Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuyThere

Unbranded exhaust on eBay - anyone have experience of them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-2-5-CAT-BACK-SPORT-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-FOR-TOYOTA-GT86-SUBARU-BRZ/120963804838?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D9c44d4abe95b423e81860e56463e3ce8%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D120963804838

It looks like a q300 replica, which used to be branded Direnza, but now is unbranded.

Has anyone bought one of these? Is it likely to fit correctly - I don't want it looking uneven from the rear, not sure how adjustable such a thing would be.

I'm trying to decide between this, at £330, vs the one from Tuning Developments at £600 - I much prefer the tips on this cheaper one to be honest, but I've emailed TD about alternative tips.

I want something fairly quiet, considering I have a supercharger and no cats.

Many thanks.

£300!?! I paid ~1/3 of that and TBH I wouldn't pay any more. Sounds fine, it's a quiet exhaust like the authentic Q300. I sold on a 2nd that I bought and the fitment was a little different between them. Mine protrudes a little more on one side than the other when hot, barely noticeable when cold. It did take a little work to get it to hang straight but then the same can be said about any exhaust to some extent, as is the way the systems go together.

This is the generic Chinese made exhausts, one of mine came unbranded in a Japspeed box, the 2nd came in an unbranded box with Direnza logos on the tips. Both were identical apart from that. Both were exactly the same on the auction so it seems pot luck with what you actually get.

It's also not 2.5" but it is larger diameter than OEM.

20 minutes ago, knightryder said:

£300!?! I paid ~1/3 of that and TBH I wouldn't pay any more.

Thanks for your reply. With regards to this comment - is that because it's just not a very good exhaust? I'm clueless about all this. I'm struggling to justify spending £1k on the genuine Q300 but I don't want anything shit.

I've also went for one of those and only paid around £110 for it, it barely makes any difference to overall volume if you just replace the stock catback but gets louder once you do other mods such as decat

59 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Thanks for your reply. With regards to this comment - is that because it's just not a very good exhaust? I'm clueless about all this. I'm struggling to justify spending £1k on the genuine Q300 but I don't want anything shit.

I'll admit that it does seem that quality is a little variable as in the fit isn't consistent and may need some work. Hence that I'd be happy to risk ~£100/150 for one but not £300+. At least if it needs a little work then it's not already cost you a bomb. TBH if you're spending that much you might be able to pick up a decent 2nd hand system.

I know that all sounds like I'm being pessimistic but I actually like mine. Having read about this on forums here and in the States I made an informed decision that I would buy if I could get it cheap and set my budget to ~£120 IIRC. At the time there were a fair few on auctions that started at 99p, I bid on a couple as a few went for more than I was willing to pay and then I ended up with 2. However I can't see any of the auctions at the moment but they do pop up from time to time.

48 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

I'm looking for the same. £330 isn't bad? cheaper than the £900+ for the Invidia one. 

See above, even cheaper!

It seems a good price to me. I do like the titanium tips of the Q300, but I like having £700 even more! Still can't decide though.

Hmm - the knock off exhaust copies I've seen for other cars have often lacked in quality control and long term resilience. Think uneven exhaust tips, baffles coming loose and rattling, excessive rusting and so on. Doesn't hit everyone but more often than I like to see. They can also sounded like a bag of nails, but that's what a lot of people like...

You may be right. I guess I can always try the garage that fitted a custom exhaust to my Suzuki (although that was quieter than what I wanted). 

I will see how mine sounds after my UEL manifold has been fitted. If it is still quiet then I may have to get a catback. 

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

Hmm - the knock off exhaust copies I've seen for other cars have often lacked in quality control and long term resilience. Think uneven exhaust tips, baffles coming loose and rattling, excessive rusting and so on. Doesn't hit everyone but more often than I like to see. They can also sounded like a bag of nails, but that's what a lot of people like...

Sounds like a Miltek 😱

12 hours ago, knightryder said:

I was going to say that mine has lasted longer than the average Miltek. I could replace it 5 times before I paid the same as one too....

This is why it's a toss up between £250 and £1000 - the ones in the middle don't seem worth it!

2 hours ago, Lowe said:

I would avoid a cheap overpipe! You don't know who they copied and whether it's RHD compatible. The OP on RHD is very snug so I would go for a reputable tried and tested solution. The Cobra one is good value. As for FP, then that seems like it could be used.