Samsss

Tyre choices

Hi guys, im looking in the not to distant future to get some new tyres for my 86.

Atm only the rear tyres are low on tread at about 3mm, so they will need changing soon, however the fronts still have about 5mm left.

I am not sure if to, just get two primacys for the back. Or upgrade to some better rubber all round, as i really would like a bit more grip especially in the damp/wet. What are your guys opinions?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd rotate front with rear ones, then visit track to really kill them off :), then would get stock sized michelin PS4. :)

Primacies are ok for learning car capabilities and more fun even with less stock power, but yes, imho not worth getting them again when 1st stock set is through. If nothing else, then because they are relatively expensive.

3 minutes ago, Church said:

then would get stock sized michelin PS4. :)

Have to agree. The way the pilot sport 4's hold the road in comparison to the primacy tyres is incredible. And they're great in all weather conditions

Yeah Primacies are overpriced for what they are. Worst premium tyre I've driven on in the wet. I suspect you could get a tyre at half the price which would out-perform it in wet conditions. Shame as in the dry they feel well matched to the oem chassis.

Thanks for the suggestions, i would still like a bit of rotation from the back, but when i want it to rather than at random times even during normal driving. It is fun tho dont get my wrong 😂

I have the GY eagle asymmetric 2's and can't fault them as a road tyre, I also have a couple of the asy3's in the garage waiting to be fitted, so can't comment on those yet, but if reviews are anything to go by they are a bit quieter and are a tad better in the wet.

Best bit about rotation, if you haven't gone for arguable staggered width wheel setup (guessing, as still stock primacies mentioned), you can easily do it yourself. There is jack and wrench in the back, and you don't need to remount/rebalance tires. Just swap wheels front to rear. Remembering whining of friend with MR2, that had staggered setup as stock. Puts limits in tire/wheel choices, disallows rotation to even out wear to get most out of set.

EDIT

Hmm, though maybe not as simple with stock only tooling, if there is still tire repair kit instead of skinny spare, as something needed to temporary keep one end up, when other car end gets jacked up.

Pilot sport 4s will definitely be the route I'll be going if I get some normal road tyres again. I was very impressed with how the people on them at Oulton Park were going. They don't seem a massive step down from the cup 2's in terms of the grip they offer but with obviously far superior wet weather performance.

Pilot sport 4 OR Pilot sport 4S? From what i know, later for now due rather recent launch are available in only very limited sizes, almost none well fitting most commonly chosen wheels on our cars.

4 minutes ago, Church said:

Pilot sport 4 OR Pilot sport 4S? From what i know, later for now due rather recent launch are available in only very limited sizes, almost none well fitting most commonly chosen wheels on our cars.

I presume he's on about the 4. As he doesn't have 19" wheels for the 4S.

1 hour ago, Church said:

Pilot 4's (my phone auto corrected out the apostrophe before for some reason)

23 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

I will probably get the PS4 too when mine are ready to be changed. I haven't looked at the prices of them though, I'd imagine quite expensive. 

I recently watched this :P

Got mine for £116pc. 235/40/18 :)

7 hours ago, Samsss said:

Anyone had any experience with goodyear eagle f1 ?

I think they're a good choice if you are a road only driver who doesn't push it really hard. Wouldn't recommend them for the track though. 

I've not tried the PS4, though everyone seems to be raving about them. I like the Yokos because they still allow you to play with the chassis, but have a great progression to them. This is also why I run stock tyre sizes on an 8" rim. I tried 225/45's but the increase in sidewall flex was not welcome and they seemed to have too much grip for my liking. I like to balance the grip with the chassis and how much power I have. I do a lot of track stuff as I compete in the TSS. Winning my class two years running on stock tyre sizes against those with wider tyres. 

14 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think they're a good choice if you are a road only driver who doesn't push it really hard. Wouldn't recommend them for the track though. 

Agreed, I've been running the F3's for the past few months, a really good all round road tyre. Handles the extra power of the SC really well.

I went for a blast yesterday and the primacys gave decent grip in the dry, so i looking forward to how the eagle f1 compares, as long as its better in wet. Cheaper than primacys anyway 😀