Special K

Spec K's road to recovery

Keith I spoke to a vehicle tech at work who works on stuff we can't buy ; )

I asked how to strengthen a auto box and would valve bodies and a torque converter do it. Simply put he said no, they only change when the gear shifts. But uprated parts will help. He said look at new stronger clutch packs. Views?

James

James,

The GT86 torque converter has particularly thin blades, which are prone to warp under heat - mine did.

Uprated valve body assembly/pressures engages the dog clutches/input shafts faster and more positively, reducing friction/heat.

Uprated dog clutches (again, SSP) were part of my 2015 upgrade but they failed to arrive from the States before my engine rebuild was almost complete.  Without the time to install these before the TSS commenced I took the decision to re-install the modified engine, run the first Sprint and then go for the planned transmission upgrade before the next round.

However, the trans failed just after I had completed the 500 miles engine bedding-in a week before Snet  (round one)  - and the failure was overheated/burned out clutches. (The running-in was completed with zero boost and a strict 3000rpm rev limit).

As I have stated previously, the standard autotrans is rated up to 260bhp - no need to do anything if you're below that level and pussyfoot around country lanes in old biddy mode...   B)

wouldn't fully synthetic auto transmisson fluid help?

as most ATF's are pretty thin and don't offer much in the way of lubrication

Recommended ATF for high output trans (and endorsed by Andy Frost, see Red Victor 1 Racing) is Red Line Synthetic ATF.

Stocked by Fensport.

Spec K

(continued)

In addition to the engine and transmission upgrades Adrian and I had decided to consider a number of other issues, primarily the heat build-up when I track the car. This is not an issue when driving quickly on the road nor when Sprinting - as proved by Adrian's car - but I had experience high temps after a number of laps at trackdays.

My engine oil cooler is sited to the left  front of the intercooler  and had already been modified with ducting to guide the air flow. I had also fitted a separate transmission oil cooler with electric fan and pump (again, supplied by SSP) sited behind the rear bumper. Additionally we had vented the engine undertray.

Yet this did not prevent the engine oil temp reaching 135degrees at Oulton Park in February - and it wasn't even a hot day! I had to ask Lauren (who was driving at the time) to slow down... sure enough, the temp dropped by 20degrees..

As I mentioned previously, the plan was to remove both engine and transmission for rebuilds at the same time. However, the uprated clutch pack did not arrive from the States in time, so we went ahead with the engine rebuild and I collected the car on a Friday, nine days before Snetterton (the first of this years Sprint Series).

Adrian had installed a 'zero-boost' map for running-in purposes and I was under instruction not to exceed 3000rpm for the first 500 miles and to avoid prolonged cruising at set revs.. I achieved 487 miles in 48 hours by visiting my niece in Cumbria and dropped the car back to Fensport on Sunday. No problems - six days to Snetterton...

On the Monday morning, when Fensport were putting the car on their ramp, the drive would not engage. I had a gut feeling that this might slow me down when Sprinting....

... Adrian spoke with Andy Frost at Penn Motors (our trans man), whipped the trans/torque converter out and, together with the spare trans I bought last year and the uprated clutch pack (which had arrived) , I took the whole lot up to Andy in Woverhampton on the Wednesday... goodbye Snet...

Adrian had tried long and hard to get hold of the autotrans workshop manual without success. Possible in Japanese but a bit impractical for our purposes. It appears that UK Toyota dealers, in cases of repair/warranty, are required to replace the whole trans with new and ship the faulty bit to.... a black hole, nobody knows.. somewhere there is a big pile of autotrans being gloated over by a bunch of invisible, uncommunicative goblins... (mebbe they go from Platform 9A at Kings Cross...)

However, two phone calls later and I had a .pdf copy of the manual - in English!  I dare not mention where this came from... but they now take pride of place on my car as a sponsor when I sprint... (cough)... and I shall be eternally grateful.

Rebuilding an autotrans which you're familiar with is not a lot different than a manual box. Rebuilding a completely unknown autotrans requires constant referral to the workshop manual, thereby quadrupling the time it takes and, as no-one in the UK had attempted this feat on a GT86 trans, it took time. Three weeks...

I collected my uprated bits from Andy and delivered them back to Fensport eight days before round 2 at Blyton, together with the totally overheated/wrecked clutches which had been replaced. Adrian wasn't back from Australia until the Wednsday for re-mapping the new engine - bit there was just enough time to get it ready. The car was back on the road on Thursday morning.. and the box wouldn't play nicely! Something to do with dropping all power in fourth, reverting to third, back up to fourth, back to third...

Adrian spoke with Andy - he wanted the whole car, please. On his original rebuild he had been unable to accurately measure the trans oil pressures which are so critical (it was on a bench) and had used air pressure - now he wanted to check every little item. So the whole car was low-loadered up to Wolverhampton, together with the spare trans - in case he needed bits..

My car was returned to Fensport last Thursday - Adrian took it for a road test and says the trans is working perfectly (still on zero boost). In fact, he says it is smoother now than it has ever been... the problem was an 'input shaft clutch basket' - don't ask me what it is, I haven't a clue!. (Andy refused to charge me for this, despite new seals etc., he stands by his work... but he may not want to see a GT86 trans ever again!!) 

Work can now resume. And, in my quest for 'cool'  we have decided to remove the front foglights and reposition both coolers, ducted, one either side.

A minor mod required to accomodate repositioning the offside oil cooler is replacement of the washer bottle, which is huge due to the headlight wash demands (2 litres a minute, I am told!), so this will be replaced with a smaller capacity bottle for windscreen washing purposes only.  (We will be leaving the unplumbed headlight washer mechanisms there for MOT purposes...note this if you are contemplating the same mod..).

Another mod, requiring a simple re-map, was to reduce the temp at which the electric water cooling fan comes on, it's now at 70degrees .. and, at my specific request, there is now a transmission oil temp guage (fitted in the drivers air vent) which compliments the Blitz panel on the passenger side which has engine oil temp, oil pressure and boost guage.

I have fitted a Seibon vented bonnet - again, to aid cooling - and a Seibon rear bootlid with spoiler to aid downforce at the rear. I'm not sure about this last item but one thing I am sure of - the newly ordered Stoptech front and rear brakes will be needed, as a replacement to the K-Sport front-calipers-only setup I currently run. The new brakes are the same as Adrian ran last year (albeit to fit my 17" rims, not his 18"), so I am hopeful that they will adequately deal with the added power demands.

I have also bought a complete Stage 2 uprated transmission from SSP, fully assembled, as a spare. Hope I won't need it...

There is one other 'mod' which has reached fruition. When I originally discussed this with Mas at HKS he decided he would go the same route sooner rather than later.

I thought that this 'supercar' scenario would be a bit unfair to other f/i competitors in the GT86 TSS so, after discussing this with him and with Adrian, a new 'class' has been introduced to the TSS.  The F1-S class (forced induction, forged engines, street going) will supplement the existing classes and should - in theory - be competing with the top five cars for overall TSS honours. 

I'm sure Mas will be up there when his car is launched - whether this old sod can is another story...

Spec K

Great write-up, Keith thumbup.gif  Between you and Nige, you are truly building awesome cars drool.gif.  

You are making my Yaris Sprint car build look very mundane sigh.gif

Great write-up, Keith thumbup.gif  Between you and Nige, you are truly building awesome cars drool.gif.  

You are making my Yaris Sprint car build look very mundane sigh.gif

One big difference, Dave...

Nige and you wield spanners, hammers and welders to build awesome cars, I wield an over-inflated ego and a cheque book....

Spec K

Awesome stuff Keith, can't wait to have a go in her! Will she be ready for Woodbridge?

Keethos - I am hoping that, if all goes to plan at Fensport and barring any further mishaps, I shall be at Woodbridge. I booked the hotel today...

Before I do I have to put my 'L' plates on. I've never driven a car in competition with the power I'm now looking at.... and I now learn there's an 'open pit lane' trackday at Woodbridge the day before the Sprint....  hmmm....

Spec K

Great stuff. Good to see some Auto box development :)

Thanks. But, alas, I am fighting a solo campaign. The lonesome voice in the Toyo EU community...

Mate you have a 100 page check book : )

No, James - I'm on my third cheque book... B)

Spec K

Update -

I met with Adrian this afternoon at Fensport - this was a 'crunch' meeting as I was very unhappy with the progress made on the planned/agreed mods between Feb and now.

Much of the delay was due to my transmission failure - that did not, to my mind. delay the planning, consultation and development of the other engineering demands I made, especially the re-siting of the two oil coolers.

Much of what I had proposed in Feb -agreed as a schedule - cannot be achieved, I learned today. When you remove the front bumper, and look at the capacity behind the grill,  my demands  are impractical.

So - the foglights will stay (the vent aperture volume, limited by the indicator surround (you could calve a windebeest in this wasted space) makes it a no-no... 

My insistence on a bigger intercooler (450-600+bhp) have been suborned, as I don't need it at the moment.

The uprated AVO 2 to AVO 3 (billet) upgrade? Oooh - what a piece of engineering! See pics on Fensport website.

Auto trans cooler will now mirror image the engine cooler . if there is a space for the pump. New core to the cooler

Gonna duct into the wheel arches, meshed to prevent stone fling..washer bottle resolved by NigeR32, thanks pal.

Further update later

Spec K

Glad to be of assistance Keith. Do you plan on keeping that one and replacing it or getting a new one for yourself?

I'm in no rush whatsoever, so you have Months to decide.

I'll get you the details of where it came from. It's American and costs a fortune!!

If you get me a new one I'll need the main washer pump and three grommets out of your old tank so dont go throwing it away!!

Edit:- I just searched online, and it looks like that bottle is no longer available?? It was made by FBM. So... I may well need that bottle back Keith, but not before the end of this year!!

If a similar item becomes available, I'll be happy with that Keith.

Thanks Nige

I will, if I may, use yours until the TSS this year is finished and then replace it.

I don't inhabit the FT86 Forum but I know a man who does - it might be worthwhile asking the question over there if anyone has a spare or knows where to source one from. If not, I'm sure a breakers yard will have something suitable..

Spec K

Thanks Nige

I will, if I may, use yours until the TSS this year is finished and then replace it.

Spec K

That's absolutely fine Keith,

At least we'll know one part of my project saw the track!! I hope it brings you good luck??

When considering a replacement tank we must remember we have an additional pump on our cars for the headlight washers, a legal requirement, and the US kits may not easily allow the fitting of said item?

When considering a replacement tank we must remember we have an additional pump on our cars for the headlight washers, a legal requirement, and the US kits may not easily allow the fitting of said item?

Nigel - I know the headlamp washers must remain fitted if they are an oem part but I'm told they do not have to be '..in working order..' as part of the MOT.

I could be totally wrong but I presumed that to mean a pump was not necessary...

Spec K

Nigel - I know the headlamp washers must remain fitted if they are an oem part but I'm told they do not have to be '..in working order..' as part of the MOT.

I could be totally wrong but I presumed that to mean a pump was not necessary...

Spec K

I was under the impression that any car with HID lights had to have auto levelling adjustment and headlamp washers by law? The tank on your car has provision for the pump, so you have nothing to worry about for this year.