Lee

Lee's HKS v2 Supercharged 86

I've had the SC since January, not fitted yet but hopefully this time home. It would be nice to add 100hp to the car for my birthday :) Getting a date for mapping that works for me and abbey is proving a bit difficult though since Mark is so busy and the nature of my job.

I may order a 'Flash and Go' tune from delicious tuning across the pond to tide me by till I can get down to Abbey.

I've ordered a flash and go tune from delicious tuning in the states, a omni 3 bar map sensor from fensport, and a mishimoto thermostatic oil cooler from partbox. Plan to fit my supercharger plus all the other bits I have laying around on Monday 4th may.

SPL rear camber arms

Whiteline camber bolts

Sti guerney flap

Trd canards

Whiteline roll centre adjustment bushes

RacersX baffled sump

Hks v2 supercharger

Should be a different car altogether after that :)

My Charger is also going on this weekend and will be mapped on the 5th! Looking forward to it. 

I too fitted the Oil Cooler, my one is mounted in the right hand fog light area and removed the fog lights for the air flow. It works extremely well! 

Good luck with the install and hope the map all works fine. Ecutek is the way to go in the long run! 

Sounds good, Lee. The oil cooler - where do you plan to mount it? Or is it the integral oil/water rad?

Spec K

The HKS intercooler doesn't cover the full opening of the front grill, so I will hopefully be able to mount the oil cooler to the 'passenger' side of that, if not I will make it fit in somewhere.

My Charger is also going on this weekend and will be mapped on the 5th! Looking forward to it. 

I too fitted the Oil Cooler, my one is mounted in the right hand fog light area and removed the fog lights for the air flow. It works extremely well! 

Good luck with the install and hope the map all works fine. Ecutek is the way to go in the long run! 

Exciting - which one you got?

The HKS intercooler doesn't cover the full opening of the front grill, so I will hopefully be able to mount the oil cooler to the 'passenger' side of that, if not I will make it fit in somewhere.

Exciting - which one you got?

I've also gone for the HKS V2.. With HKS Oil Cooler.

Also you'll struggle to mount the Oil Cooler along side the inter cooler because there's also the Traction fluid cooler that has to mount in there and it leaves no room!

I tried mounting it up front but there's just not enough room. Its got to go in the Fog Light Area IMO. 

I best order some extra length of hose + fittings then :)

Depends on the size of the cooler. I've not looked into it. I think the misimoto one is smaller and not as tall as the HKS one. So it may fit in ok. I just wouldn't rely on that. 

The main problem is the bumper crash structure is in the wrong place and takes up so much useable space. 

The main problem is the bumper crash structure is in the wrong place and takes up so much useable space.

You're not wrong there Jay!! That crash beam is a pain, that's why mines gone and replaced with a tubular beam!!

Surely the oil cooler could go in front of the inter cooler if it's not too tall??

You're not wrong there Jay!! That crash beam is a pain, that's why mines gone and replaced with a tubular beam!!

Surely the oil cooler could go in front of the inter cooler if it's not too tall??

The Mishimoto possibly could. The HKS one is too tall. 

Also I wanted to go the fog light option for me anyway so wasn't a problem. I was concerned how much air flow i could get through the fog light. but Actually its more than enough and the cooling is very effective.

Mishimoto is 19 row, I'm pretty sure it should be able to squeeze in somewhere, whether it means changing the location of the traction fluid cooler or whatever. 

Got the rest of the kit fitted today as well as the oil cooler, just waiting on oil to arrive so there is some fresh stuff in it and also the ecutek - Mark had offered a base map for me but the order with delicious was already on route so couldn't cancel, I'll head south to get the restrictor opened, injectors etc in the summer time.

In the mean time here are a couple pics - I managed to get the oil cooler installed alongside the IC which also meant much shorter oil lines so

I'm happy with how that turned out, not so happy about how I've had to place the traction fluid cooler though but it will still work there.

Oil cooler barely visible

3E24AC70-2EE5-4DA9-A9BB-3355FE06D415_zps

721C8D67-E35A-4EF3-AB29-019C52A7201D_zps

Nice work! One thing I noticed was my Outside Air temp now reads really high. So before you put the bumper back on. Relocate it to cold air flow! :) 

Mine is currently just behind the intercooler and it gets hot air blown on it it! ;) 

I wonder if the traction fluid will get cool enough? And it's safe to run behind the intercooler? The air behind the intercooler is about 44 degrees on full boost.

Also is the kit new? Some of your veins on the Intercooler looks bent and damaged? 

You'll be really impressed when you drive it! I absolutely love it! 

So the kit has been on now for 1 week with the delicious tuning map.

Happy, really happy with the kit in base form, the car feels very powerful and screams its way through the revs, although I can feel the power dropping from 6800rpm or so, this is confirmed with datalogs showing that the intake cam timing is reduced at high revs from delicious, this is an 'advanced base map' designed for many forms of forced induction so they have built in a bit of protection at high revs I guess. You can also see it on 'engine load' 

Boost pressure on the 39mm restrictor peaks at 0.55bar (8psi) at 6000rpm and then drops down to 0.38bar (5.5 psi) by about 7000rpm and holds around that to the limiter.

3000rpm = 0.17 bar / 2.5psi

4000rpm = 0.31 bar / 4.5psi

5000rpm = 0.45 bar / 6.5psi

6000rpm = 0.55 bar / 8.0psi

7000rpm = 0.38 bar / 5.5psi

Cam timing plays a big part in boost pressures when supercharged, so different tuners may get slightly different boost pressures with the same kit. You can see that the restrictor really starts choking flow from 6000rpm. PI injection is only at 35% duty cycle at 6500rpm so this lets me know that there is plenty left in the fuel system to open up the restrictor a touch and go from there.

The tune isn't without its issues though, the only gripe I have is during the warm up. Unless you absolutely nanny it when cold, due to the way the map is set up with regards to how much they ask of the cam timing, unless the oil temperature is up to temp, the car will go rich in certain conditions which causes false knock, this in turn is dropping the Advance Multiplier down which reduces ignition timing when you do put your foot down when the engine gets up to temp. There are no fault codes come up or anything like that, but unless the car is babied during warm up I will need to reset the  ecu or wait until the car learns that there is no knock and it fixes itself. This is an annoying issue with Delicious are aware about and are currently working on a fix.

I'd still prefer to have the car mapped and supported in the UK, which is why I will make the trip down to Abbey eventually. The flash and go was and is convenient and I have had no gripes with Delicious, infact I've only had very good customer service.

Great info lee, seems like you know a thing or 2 about tuning :)

If i may ask, did you go with delicious because they have a better base map then you will perfect it in the UK? Because i know that Adrian@fensport (which is what i am going for) and probably mark@Abbey too offer basemaps. I was just curious as to why Delicious and not UK based companies.

In the end what oil viscosity (and brand) did you go for on your car?

You mentioned that:

PI injection is only at 35% duty cycle at 6500rpm

But do you know how much the pump is working at? meaning if i want to open the restrictor a bit more and throw more fuel at it, from your findings i now feel safe that the injectors will keep up. But will the pump keep up too? Is it better to just upgrade the pump ?

Any other tips for people like me going the HKS FI route this month? You mentioned that the manual was a bit of a pain and after several reads i concur with you. Maybe a revision is necessary.

Thanks lee :)

Are you seeing knock when cold? 

One thing I looked into was how it responded when cold. And whilst I never gave it full throttle when cold, the car still repsonds and we don't see any problems with knock or vvti. As long as vvti has switched everything seems ok. 

What's causing it to knock and go rich when cold?

I originally planned to have a base map from abbey then drive down there on the base map for tuning, in the original email Mark stated that he would send me a base map 'rev limited for safety'. Due to the nature of my work, and the busyness of Mark, we struggled to get a date set. I'd have been looking into July before I could get down and he could be free.

The kit arrived with me in January, so I've been sitting on it for a while. Impatience, excitement and the fact it was my birthday this time home led to me saying fuck it, just get it fitted. With that in mind and the 'rev limited for safety' still in my mind, I believed my only real option to get a full map on the car was to look stateside. Its pretty obvious americans in general have more experience with the frs/brz/gt86 due to the american aftermarket scene, and Delicious tuning looked to have a really good map that did what it says on the tin, so I placed the order to get me by until I can get down south. Doing it this way also saved me about 3 days of my time - I live in North east scotland so its a days drive, days mapping, and a days drive back home.

Mark read that I had ordered the Delicious kit and informed me that he did have a pretty good basemap that would work for me etc, it was too late to cancel the Delicious order as it was already in customs at this point.

So I will head down during the summer for injectors, pump, IAT sensor and dyno tuning, until then I will continue with the flash and go map as it works well.

Oil wise I stayed with the 0w-20 (Millers CFS 0w-20 NT) for 2 reasons:

1) I have a large 19 row oil cooler directly in air flow for cooling purposes so unless I see temps going too high then I will stick with it

2) I live in a cold area, this is 'stock' spec and I prefer oils that don't have large gaps between the numbers. 

I will go to 0w-30 if need be, I change oil every 4k or so anyways.

Fuel pump I haven't measured and unsure if it is a parameter that can be logged - will have to check.

Tips - long magnet and 13mm drill bit for the IC bracket.

Top the header tank for traction fluid right up prior to starting car, as soon as the car starts it sucks a lot of the guild down and you need to top up again (I have used the whole bottle)

Are you seeing knock when cold? 

One thing I looked into was how it responded when cold. And whilst I never gave it full throttle when cold, the car still repsonds and we don't see any problems with knock or vvti. As long as vvti has switched everything seems ok. 

What's causing it to knock and go rich when cold?

No I am seeing no knock when cold, the reply I got from Delicious goes like this:

"Well this log verifies exactly what I was thinking. The oil is not up to operating temperature (needs to be about 80 Celsius) and because of this the cams will not operate correctly. 

We place a lot of work on the cams for the car to feel and work well, while making power. When the cams are not operating the car will run very rich in certain conditions and cause false knock at lower RPM's, which in turn makes the Advance Multiplier drop drastically. You can check the log yourself and see the Advance Multiplier is dropping where it is extemely rich, and the cams are not operating, yet there is no sign of any knock."

Well this log verifies exactly what I was thinking. The oil is not up to operating temperature (needs to be about 80 Celsius) and because of this the cams will not operate correctly.

The intake AVCS is pretty much always active, the exhaust cam becomes active once the oil hits 30C however you also need to be stationary and at idle. Obviously oil temp/pressure will have an impact on the AVCS OCV operation but I've not noticed a massive change. That said I don't tend to monitor the cams in normal operation.

That said, the OEM map doesn't have this issue (that I'm aware of) and when you're in the warm up stage then I don't see why this should be an issue.

FWIW all SC logs I've seen will have the intake cam start to retard at higher RPM, that's both on PD and centrifugal. On the logs Intake values are cam advance, exhaust is cam retard.

As we are on the subject of Maps, what is it in the standard map that makes the car audibly "chug" for the first 20 or 30 seconds of running? I have experienced this noise on a VW 1.8 20valve as they have the air pump, but the GT86 has no such pump. Is it just pumping excess fuel into the chamber to heat the o2 sensors quicker?