griffinnn

How long do you plan to keep your 86/BRZ?

As per the title. I'm trying to decide whether or not i want to make a long term plan for FI etc or if i want to start saving a deposit for a new car. The new Civic type R looks like it's going to be an animal, M235i looks like an absolute beaut, C63 AMG for ~20k next year i'd imagine. Decisions decisions!

I plan on keeping mine for a long while purely because there's not really anything out there that I'd want (or that I could afford) so I plan on going F.I. at some point.....but to be fair, I said that I'd keep my Clio for a while longer but then out came the 86 so who knows what might come out in the near future that would tickle my fancy.

I plan on keeping it for a very long time, Meaning I will gradually up the power and make it the car I'd want to live with forever. I'd probably get a daily driver soon enough though so the GT86 becomes a weekend toy. 

The way I look at it is you can get more car for your money. But all these cars seem to be either really expensive to run, maintain and service. (there's a reason why a £70k car is £30k second hand) Or they're just another hot hatch. 

I looked at a C63 AMG a few months back. £23k 55k miles. It was immaculate. But..... 10k mile service costs around £700. 20mpg is your careful! We saw 8mpg on a hard 25minute drive. 

GTR R35s are same story, getting down to below £30k. But 6000k mile service interval, £600 per service before breaks and tyres. Tyres are £1200 no choice. 

As for the new BMWs / Hot hatches, probably better running costs. But still just a hot hatch / car. GT86 has some sort of heritage and driver style to it. 

I planned on a long term as spent a fortune sprinting my Clio but now I keep looking at the monthly payments and could race for much the same money. My only concern about selling is getting a private buyer to spend £18k, everyone seems to buy on PCP these days.

For a long time. I generally keep cars 8 or 9 years. If I love them I keep them longer. I've had my current bike 18 years.

There will be other cars purchased, I'm sure, but I have no plans on getting rid of the 86.

Even if the funds became available for a F-type or even a 458, the 86 wouldn't go

I expect I'll keep it and continue to modify it. But I do very high mileage so it will depend upon how the car works out in that respect. 

There are too many variables to say I won't change for a newer upgraded model in the future as I don't know what's going to happen in that respect. It's a daily car that does everything for me. I can't get my head round people using it as a weekend car really and driving something crap during the week. 

Life is way, way too short to drive a boring a car, ever. 

I've still got my AE86 and I want to finish it off. Now that's a weekend car! ;)

Unfortunately our 86 has ended up as a weekend toy.  It was bought for fun, and that's what it is used for. The kids, grandchildren, and elderly parents require a different form of transport most days, but I would never allow myself to be driving something "boring".

I am very envious of those who can drive theirs on a daily basis.  I would if I could.

Will we keep it?  We had our modified Impreza Turbo for 13 years.  I had a modified Dolomite Sprint for 32 years (yes, 32!).  We have had our Legacy Spec B (not boring at all) for 11 years. 

As of this moment, I fully intend to keep it for life. It's a journey, to watch it gradually transform over the years as funds allow, into what exactly I don't know.

The idea of what it might be in 5 yrs time is something I'm interested to discover. Almost certainly FI by then, possibly stripped, with cage, who knows. The main focus with the car for the foreseeable future will be TSS. Maybe one day give Adrian a run for his money! I know, it's never gonna happen, need to find about 7 secs per lap :-s

If I was forced to have a rubbish daily car then it would be much more difficult to keep the GT. I've never been able to stand a dull daily driver for long before I start getting really twitchy. Fortunately the wife (bless her) pays the mortgage so I'm able to run something half decent to mooch around in. I did once have an Impreza RB320 for fun and a wanked MK2 Golf 1.6 Driver for daily duties - the contrast was fun for a while but it was all a bit silly.

As for what I might replace the GT with if I was forced to sell, if we're talking similar budget, then I'm struggling. I've looked and looked through car listings, and there's really nothing to compare. It needs to be something new or nearly new however. As Jay said, if you go 2nd hand rocketships, the running costs get mental. I'm done with money pits. Apart from the GT of course ;-)

Haversack

Current plan for mine is to have it until the PCP ends after three years (2 and a half to go) and return to a GT4 but I said I'd never sell my old one and that's gone to forward the 86 so just going to see what happens I think. March 2017 is too far away at the moment to even think about what's going to happen :)

I plan on keeping mine for a long while. It will be modified to death, so no one will want to buy it from me. I've already killed the warranty because I've removed the crap they paint on the bottom of these cars. I think I'll be building the engine over the winter to give 9:1 cr in readiness for FI.

I need to start a blog here so you can all watch me waste my money!!

Apart from the Porsche I have never kept a car for more than 3 years (the alfa doesn't count cus that's a pile of poo that's used for collecting shopping dents). Not sure this one will be any different. The only thing I might do is if I do decide to buy a new car, I might replace the alfa with the 86 :-)

2014 Hyundai i10 1.2 premium as a daily drive.

It makes the weekends with my eight six simply great and what I look forward to within the week... For now all I can say is I will never part with it.. I want it to end up like Lauren ae86 in 20 yrs time.

For the future hmmm r35 gtr, cayman or exige. Promotion and big jobs on the horizon I think : )

Lottery win 2014 Porsche gt3 hands down. Way better than in my opinion than any car.. Even the r35 nismo.. Saying a lot since I'm a gtr fan. Come on numbers... Go

I very nearly bought  a GTR a month ago one came up I was hammering the BRZ I got bored....I decided GTR was my next move but no took my BRZ driving back steady and enjoyed it alot and Im still here, mine is here untill I stack it beyond repair if someone else T-bones me in the process, ive got the love bug back for her :)