Jump to content
MartinT

Your Fuel Economy?

Recommended Posts

26.5mpg after 4k miles of mainly city driving (and including 3 days at Milbrook and 3 track days). Although on motorways it goes up to 38-40 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BRZ has never returned less than 30. Record is 47, average over last year was 38. This is all at the pump, not the slightly inaccurate computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys and gals,

I have read the posts in this thread with interest after my recent track experiences.  Please can anyone else share their consumption figures for their S/C 86/BRZ/FR-S on track? I need to understand whether or not I have a mapping problem. 

 

When i bought my car (in Australia from new) I was getting an average of 7.9 litres per 100km (approx. 35.4 mpg)

I had a S/C fitted last year and finally got around to a day at Goodwood in December. I was somewhat shocked to discover that the 8 or 9 sessions of 15 minutes each across the day used an entire tank of fuel (Shell V-power 99 RON). According to my dash info I was getting an average of around 8 or 9 mpg! 

 

This surprised me, even though I knew that I would obviously have a decrease in fuel economy. I have 3 ECU maps from Fensport:

  1. 98RON Aggressive Throttle - 7600 rev limit
  2. 98RON Eco mode std throttle - 7600 rev limit
  3. 95RON standard throttle - 7400 rev limit

 

I was running on map number 1 , which worked wonderfully, I just suffered what appeared to me to be horrendous fuel consumption, which has left me concerned I may have an ECU map problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go through nearly 2 full tanks on an average track day (I have TD stage 1 turbo kit on A/T car) if I use manual paddles.

I would be very happy if I could have 8-9 sessions on 1 tank.

On DD my AT averages mid 30s with turbo, on stock car I could get low 40s on good motorway drive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Septic said:

According to my dash info I was getting an average of around 8 or 9 mpg

Sounds about right, impressive even with boost.

In normal driving you're using 10-30 bhp. On track you're using full throttle all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mike said:

You'll get around 10mpg from a stock car on a track day. I've had to fill up after 100miles on track before... 

 

19 hours ago, VAD17 said:

I would go through nearly 2 full tanks on an average track day (I have TD stage 1 turbo kit on A/T car) if I use manual paddles.

I would be very happy if I could have 8-9 sessions on 1 tank.

On DD my AT averages mid 30s with turbo, on stock car I could get low 40s on good motorway drive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

 

18 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Sounds about right, impressive even with boost.

In normal driving you're using 10-30 bhp. On track you're using full throttle all the time.

 

20 hours ago, Mike said:

You'll get around 10mpg from a stock car on a track day. I've had to fill up after 100miles on track before... 

 

19 hours ago, VAD17 said:

I would go through nearly 2 full tanks on an average track day (I have TD stage 1 turbo kit on A/T car) if I use manual paddles.

I would be very happy if I could have 8-9 sessions on 1 tank.

On DD my AT averages mid 30s with turbo, on stock car I could get low 40s on good motorway drive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

 

18 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Sounds about right, impressive even with boost.

In normal driving you're using 10-30 bhp. On track you're using full throttle all the time.


Thanks for your replies. You’ve all set my mind at rest now. I shall be taking a couple of 10 litre fuel cans to the next track day so I don’t need to pop out during the day, resulting in missing either lunch or the chance to get an extra 15 minute session in. 
 

In the next couple of months I’ll be fitting a set of Tein Flex As and the EDFC Active Pro system, alongside upgraded brakes pads,and DOT 5.1 fluid. Can’t wait to get that installed and then spend a day track testing it. I’ve read Lauren’s thread about it and it really looks to be an awesome upgrade. So many things these days deliver only minimal bang for buck but reading about EDFC (especially the Active Pro) looks like it’s worth every penny. 
 

Happy and Safe New Year’s motoring all 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, james_ly said:

Wow, 8mpg on track has to hurt! My MR2 does15mpg on track, maybe the 86 won't be replacing it for track duties.

It's more like about 13mpg on mine on track. It's about the same as other comparable cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on traffic and right foot. 😁 Commuting in bad weather with a lot of traffic jams won't get me 30 miles from a gallon. Otherwise it's about 35 mpg. It's a completely standard automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my opening post, my economy is now 30.6mpg as of today, since I had the supercharger installed.  Mostly fast motorway commutes and country driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lauren said:

It's more like about 13mpg on mine on track. It's about the same as other comparable cars. 

Ah that's much more reasonable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike said:

It depends on the track, at Oulton Park I'm sure I got less than 13mpg fill up to fill up (includes the short journey to the track).

This is what I have found too.

Silverstone was dire for mileage, had to fill up at lunch after topping the tank on the way into the circuit.

Most of the time im using about 1&1/2 tanks of fuel for a track day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, the fuel consumption I mentioned is based on 95RON E10. The addition of 10% ethanol causes an increase of about 3%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see about 30-32 (pump) on my commute (8.5 miles 50/50 town dual carriageway each way). Longer runs usually get me 40+.

 

Computer reads about 36.5mpg over the last ~5k miles, ironically enough about bang on the official NEDC economy for the car (try achieving that in a turbo hot hatch!).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×