Sign in to follow this  
rob275

ITB's Anyone?

He's developing it on N/A also. It's developed by Greddy primarily for N/A. Though unsure if N/A development is done and maybe they are testing with F/I now? cba to investigate

18 minutes ago, Tareim said:

can confirm, turbo spotted which is a shame as it would be nice to know what improvements there could've been with ITB's on n/a

Folllow the rest of this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63901&page=35

Celek's ITB'd 2.3 (I think) NA engine build due for completion early this year.

The problem with ITBs are that getting the stock ECU is not built to run Alpha-N type fueling, I would guess that the GReddy is going to be running a Motec. I have an idea of how you could implement ITB fueling with ECUtek, not sure whether it would actually run though and would need a lot of time mapping.

Indepedent throttle body. 

This means one throttle body per cylinder. Rather than just one throttle for all four cylinders as is the case for our engine. 

Back in the old days when cars ran on carbs people (like me) used to fit twin 48DHLA Dellortos or DCOE Webber's. A good power increase was normally the result. If you look at an E36/E46 M3 you see they have individual throttle bodies. 

That's pretty cool, I do look forward to hearing the cost. I'm expecting north of £2K. 

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Can someone explain what an ITB is?

Individual Throttle Body, this is a common look for the inline 4's with them

26027a5489a0db9032abb78ae21e65a8.jpg

basically instead of the single big throttle body just before the intake manifold, you have 1 throttle body per cylinder which can improve power and tunability iirc

attachment.php?attachmentid=18619&stc=1&d=1351239583

What's the advantage of this on a boxer engine? I mean I notice it still runs an intake manifold. The FA20 seems well designed I can't see the inlet system being very restrictive. 

8 minutes ago, Varelco said:

What's the advantage of this on a boxer engine? I mean I notice it still runs an intake manifold. The FA20 seems well designed I can't see the inlet system being very restrictive. 

It's all to do with the runner length, which is determined after the throttle. It's not really an intake manifold but a plenum chamber, with individual throttles it should mean that all the cylinders get better distribution of air. I guess the plenum allows a MAF to be run, colder air feed and a single filter.

45 minutes ago, Hoax said:

What is a ball park figure for power increase for one of these ITB set ups?

You'd need cams to get the most out of them as it lends itself to higher RPM, our stock cams don't. Based on my knowledge of K/B series engines, you could get similar peak power aa low boost applications, but obviously without the torque. The FA20 would need more work than those though.

They do sound bloody awesome.

One of the big draws (other than sound) is that they improve response. When you open the throttle in a STB engine, the air has to fill the intake plenum and flow down the runners before power increases. With ITBs it only has to flow down the (short) runners, so power is delivered more quickly. Also the throttle being close to the injectors can improve air/fuel mixing resulting is a better burn and more power.

Add in all the above and they are a nice but expensive upgrade.