Deacon

So.... talk manifolds to me

35 minutes ago, Merich22 said:

So probably better to hold off and get a Tomei or Borla?

Borla is UEL, Tomei does both EL and UEL. The eBay one is EL.

If you want UEL but without the cost then 1320 Performance or Gruppe-S seem to be well reputed in the States. The Gruppe-S is believed to be a "White Label" Tomei ;)

4 minutes ago, knightryder said:

Borla is UEL, Tomei does both EL and UEL. The eBay one is EL.

If you want UEL but without the cost then 1320 Performance or Gruppe-S seem to be well reputed in the States. The Gruppe-S is believed to be a "White Label" Tomei ;)

Yeah, I think I'll prefer the UEL. Thanks bud, ill look into Gruppe-S too.. I'd never heard of them until now! 

Just a side note, I'm in the same position as you now @Merich22.

As knight said, the 1320 and GruppeS manifold are really cheap, but I have had quotes for both from suppliers, and after shipping and import taxes, both end up around £500 or more, plus you generally have to wait around 2-3 weeks minimum for it to arrive. Then you have the issue of warranty. Sure, you have a warranty, but any replacements will have to be sent back to America, so you could go weeks without a manifold again.

Compare that to a Tomei/Borla sourced from the UK, sure, you'll pay around £600, but you get it within a few days, you pay no extra, and you have a UK based warranty and returns program. That's worth the extra £100 in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Just a side note, I'm in the same position as you now @Merich22.

As knight said, the 1320 and GruppeS manifold are really cheap, but I have had quotes for both from suppliers, and after shipping and import taxes, both end up around £500 or more, plus you generally have to wait around 2-3 weeks minimum for it to arrive. Then you have the issue of warranty. Sure, you have a warranty, but any replacements will have to be sent back to America, so you could go weeks without a manifold again.

Compare that to a Tomei/Borla sourced from the UK, sure, you'll pay around £600, but you get it within a few days, you pay no extra, and you have a UK based warranty and returns program. That's worth the extra £100 in my eyes.

@S18 RSG I never thought of it like that! Yeah, for the extra £100 pound, it's more than worth it when you put it like that! 

Suppose I'd better start saving! :lol:

I'd consider the top speed with the sports cat if my stock manifold goes pop (likely at some point with track abuse and forced induction)...as I want it keep things quiet.

Pipe diameter is one of the factors that makes an exhaust quieter.

My Cosworth cat back has some pretty sizable silencers, but being 3inch it is still fairly loud.

One of the quietest manifold is the Fujitsubo Super Ex. It has bigger runners but the main outlet is only 60.5mm 2.38 which keep exhaust velocity up and make the silencer more effective. Shame its about £1400 imported. 

1 minute ago, knightryder said:

I wouldn't buy a Borla..... They have consistently had issues.

Tru dat

I reckon H&S could make a manifold is stock sized primaries and a high quality (these cost £250) sports cat pretty cheaply

I think I've narrowed it down to a catted HKS manifold, the Gruppe-S manifold or the ACE 400.

The catted HKS is tempting if it helps pass the emissions tests, the ACE is tempting for the sheer power and torque output it should be capable of and the Gruppe-S is tempting for the price and balance of performance it seems to offer. Hmmm....

Lets jsut see what the ACE does. All the result stateside are heavily screwed towards sellnig the product! Not saying it isnt good, but I wouldnt expect miracles over the HKS part when Mark gets round to test one. 

The key is to see a car WITH a tune and then the exact same car with the manifold and a tune from the same person..

25 minutes ago, Merich22 said:

I've been toying with going down the route of FI anyway, so might just hold off and pay @Mike@TD.co.uk a visit hopefully soon. I think TD now offer EL & UEL unless I'm mistaken! 

Yes they do, I'm having their EL fitted at the end of the month

1 minute ago, STEVO9000 said:

I've got a TD Manifold waiting to go on as well, just need a slot where I can make it upto TD for fitting and mapping to be done :) 

EL or UEL?  

I really need to get my finger out and get it done! 

9 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

From what I understand the numbers between a TD EL and UEL are so close that it is neither here nor there so it just boils down to the cost and what kind of noise you want to make

True, but then I'm sure the sweet sound of the UEL rumble will get to me, and I'll have to have it! :lol:

Performance wise, is it not only +- 5hp anyway, I'm sure I can live with that! 

17 minutes ago, Merich22 said:

True, but then I'm sure the sweet sound of the UEL rumble will get to me, and I'll have to have it! :lol:

Performance wise, is it not only +- 5hp anyway, I'm sure I can live with that! 

It's maybe +/- 5hp peak, but how often are you driving at 7500rpm? And when you are, you wouldn't feel 5hp.

I would argue that having a more linear torque curve in the mid range, and basically no torque dip, makes more difference than 5hp peak. That was my reason for swaying towards UEL, plus of course the sound.

17 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

It's maybe +/- 5hp peak, but how often are you driving at 7500rpm? And when you are, you wouldn't feel 5hp.

I would argue that having a more linear torque curve in the mid range, and basically no torque dip, makes more difference than 5hp peak. That was my reason for swaying towards UEL, plus of course the sound.

I agree completely! 

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

I think I've narrowed it down to a catted HKS manifold, the Gruppe-S manifold or the ACE 400.

The catted HKS is tempting if it helps pass the emissions tests, the ACE is tempting for the sheer power and torque output it should be capable of and the Gruppe-S is tempting for the price and balance of performance it seems to offer. Hmmm....

which HKS manifold? as one of them only has like 10cm (at most) length of celled section so unlikely to be too effective

2 hours ago, Merich22 said:

EL or UEL?  

I really need to get my finger out and get it done! 

EL, I prefer the note over the UEL version :) 

I'm dying to get it fitted! But Mike needs my car for 2 days to wrap it, fit it and map the car. So it's either a weekend at end of May, or trying desperately to get 2 days off together in the week from work haha! 

I may end up dropping it off and leaving it for a few days if I can arrange transport back and fore to work.

Well that's interesting, as I'm having a similar chat with Mike to do my car. Again starting from stock. But I'm going UEL, so we should be able to get a straight comparison... That'll be quite cool to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cool :)

Mine isn't stock at the moment. I'm running a Berk HFC and a Milltek secondary cat back system with a Cosworth panel filter in the air box. Ran 197.6bhp on TD's rollers a couple of weeks ago.

7 hours ago, knightryder said:

I wouldn't buy a Borla..... They have consistently had issues.

Oh damn, Such as? I've just bought one too 😂

1 hour ago, Tom B said:

Oh damn, Such as? I've just bought one too 😂

Early ones were just poor quality and cracked welds. Quite a few were replaced under warranty. The collectors weren't also that great quality. I would have said that they were a budget quality product priced at medium quality prices.

I think if you're spending that kind of money, I'd get the Tomei over the Borla. As the Gruppe-S is apparently the same as the Tomei, but even cheaper then I'd say that's a no brainer. All depends on how much it costs you to get the spares or find a retailer to do it for you.