Deacon

So.... talk manifolds to me

I'm talking with Gruppe-S on the US forums to get some prices for the manifold and over pipe shipped, will let you all know what the prices are.

If there was only a UK retailer who would offer them :/

9 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Tarmac deals with the States alot so could be worth asking, most of his products are US based so you could suggest that he adds this to his listing as it'd be a popular offering. Tried Mark to see if he could get one over?

2 hours ago, knightryder said:

Tarmac deals with the States alot so could be worth asking, most of his products are US based so you could suggest that he adds this to his listing as it'd be a popular offering. Tried Mark to see if he could get one over?

I haven't asked either to be honest, I just went direct to the company in the US. Now I have a price from them, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask around and see if either of those you mentioned could get close.

11 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

I'm talking with Gruppe-S on the US forums to get some prices for the manifold and over pipe shipped, will let you all know what the prices are.

Speak to @Ade.. If memory serves me correctly, he knows a shipping company that can ship things from the states for a decent price! :)

6 minutes ago, Merich22 said:

Speak to @Ade.. If memory serves me correctly, he knows a shipping company that can ship things from the states for a decent price! :)

Their next shipping date is something like mid June if it's the one I'm thinking of. One of the biggest disadvantages of ordering from the US is shipping times, and that method means waiting 2 months for a part lol.

9 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Their next shipping date is something like mid June if it's the one I'm thinking of. One of the biggest disadvantages of ordering from the US is shipping times, and that method means waiting 2 months for a part lol.

Yeah they had a change of the parent company in the states so a large gap unfortunately. It should settle to every 6 week again soon though.

Jeez, I can see why. How would that even pass a quality inspection?

For your information Jeff, speaking to the guys are Gruppe-S yesterday, here's an idea of pricing:

Manifold - $475

Overpipe - $75

Heatshield - $20

Shipping - $105

Customs charges (calculated separately) - $166

Total cost - $821, or £578.81

The heat shields are out of stock for another week, so I'll be placing my order with them next week sometime. If you wanted to do the same, we could perhaps see if there is any extra discount for multiple?

11 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Jeez, I can see why. How would that even pass a quality inspection?

For your information Jeff, speaking to the guys are Gruppe-S yesterday, here's an idea of pricing:

Manifold - $475

Overpipe - $75

Heatshield - $20

Shipping - $105

Customs charges (calculated separately) - $166

Total cost - $821, or £578.81

The heat shields are out of stock for another week, so I'll be placing my order with them next week sometime. If you wanted to do the same, we could perhaps see if there is any extra discount for multiple?

Not tempted by the ceramic coating?

Just now, Ade said:

Not tempted by the ceramic coating?

Tempted, of course, but all boils down to price and lead time. If the price difference is less than it would be for me to have the coating done in the UK, then I may have it done, but given some of the prices I've seen, I'm not sure the price is worth the benefits.

23 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Just a side note, I'm in the same position as you now @Merich22.

As knight said, the 1320 and GruppeS manifold are really cheap, but I have had quotes for both from suppliers, and after shipping and import taxes, both end up around £500 or more, plus you generally have to wait around 2-3 weeks minimum for it to arrive. Then you have the issue of warranty. Sure, you have a warranty, but any replacements will have to be sent back to America, so you could go weeks without a manifold again.

Compare that to a Tomei/Borla sourced from the UK, sure, you'll pay around £600, but you get it within a few days, you pay no extra, and you have a UK based warranty and returns program. That's worth the extra £100 in my eyes.

My 1320 manifold and overpipe were a little under £500 landed, so you save a bit more than £100, since that £600 is for just the manifold. More like £250 once you factor in £150 for an overpipe. 2-3 weeks is a typical time though, they shipped it really fast, the day after I ordered, but having an 8 day wait for customs clearance really delays things.

Also, not sure it would be worth getting a manifold shipped via the container route, it was only $120 to get it airfreighted, so you're not going to save very much there.

2 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

Tempted, of course, but all boils down to price and lead time. If the price difference is less than it would be for me to have the coating done in the UK, then I may have it done, but given some of the prices I've seen, I'm not sure the price is worth the benefits.

They don't offer the coating anymore.

5 minutes ago, Deacon said:

They don't offer the coating anymore.

Oh, there we go then. Makes that easier. Like I said, not sure it's worth the extra anyway.

1 minute ago, S18 RSG said:

Oh, there we go then. Makes that easier. Like I said, not sure it's worth the extra anyway.

every little helps with managing under bonnet temps on these cars

1 minute ago, Tareim said:

every little helps with managing under bonnet temps on these cars

I mean in terms of the extra money, not in terms of the benefits. Of course the lower temps help, but perhaps not in relation to the cost in some cases.

1 minute ago, knightryder said:

If it comes with a heatshield then you don't need the coating. The OEM one does a decent job after all.

Its not a proper heat shield for the manifold, its just a bit of sticky heat reflective stuff to put on the back of the sump.

Ah OK. I don't follow the development so I assumed it meant a heatshied had been developed. I still wonder whether one could be produced out of flexible materials that would still do a decent job.

After hearing Rich's at Japfest I went ahead and ordered the 1320 today with the 60mm overpipe. Going to get it either ceramic coated or heat protected before fitting at Fensport on July 1st.

8 minutes ago, CanaryWundaboy said:

After hearing Rich's at Japfest I went ahead and ordered the 1320 today with the 60mm overpipe. Going to get it either ceramic coated or heat protected before fitting at Fensport on July 1st.

Who did you deal with at 1320? Or did you just order straight off the site? I could never get an answer from them.