nerdstrike

Bang goes another windscreen

Yeesh. Just seen a 10 cm fracture on the far side of the windscreen. I had a chip fixed last autumn, and the whole screen replaced the year before that. Now another one!

Is it just me? Was the first replaced windscreen a weak one? In each and every case it's happened because the car in front couldn't stick to the middle of the lane :angry:

It's just luck. Never had an issue until driving home Sunday and BANG , BANG 2 chips within minutes of each other. Scared me shitless .

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

At least they're laminated these days. I had a toughened windscreen go on me once, now that's an underpants moment.
Can only imagibe

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Yeesh. Just seen a 10 cm fracture on the far side of the windscreen. I had a chip fixed last autumn, and the whole screen replaced the year before that. Now another one!

Is it just me? Was the first replaced windscreen a weak one? In each and every case it's happened because the car in front couldn't stick to the middle of the lane :angry:

It's not just you. I've been through two windscreens in the last year, both times the A142 Soham bypass was the culprit road.

Had the same thing happen this week, got overtaken on a resurfaced road, created a chip, took a country lane on my way home from work and it cracked right across the screen.

Regretting not getting it treated as soon as there was a chip -_-

IMG_0223.jpg

@lewisw - oof that's an ugly one. It takes weeks to get a repair lined up anyway, so you might not have got it done in time anyway.

Anyway, happy birthday to me, new windscreen coming next week...

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, nerdstrike said:

I do wonder about the quality of some replacement screens. I had a chip too large to repair so the screen was replaced but I rejected it due to a strange pattern on the passenger side in sunlight and a speck of dirt in the screen in my eye line.

Next replacement not fitted and rejected due to surface scratches.

Next replacement not fitted due to distortion in the lower part of the screen.

Finally had a genuine OEM screen fitted which was perfect

58 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Our cars do seem incredibly susceptible.  Is it related to how low the car is?

That would be my guess. Several of the impacts I've seen have been low on the screen. If the bonnet were higher, the stones would have bounced off the bumper or bonnet first which would have slowed them down a bit.

It's still bad luck, but exacerbated by the excellent shaping of the nose.

Windscreen replaced. This replacement looks pretty cheap, and the gap between glass and metal seems pretty large... I'm having misgivings about signing off on the thing.

Can somebody with a legit windscreen tell me how flush the glass should be to the surround?