Nicebiscuit

Bob the budget GT86

This project section is amazing. There are some serious builds on here. However I thought I'd add a thread for those of us with no mechanical aptitude and even less money but still want to fiddle (a bit) and frankly who feel inadequate after looking at some of the wilder builds on here

So Bob is a 2015 reg Primo with no factory options whatsoever. He isn't going to get much, but over the months he may get some minor cosmetic tweaks, wheels and possibly audio.

His first mods were three Studio Ghibli toys in the back window to keep my kids happy (they've forgiven me for having to remove their lower legs now)

e381d9fe7d428de5e64d971d78c29dc4.jpg

fb583d642069d25ccb3b15621b1286bd.jpg

Impressive repair work!

www.im-tuned.uk

I think so - the impressive bit is the kink at the top of the wheelarch you can just see in the top pic. That looked impossible

Glad they saved the original panel - far better than having the whole quarter removed and replaced - would always have had doubts that it could be 'as per factory'.

Quick update. Had the car back for TWO DAYS before heading off to Europe for the annual summer road trip (writing this from poolside on the Spanish coast ) but two days was enough to reset the Rev warning light to its proper position, and do a couple of laps of what I believe is referred to as the 'Lauren Triangle'.

I think I've finally 'unlearned' several years of driving torquey turboed cars and now that I'm used to revs and a throttle that actually is connected to something I totally get the car. It's terrific fun, really involving at sensible road speeds, and exactly what I hoped. My only gripe is why only the Japanese seem to make cars like this any more?

Bob is now sleeping in South Norwood. Couldn't face leaving it at home, so dropped it off in London, put my Dad on the insurance and left the keys with him with the instructions to red line it weekly until I get back...

So finally something has happened to Bob other than being clouted...

He's in rally mode, sporting 16x7s, winter tyres and mudflaps just in time for winter. Of course you can't see any of them properly in this photo, but it's raining so I'm not going outside...

dad009e979ec1a888f71d8e44e623ec0.jpg

Hmm. So New Years resolutions...

Well, the 'not spend any money on the car' one is already looking shaky...

Definitely for 2016 we're going to need some decent summer rubber. So a set of Yokohamas all round I think. But on what? Well... Undecided as yet but they're going to be 17 or 18s, a bit wider than standard (but not stupidly) and look reasonably subtle but fill the arches. Don't have to be mega lightweight but I draw a line at anything heavier than stock. Oh and will have to look ok at standard ride height.

So far candidates include a couple of Enkeis, 3sdms, or possibly a set of s/h Works if anything comes up. I will think a fair while though as they can't go on until the insurance is up...

Secondly, something is going to have to be done about the flat spot around 4000rpm. So maybe... Just maybe this year we'll be looking at manifold and remap. But, key decisions to be made there as might as well go down a route that would allow fi later on, as that will happen...

I like this car a lot. It's a keeper.

Yes - and loads of variety. The cat and fiddle I've known for years but still learning the A54 bit...

For a while I've wondered why they don't close off the cat and fiddle to race on, if you use the road down the bottom of the valley you could make a decent loop. Like a mini Isle of Man TT :D

8 hours ago, Furnate said:

Lovely roads, assuming you can catch them at a quiet time!

Yep! :) The story was, when I was racing in 2004, I used this route to 'train' on through the winter and spring time, by going up there on weekdays, sometimes even in snow, just before they closed the road! I lived in Macc at the bottom of the Cat at the time. :)

They are lovely roads, but in the peak district there's loads of lovely roads. I first visited the cat n fiddle route in the mid seventies, every Sunday me and my mum would go out for drives in the country in her Triumph 2000 and the cat was one of the regulars (drives that is, not as in pub), so many memories of places where i'd get a vimto and crisps. oh and long school holidays.