Lee

Lee's HKS v2 Supercharged 86

Where are your long sleeves you naughty boy!

To quote Colin at Javelin "What's the point in wearing flame proof gloves if you aren't going to cover your bloody arms"

Simple, It's f*cking boiling and the i'm not wearing the gloves for their flameproof properties  :lol:

Exactly :lol: with the heat yesterday the steering wheel would have been extra slippy. Providing there is an interior MSV have no issue with short sleeves, I was pulled for suction mounts twice though :(

Wasnt too happy with the suspension at Cadwell:

Front too low / too much roll. The tyre is contacting the inner fender on compression and causing the steering to be very unpredictable and 'grabby'. To prevent this in future I'm going to raise the front up another 5-10mm and I have ordered a 22mm whiteline adjustable anti-roll bar, along with a lower control arm caster kit - again whiteline. I've also ordered a 18mm bar for the rear. Both bars come with new end links.

The front clubsports rebound adjustment is also stuck on soft - siezed up during winter and I guess I have broke the adjustment in the passenger side shock when trying to free it up.

Still happy with the Nankang tyres, they are lasting well and provide enough grip - around 1.1 - 1.2g constant during cornering.

I ordered an Aim Solo DL but unfortunately wasnt sent the correct cable to log various things at cadwell, just lap times really, no OBD information.

And finally, heres the graph from Abbey:

C06FBEAA-AF59-4D82-8A16-1A20A67DBB47_zps 

By the video I'm guessing you don't know Cadwell very well, but I do wonder with such big ARB's that it will affect traction which will perhaps worsen over bumps mid corner?

I only mentioned your entry speeds as loading it up properly into Coppice would give you a better idea of how it is under compression, but if it was already grounding out that probably isn't a great idea!

Did cadwell a couple times before in minis but was a first in rwd. I went with those bars as it's what is on the motoiq car in the states, plus Simon at cornering forces philosophy is to generally use larger bars with softer springs. Clubsports come with 6kg all round iirc.

The front wheel was bottoming out going up coppice on occasions, but not every time - the faster entries it did anyway. I was going in over 100mph speedo, gps (as per video) is obviously slower / more accurate than the speedo. I'm not sure I follow what you are meaning by loading it up 'properly'?

Here is a clip of one of the faster entries, you can hear the tyre contact the arch just before it goes a bit sideways.

https://instagram.com/p/4wkxDGQsEo/

Well, just thinking that I would expect entry to be around 110mph, perhaps more on grippy tyres into Coppice, so you would load it more. Is your speedo really 15mph out at 85mph?

My comments on the ARB's was just me thinking that this car needs it's suspension to move a little to get all the grip out of the tyres. It does seem not that many people are putting in stiffer ARB's. But, as you say it might help given your spring rate, though conversely I run a 5/6kg setup and find it perfectly fine on track. I've not really considered that I need bigger ARB's, though I don't run grippy tyres so I guess that would make a difference. 

Where are you seeing 85mph?

The clip above shows entry at over 100mph gps slowing through apex...

Just watched the longer video, I guess you are talking about whilst I'm behind a civic? If so, it's obviously slower then as I am in traffic...

Does it? Thought it looked like you were doing 110mph then slowing down to 85mph or so for entry unless I read it wrong. I did only look at the first vid. Sorry if I got it totally wrong. Or maybe I'm just expecting you to carry it through the apex? 

Great videos. The philosophy of soft spring and firm roll bars is definitely an old school British thing, and aimed a lot at rally driving. 6kg rate are okay. Bit of a compromise for road use, but the roll bars will help. On your tyres, to optimize lap time, id look at 10kg front and 12kg rear. It all depends on how much of the compromise you willing to make. Are yours the 3 way or 2 way adjustable clubsports? 

What's the longest session you had? and how did the AP brakes hold up?

Great videos. The philosophy of soft spring and firm roll bars is definitely an old school British thing, and aimed a lot at rally driving. 6kg rate are okay. Bit of a compromise for road use, but the roll bars will help. On your tyres, to optimize lap time, id look at 10kg front and 12kg rear. It all depends on how much of the compromise you willing to make. Are yours the 3 way or 2 way adjustable clubsports?

What's the longest session you had? and how did the AP brakes hold up?

It's the way the ex AMD BTCC Golf was set up too. I have been looking for a company in the UK to send my Clubsports (2 way) off to for repair and a revalce to suit a slightly harder spring set, I was thinking 8 front 9-10 rear as it is still my primary street car though we are looking at changing her fiat 500 to a countryman / qashqai which would take the pressure off me having the 'commuter' car.

Longest session was 17 minutes, though this was a warm up, 3 flying, 2 cool, 2 flying, 1 cool or something along those lines and into pit due to tyres going off. Brakes were not an issue, no fade. I checked my boots prior to changing the pads last week too and they are still ok.

Tyre pressures were set to 34 psi hot during the morning, then they came down to 31 hot for the afternoon sessions.

I think the AMG golf is FWD though isnt it?

Personally i'm not a fan of runnnig lots a roll bar. The firmer the bar, the less independant the suspension becomes.

The clubsports are a decent damper, so 8kg front and 9-10kh rear should give a tolerable ride when properly dialled in :)

What pads are you using with a APs?

Lee,

I deal with KW regards rebuilding your dampers;

Re Set up;

I haven't watched the video's, but my thoughts;

Bigger roll bars although the limit the roll they also limit the grip due to not letting the weight roll on to the outside tyre/s

I think the 18mm rear bar is to big for these cars , will lift rear wheel's and make the car very nervous on the limit; 16mm is the biggest I feel to run on these cars.

I fit a 16mm rear bar kit and keep the stock front bar on all our set ups , use the rear bar to trim the understeer/rear grip.

Spring rates-the 8 kg/10kg is the hardest I would go for even these springs will make the car uncomfortable on the road.

The issue on the front suspension rubbing; how much have you lowered the car from stock? are you running any rack in the car? (difference between frt and rear ride heights) again we

set the car sup with around 10 to 15mm rack, I would look at packing the bump stops to stop any rubbing issues.

Any questions thoughts fire away.

I've cancelled the bars off the order. 

Mark I will see if I get time this week to change over the suspension back to stock and get these clubsports sent down to you for repair / revalve + a set of springs.

I do run rake in the car, around 12mm. Front wheel centre to arch is approx 330mm, rear is approx 342mm.

I dont know how much from stock I am lowered, I can just put a finger between the front arch and tyre, 2 fingers at rear. Tyre size is 235/40R17.

Had another trackday yesterday - this time it was an MLR day at Croft - first time I've driven it and it drives a lot different to how it looks on videos - good track though.

Ok - dont have 'fun' on track and explore the limits bearing in mind knockhill / cadwell dont really have the space to learn how the car behaves like that.

Or - hold on and spin, the slip angle was too much too fast to keep hands on wheel.

Or - if you want to drive like that book a drift day. Not interested :)