Sign in to follow this  
Tim86

Guy fitting my coilovers says the car won't be road legal, should i roll/pull my arches?

Hi all,

I'm running 18x9.5" +38 square and a 245 tyre for daily. Turbo is also going on in a couple weeks. The guy who is currently fitting my MeisterR coilovers has said that even with a fast road/track negative camber setup, the top of the wheels probably won't fit under the arches and that this is illegal on the road.

Is this something that will be picked up during MOT or any other time? Bearing in mind this is a very common setup on this car and i've seen it done plenty.

+40 would have been ideal in this size, but unfortunately i couldn't find that offset for the wheels i wanted.

I'd rather avoid pulling the arches if i can.

They should fit just about (I know a 235 on a 9.5" +36 fits snug, so it will be close), however you may need to get some some adjustable rear arms. If you're located near to us you're more than welcome to pop down for us to have a look, we are based in Chester. :) 

4 minutes ago, Tuned UK said:

They should fit just about (I know a 235 on a 9.5" +36 fits snug, so it will be close), however you may need to get some some adjustable rear arms. If you're located near to us you're more than welcome to pop down for us to have a look, we are based in Chester. :) 

Sorry i forgot to mention, he's also fitting the Eibach rear LCA w/toe kit. Has recommended around 2 degrees negative camber all round.

I'm in norfolk unfortunately. 

Well it was through a friend and while i'm not going to mention who it was, did sound a bit odd to me lol, but he did say that it looked fine once the coilovers were on, just thought it was gonna pop out a tad too much when he first saw it on the stock suspension.

The guy has been trading for many years and works on track cars regularly, i guess he was probably just being cautious. 

Alignment etc to follow, then it'll be at fensport so if I fancy more adjustment by then I can just ask them kindly. 

Thanks guys ;)

Also would like to hear some examples of what people paid for fitting + adjustment and alignment of their coilovers in the past. I'll let you know what I paid when I pick it up. 

Cost of hr mono coilovers £665. Fitting £320. Alignment £105. All including vat. Discount £1090 total cost £0.00 I even got some fuel thrown in. 

It pays to enter the demon tweeks face book competitions.  I've won my suspension and all the tools in my work shop. Not sure what to do with half the tools but that's a different matter. 

I have custom Tein Flex (equivalent of the Flex A now) with EDFC Active pro. Parallel front toe, rear is 11 seconds (IIRC) of toe in. 2 degrees negative camber front and rear and EDFC Active Pro. Cost? £2400 all fitted and set up. 

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Cost of hr mono coilovers £665. Fitting £320. Alignment £105. All including vat. Discount £1090 total cost £0.00 I even got some fuel thrown in. 

It pays to enter the demon tweeks face book competitions.  I've won my suspension and all the tools in my work shop. Not sure what to do with half the tools but that's a different matter. 

Good job you got it for free because £320 for coilover fitting is abit steep.

Right guys here we go, i dont want to add too many spoilers as i'm about to start a build thread but i've just taken the car for a drive and it has totally transformed the ride! Light, responsive and nimble. Thoroughly impressed.

The guy drove it to get aligned himself

All in- £600

Hold tight for my build thread coming shortly :P

Fitting, adjustment (so not just slapping the coilovers on, getting the height dialed etc) and alignment.

Parts i supplied:

MeisterR Zetacrd+

Front drop links

Eibach LCA kit

Paid over the odds then???????

So did the £600 include the cost of the parts you supplied, or did the guy charge you £600 for fitting, adjustment and alignment?

9 hours ago, Tim86 said:

Fitting, adjustment (so not just slapping the coilovers on, getting the height dialed etc) and alignment.

Parts i supplied:

MeisterR Zetacrd+

Front drop links

Eibach LCA kit

Paid over the odds then???????

Unfortunately that certainly wasn't "mate's rates". 

At least you're happy with the ride though. 

2 hours ago, maurice said:

Unfortunately that certainly wasn't "mate's rates". 

At least you're happy with the ride though. 

Interested to hear other opinions on the price, what people paid etc for similar

4 hours ago, Paul said:

So did the £600 include the cost of the parts you supplied, or did the guy charge you £600 for fitting, adjustment and alignment?