Nicebiscuit

Bob the budget GT86

So - trial fit of wheels. A bit chuffed. Slight increase in width and offset much improve the car over stock, the black and red combo works, and though almost everyone on here will disagree, I can just about get away with leaving the ride height as standard. 20mm lower would no doubt be better still, but it's improved over stock as it is, and I don't want it lower this time around for many reasons.

So I'll get Bilstein B6s ordered, and the car is also booked in for filter, UEL manifold and Ecutek. Nearly done for the spec it'll run for next couple of years...

5dfe6b9af7982f88eb7144443c100fc6.jpg

37930fbf2271b4770a193734a7b256dc.jpg

300fcb96de8e8c0d448ff83652740834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8x18. I think they're ET40 but forgotten now and binned the boxes - doh! Sounds about right though, as they still just tuck into the arches rather than being flush. But they don't look like pram wheels like the originals

Actually to look perfect I think staggered fit would work. The rears could be another 10mm out, but the fronts are just right.

Looks good! I'll bet you'll notice some improvement over the winter tyres and obviously over the Primacy tyre. You have been busy getting the other stuff organised. Exciting stuff. ;)

I think just lower it 20mm. :P

Thought you might... No - leaving it alone this time - just getting quality dampers. Rally car chic.

Mark 2 in a few years time will probably feature 8.5' rims and then I'll need coilovers... But not doing that til I go FI.

My logic for going down this route is in many ways to try something different. Most either just lower cheaply, or go for coilovers, which are inevitably track biased to some extent, and firmer by necessity. Now I've been in a couple of cars with coilovers - enough to know that a decent set doesn't make the car ride any WORSE than stock.

But I'm curious if it's possible to improve both ride and handling, and I think it might be using stock (and thus relatively soft) springs but better damping. Makes sense on a commuter car/b road toy. Anyhow I'm curious enough to try it. If it turns into a total soggy mess I'll be sticking Teins on like everyone else...

Joe, you may want to see how Mike B's car comes out as he's going for the TEIN Street Advance set up which has 5/5kg spring rate and is more tuned for the street. He is having EDFC Active fitted as well. All happening at RRG this week. I think it's entirely possible to get a better ride than stock. I would say mine rides better than stock for the most part. Obviously it's vastly better in respect of handling compared to a stock car. So the answer to your question is, yes. But you will need to do your homework. 

I'm set on the Bilsteins I think, as plenty in the US seem to rate them and I've used them in other applications. They're tuned to match the stock springs when ordered in B6 form, and of course the geometry etc will remain undisturbed...

If I were wanting to lower I'd have probably gone with the Flex As as those bump stops sound pretty good.

And indeed I may do so in future...

But I am watching what Mikes up to with interest. Nice to get a bit of variety of set ups across the forum

Ive got to admit im a bit of a fan of the black wheels and red car look :-)

The bilsteins will be good. Just bare in mind the B6 and B8 have the same damping so you might find it a little firmer but should ride better for the most part due to the quality of the internals.

5 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

8x18. I think they're ET40 but forgotten now and binned the boxes - doh! Sounds about right though, as they still just tuck into the arches rather than being flush. But they don't look like pram wheels like the originals

Looks about right, not too dissimilar to my 7.5 et35s that I've got on currently. My TDs are et37 (still 17x7.5) though as they wouldn't do et35 for some reason! But for the price paid I'm not complaining, may help me not kerb them as well :D 

2 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

I'm set on the Bilsteins I think, as plenty in the US seem to rate them and I've used them in other applications. They're tuned to match the stock springs when ordered in B6 form, and of course the geometry etc will remain undisturbed...

If I were wanting to lower I'd have probably gone with the Flex As as those bump stops sound pretty good.

And indeed I may do so in future...

But I am watching what Mikes up to with interest. Nice to get a bit of variety of set ups across the forum

I will let you know how it turns out as I have looked into different set ups and talked through with Tein. I have been in Lauren's car and the ride was excellent and so much better than than stiffer springs and anti roll bars. Standard dampers don't work properly in my experience with after market springs. 

I need my car to handle well with out a to racy set up for road and track. With the adjustability of EDFC it should fit the bill. Being a paraplegic, I drive with hand controls so having the car balanced for driving with one hand on wheel and the other using the throttle/brake lever is a must.

Street Advance are rebuildable so you can change the damping to suit your needs and as Lauren said come with 5kg springs but no pillow ball mount as they fit to standard mounts. Change camber with camber bolts but only limited change.

No - agree about stiffer springs and standard dampers being a bad idea. I'm trying the other way around - standard springs and uprated dampers. They're supposed to work together. We shall see :-)

Always impressive seeing these adapted set ups. I find it hard enough with both hands on the wheel!

Gah... I just can't make a decision. Still agonising between Bilsteins and Teins. Now made more complicated by considering WHICH Teins.

Set myself a deadline of the Blyton sprint where Mike has kindly offered to drive me round the block on his newly fitted Street Advances. Then I'll decide. Promise.

What I HAVE done though is booked in at TD for a cat less manifold and remap. See? I can make some decisions...

Ride is great but firm feels really planted now. It sits a lot better being 20mm lower and my wife who is not into cars could tell straight away how nice it looked. Worth to round trips to Macclesfield to RRG as Richard and his team have looked after us and car ready and set up.

They managed to get 2 degrees camber with Eibach bolts which was more than what they thought would get. 

EDFC Active is great and will have a proper play with settings at some point tomorrow but was set on manual mode and I changed it to auto and it does make a difference.

Good aren't they? I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to walk home from RRG. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a big factor in me owning one of these...

Those look mint. Where'd you get them from?

Here... http://www.ft86speedfactory.com

Not cheap, but really pleased with the quality. And saves a weekend mucking around with plastidip...

The side ones in particular are great. They also do gloss black too which also looks good.

Now awaiting package number 2. This time containing Bilstein coilovers.

As per my normal approach of just doing something different to be awkward, going for B14s with the non adjustable damping. My logic is that they're biased to road use which is what I want, and retain decent travel and progressive spring rates. Run at maximum height they should give me a small drop, but enhanced on road manners (and 'better' but not optimal if I track it). And I don't particularly want to fiddle with it.

Probably just a more expensive equivalent of a Tein Street Advance but without being able to dial in the damping. But there you go... Someone has to be different

f36ebc0cbc99c4973057f9e57a107a67.jpg