GT86-Ian

Coolant

I overfilled my expansion chamber (with water - can't really be arsed with coolant that's more expensive than oil..). It expands and spits out of the plastic lid - makes a mess down the inside of the rad and on the electric fans.... gonna get a power washer on it..

Spec K

I've got a feeling that the coolant has evaporated over time due to the placement of the turbo on my car.

Shouldn't do so.  I have had my turbo on longer than you, and apart from having to top up after the kit was first fitted, and then again after I had the Mishimoto radiator fitted, my level has not gone down at all.

That is semi true, Ian. it did spend some time on the TopGear track last November ;)  Monday is my cars true trackday baptism  :D .  I will be bringing some coolant (the correct one!) as well as top up oil just in case.

My 1Litre bottle arrived, I won't need it anymore as mark is going to plonk millers in mine so if anyone wants to buy it off me let me know. Will take a tenner for it.

I love this forum! Set off to the shops yesterday and had a little smoke and a burning rubber smell coming from the engine, so checked oil and while a little low it's still between the two dots, but then thought about coolant (although dashboard temp gauge was normal and no warning lights came on), and  when I looked I saw that the level was below the minimum mark and then read this thread as to possible causes (nice in a way that I wasn't alone). Luckily I've a Toyota dealer 5 mins away so phoned up to order a 1 litre top up and at first was fobbed off with using the pink one, but it was only because I had the part number thanks to this thread that I was able to show them that they can get Toyota branded blue stuff too (I restrained myself from saying that this is the reason any local GT owner with any sense uses RRG Macc and not them for servicing!) so should be able to pick up and top up tomorrow.

I'll certainly be keeping a better eye on coolant levels in the future though and did notice that the rubber tube that goes into the plastic reservoir at the top next to the yellow filler cap is quite loose in the hole and so there looks to be lots of opportunity for evaporation (which I'm hoping is the reason it has disappeared, particularly as unlike others I have not done any track stuff!). Think I'll tape around it to seal it up after I top up.

I'm assuming that there will hopefully be no damage done given the engine has not overheated?

Yep no damage done. In the year and a half I've owned mine I've been through around 1L of coolant. First time mine was so low nothing was showing in the overflow tank when cold, so just been keeping it topped up since. When cold it should sit between low and halfway, and then when the engine gets hot the coolant expands. I always find it best to check when cold.

As long as you have coolant running in the system the engine will not overheat. Just because the overflow tank is low doesn't mean there isn't enough coolant in the system. But it's good to keep it topped up nevertheless. You only have to worry when the tank is bone dry and your temp gauge goes sky high! As that means there isn't enough circulating actually through the radiator etc.

My local dealer in Colchester scoffed when I said our coolant has a knack of just disappearing over time. Apparently in all the cars they've sold they've old had to sell 5 1L bottles of coolant to customers.

Even with upgraded silicone samco hoses I find coolant does go down over time. I have no leaks and everything is secure so I can only assume it is evaporating. Especially with the added heat of a turbocharger now sitting underneath my bonnet.

Taken it as a quirk of the car, but at £15 per 1L of Subaru Blue I'm glad it's not too often!

Just run into this problem myself - though, typically, I seem to have done things backwards.

Checked all my fluids about three weeks ago and thought the coolant level seemed a litlle low - maybe two inches above low line but nowhere near half way - but decided to keep an eye on it - never thought about checking to see if anyone else had a similar problem though.

Anyway, checked all levels again this morning and noticed that coolant level had dropped to the low line - quickly checked the manual and decided that I had just enough time to get down to my dealers before all the technical staff disappeared for the day - should have checked on here first though.

So I'm booked in during the week to get it checked out - and I'm now somewhat miffed with Toyota.

Yeah, OK, so my local dealer is only a small one - but this appears to be a known issue and I think they should have told me that.

My car is an ex-demo from my dealer - I bought it with 7,500 miles on it and I find it hard to believe that they haven't had to top up the coolant on it during that period and any "issue" has only suddenly appeared in the couple of months I've had it.

I'm going to keep the booking to get it checked out for piece of mind purposes but if they try and charge me for something they could have told me there and then, well, I'm not going to be a happy bunny.

Out of interest, are there any other known issues that a dealer will be reluctant to tell me about? - and if so, are they worth putting in a stickie for newbies like me?

In all honesty 7500 miles is not really enough to drop the coolant by much. Mine has been topped up a couple of times in 70,000 miles if that's any help. It does seem to use a very small amount. 

It being on low when it's cold isn't a time to panic. Did you check it when hot as well? That's normally a better indicator of where it's at as there will be some expansion of course. 

It terms of dealers YMMV of course. There aren't any big issues and there's no reason to believe a dealer will be reluctant to tell you about anything as such. 

FWIW mine is bang on the mid level between min and max when cold. In the 1st days of new car ownership, noticing it wasn't on max, I topped it up twice and both times it dropped to mid point after a run and so I stopped worrying and it has been midway for 7,000 miles now.