Special K

Spec K's road to recovery

No you won't, James has been running a sprintex for a while now with no issues. Well, he has issues but not these ones and generally unrelated.

Is James running an auto  box?

Spec K

thanks for the update K looking forwards to the outcome to see if it's finally resolved, 1 question, do you think if I went for the Sprintex 210 kit would I run into the same issues if power is approx 260?

I cannot give advice on this - I don't like superchargers, never have, they are for 'sound' freaks like Rasta in his Ford Focus at the traffic lights with 110db blasting out. . it's easy to turn up volume, not so easy to turn up performance . .

... I'm told a ghetto blaster is a free upgrade with every Sprintex/HKS system if you show your pension book ... ask Mark, he qualifies ( B) )

(What's the difference between "wound" and "injury" ? - injury  was the lead singer with the Blockheads . . haha)

Spec K

injury  was the lead singer with the Blockheads . . haha)

Spec K

Groan !!! BTW saw him in concert in the 80s, fell off his stool and bouncers had to put him back on it - poor bloke!

I cannot give advice on this - I don't like superchargers, never have, they are for 'sound' freaks like Rasta in his Ford Focus at the traffic lights with 110db blasting out. . it's easy to turn up volume, not so easy to turn up performance . .

Spec K

I wouldn't say it's just for volume, you get more power but keep the same power delivery rather than a kick in the back and all of the power in one go

I don't need luck - but I thank you for the good wishes. A flappy paddle autosystem will be state-of-the-art in a decade - you pudding-stirrers will be consigned to the scrapheap of mediocrity, second hand metal of insignificant worth, whereas the birthplace of innovation will forever be a scruffy development platform based in East London. 

Spec K

Dual clutch transmissions, but not slush boxes with a set of paddles on the steering wheel. Also there are those of us out there which is worth remembering that actually like to drive a car properly and find it more rewarding as a result! I wonder why it is in car reviews these days that journos get excited at the prospect of a manual box or why Ferrari 355's are soaring in value as they are the last of the Ferrarris with a manual box? A driver's car should have a gearstick and three pedals in it's purest form. 

You're right about luck though, there is no such thing.  :P

Dual clutch transmissions, but not slush boxes with a set of paddles on the steering wheel. Also there are those of us out there which is worth remembering that actually like to drive a car properly and find it more rewarding as a result! I wonder why it is in car reviews these days that journos get excited at the prospect of a manual box or why Ferrari 355's are soaring in value as they are the last of the Ferrarris with a manual box? A driver's car should have a gearstick and three pedals in it's purest form. 

You're right about luck though, there is no such thing.  :P

I have to reluctantly agree about dual clutch transmissions . . . far better than torque converters.

And if purity requires three pedals and regular fondling of a phallic symbol sticking out of the floor I'll go to the top of our stairs .

:unsure:

Spec K

I wouldn't say it's just for volume, you get more power but keep the same power delivery rather than a kick in the back and all of the power in one go

Tareim, I don't know of any GT86 turbo which gives all the power in one go. . yes, the power is available much much earlier than with a supercharger but the skill is in the mapping . . which to my mind is a 'dark art', like turning lead into gold. . . spooky.

As an indication these are figures from my last dyno run (June 2015 post HKS internals upgrade) which shows the progressive output - mapped at 1.05bar boost

RPM     / WHP     / Torque lb-ft

3000     /   96.8   /  167.0

3500     / 159.9   /  236.5

4000     / 201.1   /  260.4

4500     / 244.3   /  281.3

5000     / 260.7   /  270.1

5500     / 286.8   /  270.1

6000     / 309.7   /  267.4

6120     / 316.2   /  267.7

6500     / 303.8   /  242.1

7000     / 301.1   /  222.9   

Spec K

I have to agree with Lauren Keith

I find flappy paddle driving totally unrewarding and would only own one for a daily commute on congested roads for a relaxed drive into work.

I admire your resolve for what you are doing Keith after so many setbacks even though I feel you haven't been enjoying the car as much as you should.Anyway your new FT 1 is getting close to ordering

I have to agree with Lauren Keith

I find flappy paddle driving totally unrewarding and would only own one for a daily commute on congested roads for a relaxed drive into work.

I admire your resolve for what you are doing Keith after so many setbacks even though I feel you haven't been enjoying the car as much as you should.Anyway your new FT 1 is getting close to ordering

... I'm told a ghetto blaster is a free upgrade with every Sprintex/HKS system if you show your pension book ... ask Mark, he qualifies ( B) )

(What's the difference between "wound" and "injury" ? - injury  was the lead singer with the Blockheads . . haha)

Spec K

My HKS charger is silent, no whine.  :huh:

I think the problem is by the time you've spent all the money and time on upgrades and research and development, you must be getting on to the cost of just putting a new box in? 

My HKS charger is silent, no whine.  :huh:

I think the problem is by the time you've spent all the money and time on upgrades and research and development, you must be getting on to the cost of just putting a new box in? 

Hi Jay, good to hear from you..

I have a new box -  built by SSP in the State and shipped over - it's the one in the car at present and is the one that Fensport are modifying. The previous box (that burned out at Woodbridge) is back with SSP. I also have a third autobox which I bought s/hand as a spare 12 months ago . .

Spec K

"Skill is in the mapping " yes Keith and I am lucky to have had cars mapped by some of the BEST. Power progression is very important. I'm with Lauren pedals and stick for me.

so what exactly are fensport doing with that box then Keith?

They modified it. The exact mods are confidential at present, due to commercial considerations.

I have used in on road since they did the mods (800 miles). And got the first opportunity to try it in a trackday environment at Donington last Thursday.

Six GT86 drivers there. I took all of them out for a 4-5 lap passenger run. I had no issues with the trans, as they will all confirm.

This was in map2, which is only 280-odd bhp whereas I have 320bhp on tap in map4. Torque in map2 is nowhere near torque in map4, so it is still too early, in my view, to call it as a total success.

Tareim - there is unquestionably a limit to which a 'modified auto' GT86 will perform and I reckon Fensport and I are getting close. Whilst we believe we have identified the major issue (in close consuiltation with SSP in the States) there is further testing required.   So I am looking at other options over the winter but I need to look at both engineering and cost aspects.

Spec K