S18 RSG

Battery replacement

So this weekend, in the pouring rain, my battery died after having the ignition and lights on (so Will could take some photos) for only a few minutes. We therefore had to jump start it.

I dropped by Toyota about 4 months ago complaining about the battery (I'm still on the 48Ah white sided unit), but they insisted it fell within their tolerances during testing, and wouldn't replace it despite many other Toyota dealers knowing it's a common problem.

I went back this morning and asked them to order the part, but they quoted me £80+ for the part, then fitting on top. When I asked why this wasn't a warranty issue, they stated that "it might be, but we'll have to test it, but if you just want it replaced and it's not faulty, there will be a charge".

I'm not sure if it's me being stupid, but surely they're wrong here? Toyota is fully aware of the old battery being poor, and I've heard of some dealers replacing them out of purely being helpful, without the original failing. 

Anyone got any input here? Perhaps @Riceburner? I'm fairly sure you would replace it under warranty, but I would have no chance getting it up there before Saturday :(

My bet is on that it might be dealer specific thing. I brought mine with complaint that it's a bit on short side of how long/how well battery keeps sufficient charge and that i had to jumpstart once or twice. They told - fine, bring it in, we'll test. Did so, after a while they told - we tested, found it faulty, replaced. Looked, that replacement was 65A.

No clue what their testing procedure involves. Imho also it's not exactly in dealership interests to wrongfully deny warranty claims. It's toyota paying for replacement part/work, not them. And keeping customer happy imho is one of main things in properly running business and building up reputation.

Try other dealer, and maybe switch to it, if you find it better to deal with?

Problem is, the only other dealer in this area is a good 45 minute drive away, which doesn't exactly help me with work. This dealership is close enough that I can go there before work, and still get to work on time after dropping the car off. Any other dealer would either require me to take time off (impossible given current workload) or a Saturday.

But I do agree with you on what you've said. I'll probably just let them do the work and if they charge me, write to head office about it and see if I can get a refund for what should be warranty work.

Mine is the same it was flat after my holiday first time it had failed and once more since then my dealer checked it for a drain and said it was in tolerance it hasn't failed since but did come close although I am using car for work it seems unless it dies completely in my case no chance of getting replacement

No idea if this is right or not but its not uncommon, though I've never had this happen to me before. Just to let you know, think Riceburner is out of the country on holiday at the moment.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Did you go into Toyota with a parts request or to investigate a problem? If you went in with the sole intention of getting them to order you a new battery then they will get the impression you are just using them to source parts. They won't accept self diagnosis, leave the car to them to prove to you its duff or otherwise.

Unfortunately some dealers are more lax than others. When I took my car to toyota to have the battery checked as a warranty claim, they insisted the battery was fine because the little bit of paper said so, even though It was clear to me the battery is no good (wont last a week untouched this time of year). Also not all dealers are aware of the faults with this car, my dealer doesn't recognise this as a known issue.

Battery TOTALLY dead after standing 3 weeks before Christmas, gave it benefit of doubt.

February TOTALLY dead after a week! Took to Beadles Gillingham and left car for a day. Replaced with TOYOTA branded 65 Ah under warranty.

They said they would NOT charge anybody to have battery tested even if it turned out to be OK.

I asked if they had put the upgraded 65Ah battery in and they said NO, people have to pay for the upgrade and they would ony fit the listed battery! Upon checking battery it is the upgrade so this MUST be the listed battery now.

Mine died. It was underspecced for the alarm system and can't cope with being left for a week.

Was replaced under warranty with the new spec one with no quibbles. No problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 48ah wint last two weeks. 

First time this happenend RMB Northallerton identified a faulty alarm module and replaced it under warranty. 

The next time the cat was left for two weeks was last month, and the battery didn't last.

I discussed the problem with RMB who tested the battery as ok, but took in board all the evidence from the forums and put forward a request to Toyota GB to upgrade to 65ah. 

Toyota came back with queries re: usage, frequency, miles/day, type of driving etc (I use the car everyday for 20mile each way commute on motorway). Following which they agreed to upgrade as a goodwill gesture. Not a warranty issue.

Going in at end of the month.

Thanks to RMB.

I always leave my car unlocked in the garage although the immobiliser is on. I only have the lower powered battery but so far, I've left it 2 weeks without problem.

The lack of proper battery info is a bit of a surprise to me, as a noob having read the issues, I decided for the sake of 80 quid just to buy a new one. I'd have spent half that getting to my nearest Subaru dealer, and who wants the ballache of being stuck in an airport multi-storey after two weeks away? Having placed the order, the company called me up asking if I was sure I was ordering the right battery, it fits perfectly and cranks fine (touch wood) so I guess I have.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/bosch-s4025-car-battery/

I was also recommended one with the terminals wrongly configured via an online battery sales vehicle wizard. Then Halfords fancied flogging one at an outrageous £152, which from looking at the photos online also has the wrong terminal config :(

My 48ah wint last two weeks. 

First time this happenend RMB Northallerton identified a faulty alarm module and replaced it under warranty. 

The next time the cat was left for two weeks was last month, and the battery didn't last.

I discussed the problem with RMB who tested the battery as ok, but took in board all the evidence from the forums and put forward a request to Toyota GB to upgrade to 65ah. 

Toyota came back with queries re: usage, frequency, miles/day, type of driving etc (I use the car everyday for 20mile each way commute on motorway). Following which they agreed to upgrade as a goodwill gesture. Not a warranty issue.

Going in at end of the month.

Thanks to RMB.

That's such b*llocks. But kudos to the dealer for sorting it. If the original battery was up to the job, why did they change the spec on later cars? But no matter... you're sorted. I doubt you'll have issues with the new one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Recently my oem battery gave out, so just thought id share that I found an ideal battery for the GT86 online which is 80ah and also cheaper than all the others.

Just search ebay for SuperBatt 072. £59.99 delivered and fits the factory battery tray fine.

On 08/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, Leeky said:

Hi guys,

Recently my oem battery gave out, so just thought id share that I found an ideal battery for the GT86 online which is 80ah and also cheaper than all the others.

Just search ebay for SuperBatt 072. £59.99 delivered and fits the factory battery tray fine.

You could do that, or just get it replaced under warranty which is free. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:22 PM, Lauren said:

You could do that, or just get it replaced under warranty which is free. 

Assuming your car is still under warranty or the dealer actually want to change it... which my dealer didnt and preffered to be teapots about it.

There is no official recall or TSB on the batteries so its at the dealers discretion.

Personally I didnt want to chance it anyway with only a 65ah and an appox 50% improvement in capacity. I wanted twice the capacity and this 80ah battery is the closest thing I could find that still fitted within the factory battery tray.

if you’re gonna do a job, do it right I say ;)

On 08/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, Leeky said:

Hi guys,

Is this the one you bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SuperBatt-072-Battery-Land-Rover-90-110-DEFENDER-DISCOVERY-1-2-RANGE-ROVER-02/201113891065?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649