me use spacesaver donut wheel's inside for storage as much as i'd want to.

BTW, how usable were stereo controls on new wheel, or you didn't tried those?

52 minutes ago, Church said:

BTW, how usable were stereo controls on new wheel, or you didn't tried those?

I didn't turn the stereo on. They look simple enough, like most Toyotas so I don't expect that would be an issue. I spent more time playing with the dash via the steering wheel controls. 

So far from everything described new in kouki main selling point in my eyes is track mode, as VSC is one i daily drive with 99% of time on public roads, then "allows a bit more angle" & "doesn't cut in as harshly" would be what i'd love to get, but most probably due that being closed binary code in ecu or TC firmwares and due 2017's ecu flash firmwares not being backward compatible, unchanged VSC with all it's flaws will be there in my zenki forever.

Yeah, there's not much you can do about that, Church. But it's hardly a big issue. If I feel it's being too intrusive I just turn everything off. For the most part it's okay. Or you could just buy the new one. Sorted! ;)

I must admit, in years to come, people will favour the kouki over the zenki, just like with the AE86. When I was looking for an AE86 some six years ago, I spent my time to make sure I got a kouki as it has a better interior (no crazy colours) and some other revisions like an uprated diff and the like. 

I'm not sure on that. I don't dislike the new front-end - I think it looks alright, but I'm not sure it's going to age very well compared to the original. Might go the way of the 996 911, but who knows.

Looks like RRG have already removed the Toyota badge from the boot, surprising for a dealer demo!

14 minutes ago, maurice said:

I'm not sure on that. I don't dislike the new front-end - I think it looks alright, but I'm not sure it's going to age very well compared to the original. Might go the way of the 996 911, but who knows.

Looks like RRG have already removed the Toyota badge from the boot, surprising for a dealer demo!

The new car does not have the Toyota badge. Nothing has been removed. 

I must admit, I care little about the different front end which I think people will get used to, but the greater rigidity and nicer interior make it a no brainer in this one being more desirable in the long run. 

I also think the front end will look better when the car is lowered a bit, it always helps. 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

As we pull over for some pics, I note that the oil temperature is around 115C. I do think an oil cooler is a good idea if I can achieve these kind of temperatures on the public road in such slippery conditions. 

This is very interesting. To hit those kind of oil temps in that kind of weather and driving definitely suggests an oil cooler is a good plan.

Totally agree, Jeff. I was holding the car at high revs in second gear and having a bit of a blast in third, but it's mostly downhill, there were a number of full throttle moments, but it was only 6C and very slippery. It did surprise me that the oil temp got so high. I commented to Richard that as you say, they should have considered fitting an oil cooler. It's odd when you think about it, as going back to older Toyota's the UK specs always had oil coolers fitted whereas the JDM cars didn't. 

You'd likely find your car gets to the same temperatures, it's just you can't see it. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

When you have an oil temp gauge it's scary how hot it gets so quickly whilst on track.

I used to hit 120C easy on a hoon in a completely stock car. In the summer I'd often get to 130C. On track in the summer hottest I saw was 139C stable.

Great review. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do it. I was interested in your comment about the Kouki being more desirable than the Zenki later on. I have a Kouki Honda S2000 and that's certainly the case with that car, but it's a bit annoying when you have a Zenki.

Great review Lauren. I plan to have a drive of one at some point. Perhaps when mine goes in for the power steering recall. Glad to hear there isnt a significant improvement. I'd hate to have to remove all my bits and have to put them on a new car!

Just my opinion on oil coolers:

The ecu cuts power at 140C oil temp. Also the location it is measured is the hottest point right after the oil pump. It gets cooled by the block before entering the crank/bearings.

Id say the fact that the ecu cuts power shows the engineers considered oil temperatures and engine damage so they were clearly okay with those sorts of temperatures and using a good 0W20. Just my opinion but unless you like long track sessions an oil cooler just adds another failure point on an N/A car.

I ran 4 trackdays where oil was stable at 135-140C in 2015 on completely stock car. Also almost weekly in yhe summer the oil was taken up to 120C+ on hoons. So far I haven't had any issues from doing that.

Fair comment Ade and I guess what we have to remember is that whilst the older cars had oil coolers (I'm talking old Toyotas) there has been some progress indeed in regard to oil technology, so I think we're likely worried about running oil temps, but the newer oils probably stand up far better than the old stuff. So there is that. I'm guessing 125C for oil temps is no real issues. I've not seen mine go above this, though I admit I lifted off when it got to this temperature. 

My car has done it's fair share of track work without issue. I'm just 94K miles, so it doesn't seem to be an issue. 

Interesting to see that there's a space saver in there @Lauren.  Were you able to confirm with RRG that that is now a stock thing? Or whether they had added it for piece of mind on their demo car?

I'll certainly be checking the boot of mine when it arrives now!

I'd love to get alloy space saver. But seems that no such for 5x100 exists, google finds some only for bmw-s/mercs/audis with different PCD :(. Still, even steelie is better then default pre MY2017 useless tire repair kit.

30 minutes ago, Church said:

I'd love to get alloy space saver. But seems that no such for 5x100 exists, google finds some only for bmw-s/mercs/audis with different PCD :(. Still, even steelie is better then default pre MY2017 useless tire repair kit.

Rover 75/MG ZT is 5x100 and should have a space saver

1 hour ago, BristolLee said:

Interesting to see that there's a space saver in there @Lauren.  Were you able to confirm with RRG that that is now a stock thing? Or whether they had added it for piece of mind on their demo car?

Yes it is absolutely stock. RRG did not put it in. Richard was just as surprised to find it. Just thought I'd check and there it was. 

30 minutes ago, Church said: I'd love to get alloy space saver. But seems that no such for 5x100 exists, google finds some only for bmw-s/mercs/audis with different PCD . Still, even steelie is better then default pre MY2017 useless tire repair kit.

Rover 75/MG ZT is 5x100 and should have a space saver

Certain Subaru Forester space savers also fit, I got a second hand one from eBay for £15.