Cerastes

My car has had a remap?

6 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Paul tell us more... ignition retarded on overrun? Was this something you asked for.

Add fuel, retard ignition. Been playing with my settings for some time. Had one map where it would sound like it was really flaming out the rear...... big ol bangs. Too much fuel, it's really noticeable too on the fuel gauge.

54 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Kill joy.

Paul tell us more... ignition retarded on overrun? Was this something you asked for.

Yeah, because Adrian said he could customise the maps however I wanted, mine are setup like:

1) Full power, no extras

2) All extras, no pops or bangs

3) All extras, pops and bangs

4) 95 ron map

Works exactly how @knightryder describes, and is definitely noticeable on the fuel gauge. Also sounds brilliant and it's great fun pulling up next to someone at high revs on the carriageway and just letting straight off the throttle, apply a tiny bit of pressure and POP BANG POP POP!

My commute is only 10 miles down carriageways so I find enjoyment where I can!

And who cares about cats when it's not MOT time anyway? =D

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

sounds brilliant and it's great fun pulling up next to someone at high revs on the carriageway and just letting straight off the throttle, apply a tiny bit of pressure and POP BANG POP POP!

And who cares about cats when it's not MOT time anyway? =D

If you don't run a cat then it's not an issue but it does degrade them. It wouldn't be uncommon for it to break them up, potentially leading to a blocked exhaust, loss of power etc. ;) Just something to be aware of.

I'm about to try a method that needs no throttle applying (minor brainwave last night) for it to work as it's the one thing that lets this mod down at the moment. I'll see if it works.

Did someone say cats?

I did ask for a bit of popping etc when I got mine done but it really doesn't do it enough, only time it does it regularly is shifting from 1st to 2nd.

My third map is pointless as it's the same as 2 but adds autoblip which I have no interest in so I might ask Mark to replace it with some silly one when I'm there for my March service. Need to switch the map changing too really as I've been looking at steering wheels...

I like the idea of this. Getting more and more convinced to get my car mapped. I've read somewhere that ignition timing has more of an effect than altering how much fuel it being delivered. That would help with fuel consumption and cat life. 

Perhaps he's changed his mind, but when I had my first remap by Adrian he said it isn't feasible to have proper pops and bangs. I assume it was because I had cats and to get pops and bangs fuelling would be so far from 'optimal' and possibly damage the cats. That's not what he said, it's what I assumed.

Catless would be different.

My Griff pre-cat was epic with 'minimal' silencing or straight-through. Foot long flames, pops, bangs and crackles - sounded like a machine gun sometimes. But that's a 4.3 litre V8 with no cats and one of Clive's 'special' manifolds. Happy times. B)

2 hours ago, LordGrover said:

Perhaps he's changed his mind, but when I had my first remap by Adrian he said it isn't feasible to have proper pops and bangs. I assume it was because I had cats and to get pops and bangs fuelling would be so far from 'optimal' and possibly damage the cats. That's not what he said, it's what I assumed.

If you only have the second cat, you can probably get it to combust in the manifold (or at least dump enough fuel through the second cat). With both cats you're really asking too much I think.

Mark managed to get pops and bangs working on mine when I still had second stock cat in place, before turbo. It popped like crazy.

However, the car failed MOT by a country mile with the stock second cat in place, so I don't think it's exactly healthy to run a pops and bangs map with a cat.

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

I had the pops and bangs off when it went through MOT, naturally. ;)

that's not the issue, the issue is when you're driving with the pops and bangs that's what degrades and damages the cat so the effect will appear during the mot even if you have the map without it

3 hours ago, Tareim said:

that's not the issue, the issue is when you're driving with the pops and bangs that's what degrades and damages the cat so the effect will appear during the mot even if you have the map without it

Yep, absolutely right. Mine was running with that map for probably 6 months, and I used the map a fair bit as it was great for being antisocial. I'm sure the cat was screwed after that.

31 minutes ago, don said:

I presume that it be possible to remove cold start from the map?

Yes. It still spikes on start up but quietens off much quicker.

This is mine:-

Qulaity isn't great as it's just my girlfriends phone recording it but you get the idea