GT86-Ian

Coolant

I noticed on sunday that my colant level was just about at the low level, just checked the car now (cold) & the expansion bottle is empty, my local Toyota dealer is a good 30mins away, should I go to halfords & get something from them ?

I went to my local auto shop to get some, you're meant to use silicate free coolant according to the manual I later found out the coolant I used has silicate in it but i'm sure that's not the end of the world, I only put a small amount in it..

Ian, I really would not mix the coolant.  I am probably being totally paranoid, but having seen the issues that can be caused, especially with an all ali engine, I just do not think it is worth it.

Pure water, definitely not!  I have just had a look at the spec of the coolant you have linked to, and it is silicate free, so should be OK.  

Your choice - can't your Toyota dealer send it to you, or otherwise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Long-Life-Red-Coolant-Antifreeze-Concentrate-1-Litre-0888980015-/321386999411?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item4ad4286e73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Super-Long-Life-Coolant-Pink-1-Litre-Pre-Mixed-0888980150-/221388867295?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item338bce06df

I am not sure which is the correct one for our cars (I think it is the red one), but you could always phone your dealer (or Riceburner) and find out

Don't mix the coolant! Even though I suspect that Toyota Pink SLL is almost identical to Subaru's Blue SLL (which Toyota now carry due to the GT86) I still wouldn't mix it as the colour won't help any for diagnostics. Whatever you do, make sure you put the proper SLL in though, as not doing so will reduce the change periods. They suggest to stick to the minimum change period of whatever is used. The OEM stuff is 10 years/100k I believe. If you mix that with normal coolant, half it. Most normal "Long Life" coolant only has a engine life of 5 years/50k.

Upon checking, looks like the Antifreeze I got will be fine, says it's fine for Aluminium engines anyway :)

They all are now pretty much, but what's the engine life on it? They usually say. I wouldn't keep it in there for longer than spec'd though as the coolant will slowly start to react with the block. It's not a big issue, it just means doing a coolant flush in 5 years and not 10.

Ok spoken to Mark, I did put the wrong coolant in, silly sausage. Next time i'll have to read the bottle next time. 

But props to Mark he is coming to my rescue and fixing my stupidity free of charge. Don't let me near a car people, it will break :(

Glad you're getting it sorted. 

Any idea why it is using coolant though? I guess in some conditions you might lose a little from the expansion, so it's not necessarily a cause for concern. 

However a sprint isn't as stressful on the car as a trackday is. for example I did a trackday at Donny last July in 35C and used no coolant at all. That would have been a test for the car. 

I note that Ian had the same issue. 

I'm not saying it's anything necesarily to worry about, but it's not what I'd expect unless going FI makes the cooling system a bit more marginal?

To be honest Lauren I think it was low from the off, but i've only ever checked it when it's hot where the amount in the expansion chamber is marginally more... I wouldn't of had this issue has I got some Coolant when i first noticed it slightly low (some weeks before the sprint)

Don't think there is any real concern with it being low. But much like my S/C Coolant dropping every now and then which we have put down to voids in the loop, I will keep an eye on it.

Topped up the coolant last night,could this be the reason I've had an exhaust like smell coming into the car over the last few months ? I did notice the coolant was on the low mark Sunday,but the expansion bottle was empty yesterday.