Nicebiscuit

Bob the budget GT86

So finally - time for an update. For his first birthday Bob has had a bit of an overhaul...

So we have...

- remap, filter,UEL manifold and overpipe (thanks Tuning Developments)

- Bilstein B14 coilovers (fitted and aligned by RRG - cheers Richard)

- Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in 18x8 with Yokohama rubber

- Black badges (not fitted the side ones yet...)

This was never about building a track warrior but more about a slightly better road car. A GT86 'S' perhaps. So we have a slightly sharper looking 86 with a few extra horses, nice woofly exhaust note, no torque dip, grippy tyres, and a flatter but less jittery ride.

Proper review on the Bilsteins once I've had a proper try out but so far I'm very happy with them. Currently as high as they go, but want to see where they settle first.

In fact am very happy indeed

9961699f29cf3160710a573a50d5d95b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere in the 15-20bhp region at the top end, but that's not the real benefit. It's the flattened torque curve that really makes the difference. Pulls right through the Rev range now. Feels like a 200bhp sportscar now which it didn't really before... :-)

As nice as the wheels are, that's always been my issue with black, it loses so much detail in pictures, and even in real life. It also makes your tyres look grey, no matter how much you clean them.

It's a shame, cause black wheels have always been a favourite of mine.

In real life I like them as the spoke design and the quite defined rim edges on these catch the light Depends on the paint colour though. If I didn't have a red car I might have done something different...

White bodywork is probably the best for wheel colour choice - you can basically do anything you like then...

This is always the problem with black wheels, you can never see the detail. Maybe paint them white, put on some white stripes, then it will stand out!

We certainly don't have that problem with your wheels, do we

It is honestly a lot better in reality as they're gloss so the reflections pick out the detail. Though that'll only work for the 1% of the time when my car is actually clean...

Maybe I'll go all 'Nascar' and get some tyre paint on the Yokohama logos...

Anyhow, if anything I'm going blacker still. Plotting 'Initial D' style stripes...

Yeah, well you know what I think about that one

I've seen a number of attempts to pull off this look on the GT86 but none quite worked until the ToyotaGB car. They nailed it - exactly right weight and positioning. So if I do it I shall crib that one...

Disappointed you haven't written something on the door in Japanese.

My 10 year old son nearly wet himself when I told him it referred to a Tofu delivery service... 'Why would they make a cartoon about that?'

My car is a kouki (late), the Initial D car is a zenki (early), so it wouldn't be correct to put the Fujiwara Tofushop stuff on it. 

You mean your son hasn't yet seen Initial D? :o

Not yet...

Wasn't suggesting you advertise tofu delivery - possibly a limited market in Greater MCR anyway - but sure you could come up with something...

Quick spin out at lunchtime to try the new set up in the damp.

Wow - what a transformation. So much more confidence in the car. The decent damping keeps all four wheels on the Tarmac and thus grip levels much more predictable and the tyres actually grip. It will still step out but only if you want it to.

Now got the car I always wanted it to be. Grip and predictability without losing the feel and shift of balance on the throttle. Last time I felt this confident in a car on a B road was in my Puma fifteen years ago.

I think I might be in love

Don't suppose you were on the A6144 this morning? Saw a red primo (or at least one without a rear wing) - was as you overtook the bus that stopped. If it was you, hope you didn't go straight on along the A6144!

Don't suppose you were on the A6144 this morning? Saw a red primo (or at least one without a rear wing) - was as you overtook the bus that stopped. If it was you, hope you didn't go straight on along the A6144!

If it was me someone's nicked my car

I'm in France, however the 86 isn't...

I don't mean to revive an old thread now, but how are you getting on with the Bilsteins? 

Have you adjusted the height of them since fitting?

Oh hello - sorry I missed this... I'm really liking the Bilsteins. Haven't touched them as I don't particularly want the car low...

Can't really remember what the car was like before now. I think it is a bit firmer around town - but the way they handle bumps at speed is superb. :-)

Haven't done much else to the car really. I've nearly got it how I want it - though some more black bits may feature in future and possibly a fruitier exhaust.

It got a well deserved service today at RRG. Nothing to report really - absolutely nothing has gone wrong/broken/fallen off so there was nothing for @riceburner et al to do besides the routine stuff.

Well actually it was utterly filthy but they appear to have fixed that under warranty ;-). Cheers guys...

Good to see you Joe. Unfortunately due to my time constraints I didn't have time for a wash and valet. Still I got to Birkenhead in an hour with only five minutes to spare!