Nicebiscuit

The Wheels Thread

42 minutes ago, Lauren said:

2-3 seconds is actually a lot IME. In fact it's a huge amount!

I switched from stock to lightweight wheels and I think it makes a big difference to how the car feels. The advantages are everywhere. The only slight downside is that heavier wheels seem to give a better ride, but that's it. 

Just to clarify, 2-3s on a lap is huge. But if you're accepting 0.2 - 0.3 for every time you brake / accelerate, it soon adds up to 2 seconds.

How noticeable is the ride quality with lighter wheels? Looking at reducing the weight by a bit over 2kg than what I've got on already.

15 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I just looked up the weight of these. The 17x7.5's weigh the same as my wheels, except mine are 18x8.5, and mine aren't exactly considered light (around 9.7kg each). That's nuts.

42 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Do you know what I nearly bought a set of these. I really like the RSF5, then like yourself discovered how heavy they were, and how expensive they were for a gravity cast wheel! I won't buy Enkei wheels, they are overpriced. I can't find anything else like them unfortunately, only Advan AVS Model T5 but these latest versions don't look as good as the original model 5.

They do look good. Kinda remind me of a Ferrari

2005-Ferrari-F430-Front-Wheel-1600x1200.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Just to clarify, 2-3s on a lap is huge. But if you're accepting 0.2 - 0.3 for every time you brake / accelerate, it soon adds up to 2 seconds.

How noticeable is the ride quality with lighter wheels? Looking at reducing the weight by a bit over 2kg than what I've got on already.

I couldn't comment on lighter wheels, but the ride felt noticeably more compliant when I went to heavier, wider 18's, but I also had a tyre change too which may have contributed.

Despite that, I can't imagine the ride quality is that much worse, just as mine wasn't that much better.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

yeah 2-3 seconds in a 2minute lap is the same as changing from primacies to a performance tyre!

In many ways they improve the ride as the damper and spring can react faster to the road. A heavier wheel/tyre helps when hitting bumps but over pot holes they are worse as the wheel doesn't react as fast. Generally you would adjust damping to match the wheel/tyre combo.

3 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

What does your AE86 weigh Lauren? Probably about two bags of sugar... emoji12.png

My AE86 is fully loaded, as it's a GT-Apex so top of the range. Has power steering and aircon. It comes in at 970kg according to the shipping weight. 

In terms of losing a little bit in regard to ride quality with lighter wheels. There is that, but it's not a big difference. I am also able to adjust my damping rates via my EDFC in regard to that which helps of course. I still, though prefer the advantage of lightweight wheels even if I only reap the benefits 5% of the time, I'd still take that every time. In the TSS it's my best advantage as I'm one of the very few without a remap. At the other end of the scale at Blyton Park last year, Kev ran with 255's on 9.5" heavy rims, his wheel weights were quite a lot more than mine. Whilst I accept that part of his problem was not being able to get heat into such massive tyres over one lap, I was 3.2 seconds faster which is a huge amount in sprinting over a 1.14 lap. So the advantages were very apparent when comparing lightweight wheels on stock tyres to very heavy wheels on very heavy tyres if that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

It's not vastly different in all honesty. I notice it when I've put on stock wheels with winter tyres, but I prefer the upside of lightweight wheels as the car feels more alert and just simply sharper and more agile. 

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

It's not vastly different in all honesty. I notice it when I've put on stock wheels with winter tyres, but I prefer the upside of lightweight wheels as the car feels more alert and just simply sharper and more agile. 

Guess I'll find out then, driving in the city centre is doing my head in, there's parts where I have no choice but to hit a series of pot holes and bumps

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

My AE86 is fully loaded, as it's a GT-Apex so top of the range. Has power steering and aircon. It comes in at 970kg according to the shipping weight. 

In terms of losing a little bit in regard to ride quality with lighter wheels. There is that, but it's not a big difference. I am also able to adjust my damping rates via my EDFC in regard to that which helps of course. I still, though prefer the advantage of lightweight wheels even if I only reap the benefits 5% of the time, I'd still take that every time. In the TSS it's my best advantage as I'm one of the very few without a remap. At the other end of the scale at Blyton Park last year, Kev ran with 255's on 9.5" heavy rims, his wheel weights were quite a lot more than mine. Whilst I accept that part of his problem was not being able to get heat into such massive tyres over one lap, I was 3.2 seconds faster which is a huge amount in sprinting over a 1.14 lap. So the advantages were very apparent when comparing lightweight wheels on stock tyres to very heavy wheels on very heavy tyres if that makes sense. 

Lauren is right in the difference it can make, more feel than outright lap time. All be it 1.65 secs difference most of that was tyre heat I think and some wheel weight, and of course overall vehicle weight will play a part too. Ultimately it comes down to comprimise between style you like and weight of wheel, especially if it's a daily rather than track biased car.

5 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Ultimately it comes down to comprimise between style you like and weight of wheel, especially if it's a daily rather than track biased car.

Touché. I doubt anyone would go out of their way to buy the heaviest wheel they could buy, but for those who aren't scraping for tenths of a second on a track, it's form > function.

Road wheels

XXR 527: 18x8.75 et35. Chromium black finish.

Michelin pilot super sport: 245/35/18

IMG_20160221_162741_zpsduf9neun.jpg

IMAG3684_zpszr832wa8.jpg

IMG_20160220_155759_zpss7paltat.jpg

IMG-20160220-WA0006_zpsdsqido2p.jpg

Track wheels

Rota boost: 17x7.5 et48. 15mm spacers front, 20mm spacer rear.

Toyo 888: 235/40/17

DSC_0033_zpsaixfg2ow.jpg

DSC_0025_zpspaeuviq8.jpg

Car is on HKS coilovers around a 20mm drop. Around -2.5 front camber -1.5 rear. No rubbing on either setup.

21 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Not really - my scirocco stock wheels were only 8" and had 235 tyres so that's only half an inch less

235 on an 8" is the largest i'd go for on an 8" personally

Road wheels

XXR 527: 18x8.75 et35. Chromium black finish.

Michelin pilot super sport: 245/35/18

IMG_20160221_162741_zpsduf9neun.jpg

IMAG3684_zpszr832wa8.jpg

IMG_20160220_155759_zpss7paltat.jpg

IMG-20160220-WA0006_zpsdsqido2p.jpg

Track wheels

Rota boost: 17x7.5 et48. 15mm spacers front, 20mm spacer rear.

Toyo 888: 235/40/17

DSC_0033_zpsaixfg2ow.jpg

DSC_0025_zpspaeuviq8.jpg

Car is on HKS coilovers around a 20mm drop. Around -2.5 front camber -1.5 rear. No rubbing on either setup.

Love the lip kit on that! Which one is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone can give their thoughts. 

Looking into wheel options over the past couple of weeks and the XXR 527s have really caught my eye, however I'm concerned about how they will look on a stock ride height, as at the moment I have no plan in lowering, probably next year. 

Problem being I think the wheel is a little too wide and the offset a little too low making them extend out of the arches too much. 

The size for the wheel is 18 x 8.75 ET35. Does anyone have any experience of this size or a similar size on stock ride height? I've also found a similar wheel at 18 x 8.5 ET35. which would sink the rim an extra 3 whole mm..!

Taking a look on the US forums it's been done multiple times both on Eibach springs and coilovers.

Any ideas guys? 

@Deacon Thanks mate, I was starting to believe that was the case, but was hoping for someone to prove me otherwise. maybe I need to rearrange my priorities a little. perhaps wait with the wheels until suspension changes are made. 

The trouble is, the moment you put aftermarket wheels on a stock car, you will want to lower it. So maybe better to save to get both done. I could barely cope with driving around for a whole three weeks whilst I was waiting for my suspension to be fitted! 

That's a narrow rim for a 235. 

Agreed though it does to some degree depend on the tyre. Some run wider and squarer and also sidewall stiffness varies.

Pilot super sports have soft side walls though and run wider so 235 is a little wide for an 8J. Id probably look at 215 or 225.

AD08R on the other had recommend a 235 for an 8J and 255 for a 9J. Having said that they run silly wide so I went for a 235/40/18 on my 9J which should make for a nice stiff sidewall which is what I want.

Might try a 255 next time if there isnt an alternative by then (americans get all the nice tyres).

A problem is that a lot of the wider, lower offset wheels will need a decent chunk of camber dialled in so that they don't look silly @Knighty I'd definitely get the suspension sorted with the wheels.

My 9J +35 rims look like they'd rub under compression if I didnt have a decent bit of camber up front.