Thanks for the ride on Sunday Mike, awesome stuff :)

No problem bud, was nice meeting you and having a good chat :)

Can't believe I forgot to come and say hello at JAE Mike!

Likewise Jordan, must admit I didn't venture far from our stand all weekend! Ended up chatting to a lot of people about the turbo kit :)

Not a huge amount new with the car at the moment, having too much fun driving it! :D We have the uprated clutch installed in preparation for more boost when we get time to play with it some more.

Took it down to Newark for JAE a few weeks back, spoke to a lot of people and interest in the car was positive :) Will pop some photos up soon...

Haven't posted much about our car recently, over the Christmas break we decided to use some of the time to make some more progress with our 86.

IMG_0491_zpspsqgmzmj.jpg~original

We gave the car a full check over and an engine oil and filter change. Everything checked back perfectly fine and nothing is out of place which is reassuring :) Our exhaust system is coming upto 3 years old now just like the car is and is holding upto the usage and the elements perfectly. Took the opportunity to clean the wheels properly and get a new layer of wheel sealant on them. For those that don't use something similar, try it, it makes washing them so much easier!

We've had some parts lined up for a while that we've wanted to test fit and try out, so on we went with the first:

IMG_0493_zpsrex93l1g.jpg~original

IMG_0495_zpsm2imj7v6.jpg~original

Stock propshaft pictured below:

IMG_0494_zpsuarjopze.jpg~original

And then the carbon propshaft :) 

IMG_0496_zpsofbqlt56.jpg~original

Fitment of this is perfect, as to be expected. Having test driven the car afterwards we were expecting some extra noise through the car after hearing reports, however on our car we haven't noticed anything different from a noise point of view! We have ran the car up on both the dyno upto speeds nearing 135mph and on the road up to the speed limit without any vibration issues too. The stock propshaft weighed in at 10.93kg versus 5.17kg of the Driveshaft Shop Carbon Propshaft, a healthy saving of over 52% :) 

Next on the list was the MFactory LSD:

MFactory%20LSD%20Helical%20Diff%20GT86%2

Differential removed ready for strip down:

IMG_0508_zpsbgeapzfh.jpg~original

Differential stripped and final drive swapped onto the MFactory LSD:

IMG_0510_zpsir7ncbki.jpg~original

MFactory LSD assembled with new genuine Toyota differential bearings:

IMG_0511_zpsiys0yecq.jpg~original

Stock differential assembled and back together with MFactory LSD:

IMG_0512_zpso4f4qcui.jpg~original

And finally, installed back into the GT86:

IMG_0513_zpssbh6xa8z.jpg~original

We'll report back on this after we have had a proper chance to give the car a workout, initial driving at cruising speeds and around town are good, the differential is nice to drive with, very smooth and silent in operation as to be expected. Once we've had a chance to run it with some boost for some more mileage and in both dry and wet conditions we'll give a better update :) 

Then we set onto our stage 2 parts of the turbo kit. Consisting of:

Uprated Exedy Clutch Kit (Previously installed)

Uprated Port Injector Set

Uprated Fuel Pump Kit

Larger 3bar Map Sensor

3 Port Boost Solenoid With Boost Control Via ECUTeK

IMG_0506_zpsd4pxw7ds.jpg~original

The parts all went on a treat as we anticipated and then the car made its way onto the dyno to start with the mapping process:

IMG_0504_zpswexpuxw7.jpg~original

We've still more work to do with the file until we're happy with it, however the first impressions are very good! Some base figures for comparison:

Stock Car 184bhp & 160lb.ft

Stage 1 Turbo Kit 5psi 278bhp & 230lb.ft (+94bhp & 70lb.ft)

Stage 2 Turbo Kit 8psi 338bhp & 275lb.ft (+60bhp & 45lb.ft) 

The Stage 2 setup is making much more power for such a small increase in boost which we're both impressed by, the stage 2 setup is a whopping 154bhp & 115lb.ft more than the stock car. The boost control setup however delivers the power in a nice linear feel, and doesn't just deliver everything at once in a Hulk fashion. The drive is great even on this early revision of tune. We're currently working on progression with the map at the moment but it gives a good indication of the power output available at this level. This will be available as an upgrade package for those with the baseline kit already installed or as an add-on to anyone purchasing a new turbo kit. Pricing and final dyno graphs to follow soon.

All in all its really starting to come together now and we're both really enjoying driving it. We will be upping the boost further with our own car for our own R&D once the 8psi tune is finished, upto 10psi and then hopefully 12psi. However 8psi will be the Stage 2 maximum for retail purposes and reliability.

The next stage for us then will be changing over to forged conrods and forged pistons, the latter of which we have worked with CP to custom design for us. This will allow us to run more boost reliably and get above 400bhp. More information on that when the time comes :)  There is a short video on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-r1mvVjzX0

Finally, a couple of photos of it now its clean:

IMG_0522_zpse8vpmnqm.jpg~original

IMG_0523_zpsgqh37urv.jpg~original

IMG_0524_zps0pseevtz.jpg~original

IMG_0527_zps75tukiik.jpg~original

Banner%20GT86%201_zpsdmif5hnu.jpg~origin

Just now, CanaryWundaboy said:

How far is the car lowered Mike? Looks ace.

Couldn't give you an exact figure i'm afraid, its on Rota Torque Drift wheels and BC Racing Coilovers and adjusted until we were happy with it :) 

29 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Couldn't give you an exact figure i'm afraid, its on Rota Torque Drift wheels and BC Racing Coilovers and adjusted until we were happy with it :) 

stick a tape measure from the ground to the bottom of the arch then others can just compare to that :)

20 minutes ago, STEVO9000 said:

I think I need to sell a kidney.... awesome output from that kit to be fair!

out of curiosity, will you be offering a self fit option?

At the moment there isn't a plan for self fit, the pricing structure of the package we've put together makes the fitting of the kit very well priced :) 

22 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

e'll report back on this after we have had a proper chance to give the car a workout, initial driving at cruising speeds and around town are good, the differential is nice to drive with, very smooth and silent in operation as to be expected. Once we've had a chance to run it with some boost for some more mileage and in both dry and wet conditions we'll give a better update :) 

Hi Mike,

As the standard fit diff is a Torsen I'm interested to know why you went for the ATB variant over a 1.5 way or 2 way plate LSD? Do you have any technical details on what's different between the factory fit Torsen and the M-Factory ATB?

Keep up the good work, the car's looking great, I was pretty convinced on going supercharged but you've got me reconsidering that decision!

5 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

At the moment there isn't a plan for self fit, the pricing structure of the package we've put together makes the fitting of the kit very well priced :) 

Couldn't agree with you more there tbh, it is a great package! Just a question I had to ask in case I do end up with 5k to play with at some point as you're a bit of a distance from me.

do you do finance? 😂

19 hours ago, DanJ said:

Hi Mike,

As the standard fit diff is a Torsen I'm interested to know why you went for the ATB variant over a 1.5 way or 2 way plate LSD? Do you have any technical details on what's different between the factory fit Torsen and the M-Factory ATB?

Keep up the good work, the car's looking great, I was pretty convinced on going supercharged but you've got me reconsidering that decision!

Hi Dan,

We didn't want the cons of a plated type diff, the clunks and noises when maneuvering at low speeds and such like. We wanted a silent operating unit which we now have :) We're confident it'll be a noticeable improvement over the stock type diff, we'll report back once we've got some more mileage on it :) 

Try and get yourself a test ride in a few different setups, see what works for you, the joy of our setup is future proofing :) 

Cheers

Mike

17 hours ago, STEVO9000 said:

Couldn't agree with you more there tbh, it is a great package! Just a question I had to ask in case I do end up with 5k to play with at some point as you're a bit of a distance from me.

do you do finance? 😂

Afraid we don't offer finance Steve no bud... sorry!

Thanks

Mike

does anyone have a decent link or is able to explain the differences between our torsen and the ATB diff that Mike is now using? I think I understand our diff doesn't do much unless under throttle?

5 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Hi Dan,

We didn't want the cons of a plated type diff, the clunks and noises when maneuvering at low speeds and such like. We wanted a silent operating unit which we now have :) We're confident it'll be a noticeable improvement over the stock type diff, we'll report back once we've got some more mileage on it :) 

Try and get yourself a test ride in a few different setups, see what works for you, the joy of our setup is future proofing :) 

Cheers

Mike

Looking forward to my next visit now