Special K

Spec K's road to recovery

NB - passenger side guages are Defi fitted into a Blitz panel - boost guage, oil temp and oil pressure. It does require surgery, as beneath the fascia is metal and this needs hacksawing out to get the guages in..

The guage in drivers air vent (also Defi) is transmission oil temp, taken off trans sump.. both running at 90 degrees after a blast up M11 and around M25 to clean up the brake rotors .. on the dashboard I have a switch, which turns on the (electric) transmission oil pump and fan and is on permanently when I'm on trackdays. I probably won't need it at Sprint but it gives me the opportunity to leave it running when ignition is off...

Wheels are Team Dynamics Motorsport 17" x 9.5" ET35  (they only do one 'style' for 17" rims).  Fitted Contisport Contact 5 (235 x 45 x 17Y). I've run on Goodyear F1 Eagles, Michelin Sport Pro thingies and these are my latest set. ( Might look at a change before year end, now that I'm back on the 4.1:1 std rear axle ratio..)

When new the Conti's are fantastic in the wet, better than the other two makes but I've not tried them in the damp now they are part worn... and they are likely to get a bl**dy sight 'worner' next weekend at Woodbridge !

So I'm taking my Rota Blitz rims with the F1 Eagles on as spares for Sunday, if my mate brings my battle wagon up as promised.. (oh, I do wish that the F1-S class could use MSA 1b listed tyres... hint, Adrian...)

Spec K

As many of you will know, the uprated transmission broke at the TSS round at Woodbridge. It started when I lost 3rd, then 2nd and finally 4th couldn't make its mind up..

I managed to nurse the car back to Fensport - by the time I arrived on Sunday evening (60-odd miles) I was left with 1st and 6th gear, even reverse was slipping. (Driving a car in this state brings a whole new meaning to the phrase  'intelligent anticipation', particularly with Sunday drivers faffing about..)

It took me a week in Malta to dispel my despondency and, whilst I was away the 'Angels of Chatteris' tore the broken trans out and replaced it with my new spare, brought in from USA a couple of weeks beforehand.

The broken trans has been shipped over to SSP in the States and arrived last week. Kris and his team are about to strip it down and, hopefully, find out what went wrong and why. Then it's a question of whether it can be put right..

In the meantime I collected the car from Fensport yesterday. Transmission is working perfectly on the road power settings at the moment but I am not going to risk any competitive events/high power settings until I have a definitive answer from SSP.

This is turning into an expensive learning curve, both financially and in terms of TSS points...

Spec K

So sorry to hear this Keith, I was unaware the tranny failed again. Lucky you had a spare.

I look forward to hearing what SSP have to say about their failure.

General information update

I shipped the broken trans back to Kris at SSP in the States. He promised to get into stripping it immediately and get back to me - it took five weeks.

He pronounced the problem as "overheating" but could not go into better detail as his technician was in Hawaii or somewhere on holiday.

He got back to me on Tuesday. 1st and 4th dog clutches had "disappeared" - completely burned out, not a shred left of the upgraded friction material. It's down to me and my driving, he implied ..

Then . . .  Hallelujah! He received back a transmission with *IDENTICAL" issues from another user - it is not down to me (spit on LFA).

The diagnosis, following analysis of both transmissions is ".. oil surge.." - the shallow sump, with the oil pickup sited towards the rear and 10mm off the floor, is allowing the pump to gulp air when the oil moves under G-force. The result is obvious . .

Kris suggests it is 'cornering forces'. It is not - Merkins don't do cornering on drag strips, hence his claim his trans can handle "600+bhp".

I have discussed the findings with Fensport. I am developing a modified transmission oil sump/uptake to my own ideas and with their technical input. I shall test it.

I am also inviting Kris at SSP to modify my spare trans to his specification/design and I I will ship that back to the UK to try it.

If both fail I will revert my car to n/a. Toyo are totally disinterested in "performance" or "mods" to the autotrans (knowing it is a crap detuned Lexus abortion). A perverse view, since autos are their biggest sales in the US / Far East.

This has been a public service announcement.

Spec K

Good luck with that. Hope you're not just flogging a dead horse though, it certainly seems like an autobox is not the way to do it if you want to produce a huge amount of power and then try to transmit it to the road. 

thanks for the update K looking forwards to the outcome to see if it's finally resolved, 1 question, do you think if I went for the Sprintex 210 kit would I run into the same issues if power is approx 260?

thanks for the update K looking forwards to the outcome to see if it's finally resolved, 1 question, do you think if I went for the Sprintex 210 kit would I run into the same issues if power is approx 260?

No you won't, James has been running a sprintex for a while now with no issues. Well, he has issues but not these ones and generally unrelated.

I think I read somewhere that the Auto left the Factory capable to take up to 260 bhp and the Manual was up to 300 bhp as NA Engines

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

Power isn't the issue, it's the torque

Good luck with that. Hope you're not just flogging a dead horse though, it certainly seems like an autobox is not the way to do it if you want to produce a huge amount of power and then try to transmit it to the road. 

Lauren - my dead horse has been flogged more times than you've had hot dinners . . that's life.

This is development. No other fscker in the world will take it on, including Toyota (spit on them). Nor SSP - who have washed their hands of the problem since I declared their mods 'unfit for purpose'. Track events/cornering/braking is an alien concept to inbred colonials . (I exempt Pitman from my exaggerated generalisation . . :mellow: )

.. there are autotrans in the States competing with 600+bhp without dramas on drag strips ( allegedly). Bwahaha! - what is that in comparison to our TSS / trackdays / Time Attack ?

I don't need luck - but I thank you for the good wishes. A flappy paddle autosystem will be state-of-the-art in a decade - you pudding-stirrers will be consigned to the scrapheap of mediocrity, second hand metal of insignificant worth, whereas the birthplace of innovation will forever be a scruffy development platform based in East London. 

Spec K