S18 RSG

Taking the FI plunge

In a dyno cell of 22c we see upto 29/30c. This does not increase further than 2c if say doing 4 or 5 pulls repeatedly.

Out in the real world it performs better and we generally see upto 6c over ambient temp. Doing runs from 2nd through to 6th gear doesn't add extra IAT.

Thanks

Mike

38 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

In a dyno cell of 22c we see upto 29/30c. This does not increase further than 2c if say doing 4 or 5 pulls repeatedly.

Out in the real world it performs better and we generally see upto 6c over ambient temp. Doing runs from 2nd through to 6th gear doesn't add extra IAT.

Thanks

Mike

Sounds good!!!

31 minutes ago, Deacon said:

@Mike@TD.co.uk if you were going to be using the car for a lot of tracking would there be any additions or changes to your kit you'd suggest? 

They have there own oil cooler & Uprated radiator which i suppose would be handy extras for keeping temps down

Thanks

Mike

That does seem very good.

What IAT did you see when testing around a circuit?

The TD Turbo is so tempting for me. If my insurance doesn't screw me too much, it'd be a very tough choice between this and the TVS Units. I'm convinced Supercharging is the way to go on the FA20, but the TD Turbo kit offers SO much for the price. 

Ade, don't know if this helps or not but I treated mine to a day down at milbrook and after several laps of the high speed bowl at 135mph+ I lifted the bonnet thinking it would be red hot, but it wasn't! seemed pretty normal really.

At those speeds you have plenty of airflow. Things get hot when you go wot coming out of slow corners where you have less airflow. I.e. on a twisty track.

I'm only curious really but I do like to see some information from the various setups. The TD kit certainly looks very good value.

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

@Mike@TD.co.uk if you were going to be using the car for a lot of tracking would there be any additions or changes to your kit you'd suggest? 

Engine oil cooler for certain and we have also installed an uprated coolant radiator on our car which does a much better job of keeping the coolant temp in check over the stock radiator on prolonged 'abuse'.

1 hour ago, Ade said:

That does seem very good.

What IAT did you see when testing around a circuit?

Very similar to what it does on the dyno Ade when doing back to back runs, usually within a couple of degrees. With good airflow on a quick circuit we've found the temps to be actually really good!

Maybe once we run much more boost we'll start to struggle with temps, but at this level of tune its taking it in its stride. It'll be at Oulton Park in the (hopefully) not too distant future so i'll be getting some new logs then for it.

Thanks

Mike

4 hours ago, TTR said:

The TD Turbo is so tempting for me. If my insurance doesn't screw me too much, it'd be a very tough choice between this and the TVS Units. I'm convinced Supercharging is the way to go on the FA20, but the TD Turbo kit offers SO much for the price. 

Hi,

If you do need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

28 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

If you do need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

You guys are next on my list to call! 

Sounds like you are not after a full on track car, so in my opinion you'd need good reason to not get a twin screw supercharger on this platform. More area under the curve - I.e it's faster.

A 'good reason' would be spending significantly less (if this is true) on a TD turbo which spools early, produces similar overall numbers and manages heat well.

or wanting to run 500hp in future.

The TD kit does look very impressive for the money and I suspect part of the reason is that it is designed an made in the UK. All the other kits the distribution takes a good chunk of the overall costs.

What's the turbo like in the TD kit? Should you expect 50k+ miles out of it like an oem?

Out of interest, what is the general consensus on the Jackson Racing kit?

I stumbled upon a very good deal involving such that kit, fitted and mapped for a lower price than I've seen for any fit so far. Considering it certainly isn't the cheapest kit to buy, and one that seems to be highly regarded in the states, it is tempting, but I admit I've not researched it much.

4 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

It's a C30 charger

So the question is, do you like all your power at the north of the rev band? If so, then it will be fun. If you're not sure or no, then I wouldn't. See if you can find someone with a Litchfield kit as it's the same Rotrex blower, much more common over here even if it's still quite rare.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered. Big improvements in the mid range would be great, but I should get some improvements there with any kit.

I accept that most supercharger kits are more suited to a linear power band that builds with rpm, as is the design of a belt driven system, but at the end of the day, more power is the objective.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk