smudge

Opinions on 10.5" wheels

So with the extra power from the V8 I've been looking at some wider wheels for the rear to put down some wider rubber

I found a really nice set of wheels I like that weigh only 20lbs which is incredible for the size and I've sourced some arch flares to accommodate the poke which will be beyond the standard arches

However, I was disappointed to find that they only do the 9.5" version in 5x114.3! So I was wondering what people's opinions were on running 10.5" up front as well instead of my usual 9.5"

275 tyres just seem too much on the front, or am I over thinking this?

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

So with the extra power from the V8 I've been looking at some wider wheels for the rear to put down some wider rubber

I found a really nice set of wheels I like that weigh only 20lbs which is incredible for the size and I've sourced some arch flares to accommodate the poke which will be beyond the standard arches

However, I was disappointed to find that they only do the 9.5" version in 5x114.3! So I was wondering what people's opinions were on running 10.5" up front as well instead of my usual 9.5"

275 tyres just seem too much on the front, or am I over thinking this?

275 wayyyyyy tooo much on the front imo. Audi RS6 runs 285s and that's a 2 tonne 600hp Estate car. Not to mention that it'll tram like a mofo. Also, kind of completely murdering the front end response on the car with that much tyre aren't you?

But, will probably look cool as fuck.

15 minutes ago, TTR said:

275 wayyyyyy tooo much on the front imo. Audi RS6 runs 285s and that's a 2 tonne 600hp Estate car. Not to mention that it'll tram like a mofo. Also, kind of completely murdering the front end response on the car with that much tyre aren't you?

But, will probably look cool as fuck.

My thoughts exactly. 9.5 on 255 was bad enough for tramlining but turn in still seemed pretty sharp...just dunno

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

My thoughts exactly. 9.5 on 255 was bad enough for tramlining but turn in still seemed pretty sharp...just dunno

Not sure how it'd be on a staggered setup though, maybe ask on the American forum? Seem to be a lot of guys on there running staggered setups. Why 10.5" wheels though? you'd easily be able to use a 265/275 on a 9.5" rim.

1 minute ago, KevinA said:

Think Adrian runs 265's on 10" upfront.

Track car on semi-slicks/slicks though right? Surely not a viable comparison for a road car haha.

I'd be very careful with 10.5" width. It's very possible that in several setups more then probably it will rub on fender and/or arc, requiring also very careful tire choice, specific camber choice (not necessarily best for handling, but targeting mostly to not rub (eg. seen alignment with more neg. camber rear for that)), streched tire choice, coilover purchase (stock ones have bigger diameter coils, more probable rubbing), maybe limiting steering angle. Maybe even wide body installation. IIRC most seen wide wheel setups are about 9.5" on these cars (staggered setups aside). Above even that one and especially 10.5"? One has to spend much more and accept some compromises.

Given that in beginning you started to think about wider wheels for more grip due forced induction, remember, that it's more tire rubber compound that affect grip, width not THAT much (wider wheel - same mass less distributed over wider area .. not that big of increase of real tire contact patch) as one may think arithmetically comparing numbers. Eg. there are many tires of 205 width that will be more grippier then stock primacies. Get some MPSS/MPS4/AD08R/RS3/RE71R/Star Specs/Rival-S and you'll be amazed of their grip even at modest widths.

So overall, i'd think of wheels of 8-8.5, not more then 9.5" width and tires of 225-245 size but of better/grippier type. No fitment/rubbing issues to think of, cheaper tires (and wheels), even lighter wheels (and tires too, and less susceptible to aquaplane in wet) vs of same model but insanely too wide with that turning as main goal and start compromising things.

Also .. getting 300-400hp (imho more modest 250hp don't require insanity in width) and fat barrels for wheels and wanting just flooring go pedal no matter where and how is not exactly best way to drive. Even on stock car imho one should better learn finer control of brakes/steering/accelerator, then turning car to something like point and shoot american muscle car. It gives some satisfaction in itself to push out of very same car better results just by better control.

34 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

You could be "cool as F#@k" and get a nice rocket bunny kit, there's a few in the club with them and they look awesome, think I remember you saying you wanted the kit a while back.😁

F**k you

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Not sure how it'd be on a staggered setup though, maybe ask on the American forum? Seem to be a lot of guys on there running staggered setups. Why 10.5" wheels though? you'd easily be able to use a 265/275 on a 9.5" rim.

Nah too wide for a 9.5 rim

46 minutes ago, Church said:

I'd be very careful with 10.5" width. It's very possible that in several setups more then probably it will rub on fender and/or arc, requiring also very careful tire choice, specific camber choice (not necessarily best for handling, but targeting mostly to not rub (eg. seen alignment with more neg. camber rear for that)), streched tire choice, coilover purchase (stock ones have bigger diameter coils, more probable rubbing), maybe limiting steering angle. Maybe even wide body installation. IIRC most seen wide wheel setups are about 9.5" on these cars (staggered setups aside). Above even that one and especially 10.5"? One has to spend much more and accept some compromises.

Given that in beginning you started to think about wider wheels for more grip due forced induction, remember, that it's more tire rubber compound that affect grip, width not THAT much (wider wheel - same mass less distributed over wider area .. not that big of increase of real tire contact patch) as one may think arithmetically comparing numbers. Eg. there are many tires of 205 width that will be more grippier then stock primacies. Get some MPSS/MPS4/AD08R/RS3/RE71R/Star Specs/Rival-S and you'll be amazed of their grip even at modest widths.

So overall, i'd think of wheels of 8-8.5, not more then 9.5" width and tires of 225-245 size but of better/grippier type. No fitment/rubbing issues to think of, cheaper tires (and wheels), even lighter wheels (and tires too, and less susceptible to aquaplane in wet) vs of same model but insanely too wide with that turning as main goal and start compromising things.

Also .. getting 300-400hp (imho more modest 250hp don't require insanity in width) and fat barrels for wheels and wanting just flooring go pedal no matter where and how is not exactly best way to drive. Even on stock car imho one should better learn finer control of brakes/steering/accelerator, then turning car to something like point and shoot american muscle car. It gives some satisfaction in itself to push out of very same car better results just by better control.

Thanks but completely irrelevant for my setup...

You lot will never agree, more rubber = more grip, simple physics but not everybody likes massive grip on these cars. But at least we can all satisfy our own needs and requirements  :D

9 minutes ago, KevinA said:

You lot will never agree, more rubber = more grip, simple physics but not everybody likes massive grip on these cars. But at least we can all satisfy our own needs and requirements  :D

haha definitively agree with that. 

That is true that wider gives more grip (to a point) but the extra drag increases lap times at many circuits on an N/A car. All the info and comparisons are on the ft68club. People running 350+WHP benefit from 255-265s though as they can get more power down. 

Personally, I think Jordan should consider a lighter wheel and some 245s but with some substantial front and rear downforce. 

56 minutes ago, Ade said:

That is true that wider gives more grip (to a point) but the extra drag increases lap times at many circuits on an N/A car. All the info and comparisons are on the ft68club. People running 350+WHP benefit from 255-265s though as they can get more power down. 

Personally, I think Jordan should consider a lighter wheel and some 245s but with some substantial front and rear downforce. 

Unfortunately the kind of downforce we can "add" onto a BRZ/86, isn't the kind that'll help you get off a set of traffic lights at a decent speed haha. Unless we're talking about going down the route of the BT46B/Chaparral 2J. Obviously downforce IS going to help with traction around corners, but during day to day driving are you going to even be getting to those kinds of speed where you're going to be generating it? Surely we'd be needing a really aggressive AoA on the wing, which your going to need to compensate with an aggressive front splitter and possibly diffuser to help tie it all together and reduce some of the drag you'll inevitably get from having a big black wang. 

4 hours ago, Ade said:

My WedSports are 18x9.5 and weigh 8kg...not getting much lighter