Special K

Spec K's road to recovery

Nigel - I know the headlamp washers must remain fitted if they are an oem part but I'm told they do not have to be '..in working order..' as part of the MOT.

I could be totally wrong but I presumed that to mean a pump was not necessary...

Spec K

I was under the impression that any car with HID lights had to have auto levelling adjustment and headlamp washers by law? The tank on your car has provision for the pump, so you have nothing to worry about for this year.

this is a very grey area, some people will tell you one thing whilst others will tell you the complete opposite, how I have read it is that if they come fitted as standard from factory then they must be there and working for it to pass the mot

Many thanks for the pointers on the washer bottle....

I visited Fensport ten days ago when the car was on the ramp and the front bodywork removed. We discussed all the options.. it is not just the trans cooler coil that has to be resited, the electric oil pump and the motor fan have to be plumbed in... much scratching of heads.. at the same time I asked if we could replace the 4.67 final drive with the original 4.1 and also fit uprated drive shafts.

My washer bottle/reservoir is now sited in the boot. Both oil coolers are now at the front of the car, ducted either side of the intercooler -  the foglight apertures are way too small to allow sufficient airflow. Both exit through the (plastic) wheel arch internal liners, with mesh installed to prevent gravel etc. thrown off the wheels from puncturing the cooler coils.

This was a major engineering undertaking with custom made brackets, pipe runs, ducting and electrics, both behind the front bumper and leading to the washer bottle in the boot.  Dave and Alex at Fensport worked their socks off to get this done - and I am really pleased with the finished product (which you cannot see) .

Cost/benefit? - if it saves another fried autotrans / loss of competing at two Sprints it is well worth it. 

The engineering work was completed by last Monday and on Wednesday Adrian started mapping (and was at it until well gone 8.00pm!). If you recall earlier I had already completed to 500 miles running-in demanded of the new HKS forged engine, so it was a gentle trundle initially with eyes peeled on oil temps/leaks and then down to his wizardry..

I had asked for the approx. power output of my original two maps to be retained if possible - at 0.55bar (245bhp) and 0.75bar boost (265bhp). I then wanted a further two maps with the same increase in boost, so that map 4 was at approx. 1.05bar. This is way under the maximum working boost that the HKS engine is capable of taking but is a reasonable yardstick to start with.

However, the original actuator on the Stage3 AVO was not happy to play under 0.72bar boost, so a 'softer' actuator was quickly installed..

Thursday evening and Adrian had gone as far as he wanted, considering the ambient temps - it was the hottest day of the year so far. So I went up to Chatteris yesterday afternoon (pleased to find my spare autotrans has arrived from the States) and we tried it....

My map 1 is crap.... yeah, it's quicker than a standard car but nothing is working to any degree of efficiency. Bigger blowers want more boost, simple innit... map 2 is simply awesome, map 3 is manic and map4 is.... un-fscking-believable!! With the exception of the LFA I don't think I've ever been in a car which accelerates so quickly... please bear in mind we are talking getting up towards 400bhp here, and that's at the hubs on road fuel.. my car as standard gave 164bhp at the hubs..

Because of the ambient temp issues Adrian hasn't started getting to grips with it yet. The big plus is there is no signs of knock and the autotrans is working a smoothly as it ever has.. all logs in the three usable maps are right on the button.. on short maximum-attack runs both oil temps peaked at 90degrees (as they did in rush hour traffic at 6.00pm last night) and, by flicking on my manual pump/fan switch whilst stationery in traffic the autotrans oil dropped 8degrees in a matter of seconds..

72 miles home down the M11 in map2.... blurry eedjits in Beemers and GTI's getting in the way and Transit-man at 100mph trying to stay with me... mwahahaha... the acceleration between 70-120mph in fourth is mind numbing, the additional torque makes the whole thing tractable from 2000rpm... this is one heck of a machine..

More to come. I am at TDI in Thurrock on Monday to dyno these initial figures. Then it's (hopefully) back to Fensport on Friday to get the new Stoptech brakes fitted, if they've arrived from the States. Then it's Woodbridge on Saturday to learn a bit more about how to drive the thing, followed by Sunday's Sprint.. then back to Fensport for more mapping work.

Anyone at Woodbridge is welcome to passenger with me once I've got to grips with it myself.. you will be, err, surprised..

Spec K

Glad its going well Keith .... enjoy but be careful!!

Remember 4th gear is the direct 1 to 1 drive now for dyno on Monday and make sure the vvt is switched and the air temps are good !

There's way more to come from the engine yet, we're only scratching the surface so we'll see you on Friday, for the Stoptechs, as long as Mr Customs is nice to us ;)

Cheers

Adrian

this car is starting to sound like an absolute monster (in a good way) can't wait to see it in person and hopefully have a ride in at some point

This is great news Keith, finally got her back then!! Shame about the weather though..

So does this mean Adrian is now looking after my precious Washer bottle?

Good to see you at HQ Keith, glad your happy with the car. Be careful out there........ some quick Transits about lol, good luck at Woodbridge and I'll do my best to fly the Fensport flag at Brands.

This is great news Keith, finally got her back then!! Shame about the weather though..

So does this mean Adrian is now looking after my precious Washer bottle?

Yep - the new one is a Land Rover replica (I think) bought off Ebay for £7.90...

... about as much as it cost for Dave/Alex to drill it, fit my washer pump, re-route the capillary and electrics, fit a one-way valve and fabricate a cradle for it to sit in... (not)

... but I will make sure your's is safe, Nige..

Spec K

Glad its going well Keith .... enjoy but be careful!!

Remember 4th gear is the direct 1 to 1 drive now for dyno on Monday and make sure the vvt is switched and the air temps are good !

There's way more to come from the engine yet, we're only scratching the surface so we'll see you on Friday, for the Stoptechs, as long as Mr Customs is nice to us ;)

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian, it was an Irishman (I think) of considerable gravitas and advancing age who once said to me -

" Bejasus and begorrah, son. The word 'careful' is seven letters and translates with multisyllabic exactitude into Gaelic  - 'feckoff'.."   :mellow:

I hear what you are saying and a new learning curve is beginning, as exciting as the first. This is a roadgoing car with attitude.. serious attitude.... so enthusiasm must be tempered with caution.

(dons stovepipe topper, false beard) - let's party on, dudes.... (1)

(1) name that film and get a free ride in my car...

Spec

Good to see you at HQ Keith, glad your happy with the car. Be careful out there........ some quick Transits about lol, good luck at Woodbridge and I'll do my best to fly the Fensport flag at Brands.

Yep, good to meet up again Kev. You goforit at Brands..

I should try Time Attack. I really do miss being in competition with other cars around me... the analysis of the guy ahead's weaknesses... but I'm not sure I could achieve National B license these days...

Spec K

Bill and Teds excellent adventure??

Old git... you get a ride in a proper car...

(I worked for Castle Home Video at the time, we bought/launched the home entertainment version of that film - always been a favourite..)

Spec K 

Old git... you get a ride in a proper car...

(I worked for Castle Home Video at the time, we bought/launched the home entertainment version of that film - always been a favourite..)

Spec K 

You'd have given me a ride anyway!! :o  :o

Awesome stuff Spec K! Really happy that you finally got your monster back (all beefed up :P ) The Fensport gods really know their way around the 86 it seems! Glad to know i'm in good hands too (from over 2000 miles away :D )

When are we foreigners going to see some videos of 1 of the cars all of Europe is raving about?!?! WE DEMAND MEDIA!!! :D :D

Enjoy mate ;) 

Fantastic news about the car Keith, it's been a long time coming after weeks of frustrating issues surrounding the car and the autobox.. I'm not sure ill be able to attend any TSS events this year, but are you bringing the car to any shows later on in the year?

I echo those above, I'd love to see a few photos and videos of the car now in its MANIAC guise :)

What time are you at TDI Keith?

2.00pm, likely to be there for couple of hours..

You'd have given me a ride anyway!! :o  :o

You like Excellent Adverture as well...

Awesome stuff Spec K! Really happy that you finally got your monster back (all beefed up :P ) The Fensport gods really know their way around the 86 it seems! Glad to know i'm in good hands too (from over 2000 miles away :D )

When are we foreigners going to see some videos of 1 of the cars all of Europe is raving about?!?! WE DEMAND MEDIA!!! :D :D

Enjoy mate ;)

Andrew, I will do what I can... took some photos on my phone today so will get these posted to this thread, if Rob275 will do the honours..

Spec K