Lauren

2017 MY Kouki GT86 Review

3 hours ago, Riceburner said:

I will leave this here for you Rich ,price for spare space saver with fixings   £287.12 inc vat.

:blink:

I want a spacesaver wheel, not a forged alloy. ;)

Mike: "Proper spare" - full size one? It will also be heavier, you'll need to order boot liner from Australia with needed rise for it in middle, it will rob space from not that big boot to begin with. Imho space savers are reasonable compromise if one weights all pros & cons.

As for price of one? There were several threads around in past how to get fitting donut wheel for cheap from subaru brakers. If one wish, simpler to find out part numbers & order just 'native' mount screw & foam dish on top instead of previously suggested Aygo foam cone. £287.12 sounds .. overpriced, mildly put.

@Church already got the boot liner, doesn't really take up much space tbh, only thing you lose is the flatness to the boot. One major upside that I found in Scotland was I can wedge my suitcase against it and the bootlid and it doesn't move about at all!

12 hours ago, DanJ said:

Certain Subaru Forester space savers also fit, I got a second hand one from eBay for £15.

Any idea which ones fit? Also what's the best bet for bolting it down?

12 hours ago, DanJ said:  

Certain Subaru Forester space savers also fit, I got a second hand one from eBay for £15.

Any idea which ones fit? Also what's the best bet for bolting it down?

I'll try and find the emails from eBay and let you know. There's a threaded tie down and a foam cone from a Toyota Aygo that stops the boot carpet from dipping as well.

Rich: there were few threads about it. For example this. More pics with it fitted. There are two subaru 16", one that fits over our brakes, one that don't. And there is also 17"  with many holes in wheel (one i have, and use also as storage bin, #1, #2, and mount place for fire extinquisher, to save cabin & boot space). This donut wheel costed me ~30eur in local subaru brakeyard, + these for mounting:

Y51931-0H010 (N/STK CARRIER, S/WHEEL) - £4.71 + VAT
Y64777-0D060 (N/STK CUSHION, SPARE) - 13.71 + VAT
Wheel in boot secured with Toyota Part# Y51931-0H010 (N/STK CARRIER, S/WHEEL) - £4.71 + VAT

From all of my driving experience i got flat on average once per two years. In all cases i could rely enough to get to destination or to closest tire shop where with big probability punctured one can be repaired (unlike one full of tire repair kit foam gunk, many shops refuse to deal with, and that hasn't helped in many puncture cases dispite what statistics say that it should) for cheap, to not worry of having just one tire of different type/wear level or to not spend extra on buying at least two same tires for complete one end replacement. As it rare enough occasion to need it, i see not enough reason to lessen boot's space and bring extra weight for all the other days per those years.

P.S.

It's also written in manual, but just for any case reminding: on cars with limited slip diff (ours too) you should put wheel that differs from other side on car's end without it (it's same for FWD cars with LSD diff, just for other end). Even small differences in wheel size can result in diff working all the time like in turn, even when you drive straight, overheating and quickly wearing out. So if you puncture rear one, advisable to mount one front wheel in it's place & put spacesaver in front.

Hint #2: as it's rarely used many tend to forget .. it's advisable at least once per year check air pressure in spare too. It doesn't feel funny if when finally after many years one needs it, it's flat too, lol :D

Good points. I've had one flat, which was ~4cm tear in the sidewall and thus not repairable with the gunk. Luckily it was mid-afternoon so I just got towed to the second nearest tyre shop (the nearest didn't have any 215/45/17 tyres). Would have been a real pain if it were in the night though.

Out if interest, @Riceburner is the foam insert there available separately for a non-crazy price? If it's similar to the Aygo cone price it might be useful (though the storage space without it might also be useful).

MY2017's foam bin for spare looks very much like Scion FR-S one. Scion used same part system as Toyota and has common part numbers for most of parts, so probably you can search also for FR-S parts for part number.

On 20/02/2017 at 7:11 PM, Lauren said:

Yes it is absolutely stock. RRG did not put it in. Richard was just as surprised to find it. Just thought I'd check and there it was. 

Awesome! Fingers crossed mine will have one too then. 

Cheers for the reply. That Takeda intake is gorgeous too, but $200 more than the otherwise identical 'normal' version is quite a step 

Got a poke around the RRG demonstrator this morning...

I'm not a change my car every couple of years kind of person, but anyone who is will find enough improvements to be glad of the swap.

The interior is the big thing. Really much much better in terms of perceived quality.

As for the rest, the wheels look better than the old ones when you see them in the metal, the back end is tidied up a treat, and the front is probably marginally better too in real life. The bumper is fine, and the headlights are neater.

A successful facelift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you don't mind me tagging my two cents of BRZ action to the end of this thread?

Popped into my "local" stealer for the power steering recall and they had three MY 2017 BRZs sitting there, sadly none for me to drive :( I did still have a nosey around to check out the new bits. Pretty much as per Lauren's excellent review in the OP but the BRZ has had more of a face widening than lift. The corners of the front bumper seem to be sticking out a bit further to me and a bit more fussy round the fog, despite the loss of the separate DRL.

mwN4Z6O.jpg

I won't be splashing out on the new headlights, even if they are retrofit, not a fan of the six LEDs personally. Internally though, I am jealous of the new, covered dash insert in front of the passenger. It fits in very nicely with the rest of the padding and cuts down the acres of plastic.

inY3Z30.jpg

For every positive there is a negative, namely the piano black dash around the headunit. Will someone at Subaru please think of the fingerprints??? Love the new headunit controls on the steering wheel, I miss these from my Zed. But I think I prefer the split spoke at 6 o'clock on the Mk1. Back outside again, I wasn't exactly blown away by the new wheels nor the rear spoiler (think of the PITA of drying between it and the boot lid!), I do strongly approve of the shark fin antenna. Last but not least the new key fob is so much better, metal, heavy and premium feeling - if this is backward compatible, I'll be having one.

All in all it's a modest improvement IMO, taken as a whole cosmetic package. On one hand I'd have liked to take it for a spin, but it was also hurling down sleet and snow, so probably best I didn't. I won't be reaching for the finance agreement just yet.

The surround around the head unit, is a bit fussy. That padded panel doesn't look as nice as the GT86 suede effect. It's odd how Subaru just don't seem to make any effort with it. 

15 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The surround around the head unit, is a bit fussy. That padded panel doesn't look as nice as the GT86 suede effect. It's odd how Subaru just don't seem to make any effort with it. 

The headunit stuff is indeed a horror show.

Not seen an alcantara panel, I thought the 86 came with the, err, interesting, carbon effect finish? I'd be tempted by something soft touch instead.

I have no problem with the clock. Doesn't pretty much every car have a digital clock? Even if it's in the dash display. It ain't broke, seems to work just fine. 

Wasn't retro-ish digital clock intentional stylistic element / paying homage to original AE86's?

Well if it is, Toyota put it in most of their other cars too. Don't mind it - but it is a quirk...

19 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

This is the new Toyota satnav. Set into a simple one piece alcantara covered panel running right across the dash. They've really nailed it this time.

818d3fed55705651d9d8d5d4952d860d.jpg

Is this something that would swap over and fit into a pre-facelift gt86 does anyone know?