smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

1 minute ago, Samwise said:

Out of curiosity what kind of power are you looking for once done?

I didn't think the internals of the 1uz were very happy much after 300-350 but I wasn't sure if you had addressed that already in an earlier post.

The early 1UZ that I have, has the thick Rods and can take up to 600ish before the heads need work.

The later 1UZ and subsequent 2UZ and 3UZ have much thinner rods and can only do about 400 without needing internal work. 

We're aiming for about 450 with the M122 charger.

So those wings allow a wider wheel at the front? Does the vent behind the wheel improve performance or is it aesthetic 'because race car'? 

5 hours ago, Luke said:

So those wings allow a wider wheel at the front? Does the vent behind the wheel improve performance or is it aesthetic 'because race car'? 

Yep, 30mm wider each side.

And think it's more for looks. Can't imagine a vent doing much behind the front wheels

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

Yep, 30mm wider each side.

And think it's more for looks. Can't imagine a vent doing much behind the front wheels

Probably does very little on a road car but in racing applications putting vents in the front and rear wheel arches can release air pressure that builds up there which helps other aero the car might have like a flat or diffused underbelly :)

33 minutes ago, Samwise said:

Probably does very little on a road car but in racing applications putting vents in the front and rear wheel arches can release air pressure that builds up there which helps other aero the car might have like a flat or diffused underbelly :)

I saw something similar being. Tested at the nurburgring on a face-lift, they rumoured it as testing for the new version in 2021. I have tried to find the link but I have way too much in my search history to find it at the moment. Hasn't keethos got a similar setup and that looks good. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Progress at last, does this mean you will have AC again?

Yep. Only reason Nev chopped it out to begin with is because it got in the way of his supercharger location, which never would have worked anyway as the oil reservoir needs to be mounted lower down than the charger to make the pump system work...<_<

We were going to use the OEM AC pump and build a bracket to mount it onto the block, but makes more sense to use the original 1UZ AC pump as the pipes will need manipulating anyway.

1 minute ago, Dave86 said:

Did you get the £2k you wanted from this Nev creature? Which company was he so I know to never go near it being bor far from Brands?

Nope. I'm still putting a case together to take it through small claims court once I know exactly how much I've had to spend to correct his negligence 

Another cool little mod turned up today, some 5x114.3 hubs! No longer will I be limited to the crappy 5x100 PCD which is typically associated with VAG cars <_<

And, lucky for me, I rediscovered that the bells on my AP Racing discs are dual-drilled. 5x100 and 5x114.3. Result!

20181107_123131.jpg

20181107_123200.jpg

20181107_123156.jpg

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

That loom looks incredibly simple laid out on its own. Will it hook up to the factory ecu and work with the dials? 

We use the OEM AC1 block connector to repin this loom into, but the Motec does the magic in making it all work.

Factory ECU is long gone.

And the finished product.

Just a couple of small changes to be made to the engine itself now, like a new oil pump housing as it was previously damaged by the crank sensor mounting (no idea how, but very annoying) and also new front plate as the previous garage had got rid of the AC pump mounting points.

I can't think Chris @ Phoenix Engine Management enough for all the recent work. He's been amazing at restoring my faith in this build and has come up with some amazing solutions to get things moving again!

received_529373650869713.jpeg

received_285091908787088.jpeg

received_329112754543411.jpeg

20181108_122700.jpg

Great news, light at the end of the tunnel now? Just curious, are you running a wider set of wheels at the front because of the swap or just for the lolz?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, dom2497 said:

Great news, light at the end of the tunnel now? Just curious, are you running a wider set of wheels at the front because of the swap or just for the lolz?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Certainly hope so!

The front is more aesthetics really. I still probably won't go wider than 9.5J with a 255 tyre, otherwise it'll just tramline everywhere. I saw the wings come up at a decent price and I always liked the looks of them, so took a punt.

Just means I'll have to go wider on the rear now :rolleyes: