adamj29

Adam's Stage 3 Turbo Rocket Bunny

Looks the dogs danglies! How are you finding the new brakes? Did you just go with the fronts Adam or upgrade all round? 

Cheers guys. I upgraded all around James, Hawk pads and DBA discs! Such a difference, I've never understood the importance of good performance brakes until my first proper track days the other week. These are definatly a worthwhile upgrade I'd say. 

I've given in to the FI by the way, saving up for a Turbo as I'm not sure if Fensport offer finance. Hopefully going to take it into the 350BHP + bracket  :)

Cheers guys. I upgraded all around James, Hawk pads and DBA discs! Such a difference, I've never understood the importance of good performance brakes until my first proper track days the other week. These are definatly a worthwhile upgrade I'd say. 

I've given in to the FI by the way, saving up for a Turbo as I'm not sure if Fensport offer finance. Hopefully going to take it into the 350BHP + bracket  :)

Good stuff mate, I have been lagging on brakes at the moment, but that is only because I haven't been on track. When you are on the road you cannot explore the braking capability like you can on a regular basis on the track, so it is is great to hear your feedback. Guess the feel through the pedal is a lot more confidence inspiring? A lot more bite or is it quite progressive with the DBA's? 

Oh that is awesome! Stage 4 AVO kit I am guessing then? Will watch this thread with great intent from now on then :) 

Good stuff mate, I have been lagging on brakes at the moment, but that is only because I haven't been on track. When you are on the road you cannot explore the braking capability like you can on a regular basis on the track, so it is is great to hear your feedback. Guess the feel through the pedal is a lot more confidence inspiring? A lot more bite or is it quite progressive with the DBA's? 

Oh that is awesome! Stage 4 AVO kit I am guessing then? Will watch this thread with great intent from now on then :)

It is quite progressive actually with the discs, I'm still bedding them in so taking it fairly easy but as you said I'm a lot more confident when I do put my foot down knowing I have the stopping power there.

Well I was thinking the Stage 3 AVO Kit to be honest, all depends on funds, I've had a approx figure off Fensport a while back but will get in touch with them in a few months after I've moved house. (I can't take out the loan until my mortgage goes through haha). But I need that pop, crackle and boost in my life, I used to have a turbo MX-5 Mk2. Which lasted a few weeks until it blew up, but those 2 weeks were the best weeks of my life, however I'm sure that won't be happening this time  :P

It is quite progressive actually with the discs, I'm still bedding them in so taking it fairly easy but as you said I'm a lot more confident when I do put my foot down knowing I have the stopping power there.

Well I was thinking the Stage 3 AVO Kit to be honest, all depends on funds, I've had a approx figure off Fensport a while back but will get in touch with them in a few months after I've moved house. (I can't take out the loan until my mortgage goes through haha). But I need that pop, crackle and boost in my life, I used to have a turbo MX-5 Mk2. Which lasted a few weeks until it blew up, but those 2 weeks were the best weeks of my life, however I'm sure that won't be happening this time  :P

I collected my Stage 3 AVO car yesterday from Fensport, complete with HKS forged internals.

I shall be writing up my blog this morning with first impressions. Mind you, I've only done 70-odd miles so far - the first test will be next Saturday at Woodbridge followed by Sunday's TSS round.

I can admit I am in awe. This is, without shadow of a doubt, the most powerful car I have ever driven. The acceleration is unbelievable..

Spec K

I collected my Stage 3 AVO car yesterday from Fensport, complete with HKS forged internals.

I shall be writing up my blog this morning with first impressions. Mind you, I've only done 70-odd miles so far - the first test will be next Saturday at Woodbridge followed by Sunday's TSS round.

I can admit I am in awe. This is, without shadow of a doubt, the most powerful car I have ever driven. The acceleration is unbelievable..

Spec K

It sounds great. Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what exactly are forged internals? Are they basically stronger internal components of the engine to take the extra pressure of having a turbo? I want the car to have all the recommended upgrades to make it as reliable as possible. What approximate bhp are you running, if you don't mind me asking?

Glad to hear it is insanely powerful haha, enjoy mate. Very envious. I will give your blog a read, and try and educate myself further  :)

Forged means they are forged. Which means instead of being cast, they are done so under very high pressure. 

Forged over cast means much, much stronger. Obviously the more boost pressure you put the engine under, the higher the amounts of pressure, the rods and pistons need to withstand. 

Upto 330bhp (Stage 3 IIRC) is fine it seems on stock internals. 

Forged means they are forged. Which means instead of being cast, they are done so under very high pressure. 

Forged over cast means much, much stronger. Obviously the more boost pressure you put the engine under, the higher the amounts of pressure, the rods and pistons need to withstand. 

Upto 330bhp (Stage 3 IIRC) is fine it seems on stock internals. 

Ahh right, thanks for the explanation Lauren. So I'm assuming if you are looking to get up to around 400bhp, it would probably be a good Idea to go for the forged internals. Its a balance between wanting to squeeze the maximum power out of a turbo, but upgrading the necessary parts accordingly and forking out the money to do so. I guess buying and having these forged internals fitted isn't going to be cheap, maybe too much for my budget. Another question for Fensport I think.

You've just entered the slippery slope of modifying Adam, you'll never be able to escape now! :P And yes anything over -320hp ish your are much better off forging the engine internals for both reliability and increasing the engines potential power wise!

Adam, you are talking a lot of money to get a fully built forged bottom end. You will need to add a few grand (guessing about £5K) to all that if you're paying someone to do it all. You may want to consider how necessary it is to have 400bhp in a GT86. 

But don't forget, you can cast at high pressures too.. We cast alli at work with ~900 bar metal pressure..

Forging is performed when the metal is in semi solid state? (And you can cast semi solid state too to confuse things even more!)

You've just entered the slippery slope of modifying Adam, you'll never be able to escape now! :P And yes anything over -320hp ish your are much better off forging the engine internals for both reliability and increasing the engines potential power wise!

Well It looks like I'm going to be rather skint. However I may need to look at this in more depth now as my budget can't stretch too much. This really is an expensive game, why oh why didn't I take up golf or squash or something much less painful. Not that these compare to going sideways on a track day haha! I've had a MX5 Mk2 with a big turbo strapped to it, with hardly any other upgrades and I've seen how it slowly breaks apart and becomes increasingly unreliable. I got to know our local AA man very well.

Adam, you are talking a lot of money to get a fully built forged bottom end. You will need to add a few grand (guessing about £5K) to all that if you're paying someone to do it all. You may want to consider how necessary it is to have 400bhp in a GT86. 

Yea that is definitely out of my price range at the moment, being a speed freak and being used to fast cars I'd be inclined to say its very necessary to have 400bhp  :P  But realistically I may have to settle for slightly less, for now anyway. I'll wait and see what prices Fensport come back to me with. If it works out cheaper for the turbo than I originally budgeted, this may well be an option. 

Thanks for all the advise again, It's a real big help.

As the idiot that I am, I have realised that I've got my project build in the Modification section of this forum. So I am now creating this new one to continue.

My old thread: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2017-adamjs-gt86/?page=1

I have only recently had a AVO Stage 3 Turbo installed onto my GT86, along with the 3" AVO Exhaust System with a few extra goodies - an uprated fuel pump and injectors, P3 gauge and oil cooler all carried out by the wonderful Fensport, Its running approximately 320bhp - 330bhp, as far as you can go without Forged Internals.

12068945_10153264941328251_2302503015739

I absolutely love it...obviously. If any of you are quibbling over whether to go down the route of forced induction I highly recommend it, It transforms the car. As the BHP of my car has gone up, so has my immaturity when driving it. Dropping down a gear, and putting you foot down unleashes this chaotic concoction of power, whosshhing noise and terror. As childish as it sounds the noise of the dump valve is also extremely pleasing to the ear. And knowing that you have the power to keep up with the Porsches and cars that are in the £60K plus bracket, gives you that confidence on the road / track. 

A few pictures of the install that Fensport were kind enough to take for me:

12087799_10153264941338251_8062933794490

12091431_10153264941233251_3636151176730

12119978_10153264941373251_6159187008297

12138503_10153264941068251_8678176104392

12138585_10153264941098251_4322739604359

I love how not 'in your face' these modifications are. Upon lifting the bonnet, the AVO turbo doesn't bulge out and scream "I'M HERE!!" complete with multi luminescent colored pipes and leads. It is very subtle, anyone who doesn't own this car and not mechanically minded wouldn't probably realize it has a turbo, which is something some people like and some not. Me personally, I love that fact it is so stealthy modded (apart from the wheels and spoiler of course), but performance wise, no one would really know. The intercooler is black, which doesn't stand out. The P3 gauge is hidden in the drivers air vent, and the engine bay isn't cluttered. 

The AVO 3" Exhaust system complements the turbo, with a deep rumble upon start up, and when pushing the revs the noise is loud and pleasing. However there is none of that droning noise on long journeys. And when you get that turbo pop, It's beautiful (I wonder if there is the odd chance of a flame?). A few times I've caught the odd pedestrian off guard as the exhaust pops, watching them cr@p their pants, looking around to see where the noise has come from.

12045513_10153264941123251_9094428358821 

Ooooo Shiny...

As recommended by Adrian at Fensport, I've lifted my coilovers to a sensible height and had the wheels aligned, this has improved the handling no ends and made the car a lot more practical. Now I can even get over speed bumps.

The only issue as mentioned that I've had recently is a slight grinding / transmission noise when the revs have been dropping between 3,000 and 2,000 RPM. However I will pop over to Tuning Developments and RRG on Tuesday to see what they think.

My car plan was to have a GT86 N/A for a few years, and then possibly look at a second hand R8. I've delayed this plan by going for the Turbo and I haven't looked back. To me this car handles like a supercar, and now has the performance to go with it!

12091432_10153264941313251_8352920140842073601_o.jpg

looks sweet and nice choice the the exhaust. Love my Avo. I know it's not turbo ready but they are a lovely exhaust 

!!!!!!!!!!!! Not interest in the 2.5" AVO. nutters I would have that form you if I did not buy one a few months ago

Anyone looking for a lovely made, lovely sounding exhaust get Adam's and quick. 

Edited by remal

looks sweet and nice choice the the exhaust. Love my Avo. I know it's not turbo ready but they are a lovely exhaust 

!!!!!!!!!!!! Not interest in the 2.5" AVO. nutters I would have that form you if I did not buy one a few months ago

Anyone looking for a lovely made, lovely sounding exhaust get Adam's and quick. 

Haha cheers mate, the AVO exhausts are second to none. The sound is perfect on them, and they look the business! The one I'm selling isn't AVO though, It's a custom made one, from Alunox racing exhausts. Sounds great, but a completely different tone to the AVO and not as loud. :)

Glad to see you have finally got a proper build thread mate. 

One thing I did forget to ask you the other day on Facebook, do you have any issues with clearance with the 3 inch overpipe around the subframe area? When GBH Motorsport recently sorted out my exhaust system and stopped it rubbing, they said a 3" would be a real horrible fit in terms of space, do you have any rubbing issues?

The other thing was in regards to the grinding noise you are having from the tranny... Have you upgraded the clutch at all to a heavy duty unit? All I am saying is that a lot of the heavy duty clutches have quite a bit of chatter and when you are cruising down the RPM range (between 2-3k) you will get a lot of tranny noise. My big ACT clutch chatters ALOT, and at low speed will make a racket, so it could be that?

If you haven't done that, then ignore it and it might be a small issue that you need looking at :)

Just thought I'd throw that out there given my personal experience. 

Glad to see you have finally got a proper build thread mate. 

One thing I did forget to ask you the other day on Facebook, do you have any issues with clearance with the 3 inch overpipe around the subframe area? When GBH Motorsport recently sorted out my exhaust system and stopped it rubbing, they said a 3" would be a real horrible fit in terms of space, do you have any rubbing issues?

The other thing was in regards to the grinding noise you are having from the tranny... Have you upgraded the clutch at all to a heavy duty unit? All I am saying is that a lot of the heavy duty clutches have quite a bit of chatter and when you are cruising down the RPM range (between 2-3k) you will get a lot of tranny noise. My big ACT clutch chatters ALOT, and at low speed will make a racket, so it could be that?

If you haven't done that, then ignore it and it might be a small issue that you need looking at :)

Just thought I'd throw that out there given my personal experience. 

Cheers Nicebiscuit.

I haven't had an Issues to be honest James, clearance is fine and there has been no rubbing what so ever, it must be the AVO set up I guess. What size exhaust are you currently running, 2.5"? 

I've just been to see Mike at Tuning Developments in Warrington (apologies Richard, I didn't have time to pop onto yourselves), Mike has confirmed that the grinding noise is just like you said, extra transmission noise due to the upgraded clutch and flywheel. PHEWWW. I'm a bit over cautions at times due to previous mechanical disasters I've experienced with other cars in the past.. Better to be safe than sorry though I guess.

Mike mentioned that they are having an open day on November the 1st, so will be going along to that and getting car on the dyno, will be interesting to see what it is currently running at the moment.You coming? Also went out in his turbo'd GT86, very nice, it went like excrement off a shovel!! And looks beautiful. :)