adamj29

Adam's Stage 3 Turbo Rocket Bunny

Surprisingly easy job raising the coilovers. I'm a novice when it comes to anything mechanical, so I was fearing this job. But to be honest it was relevantly easy... I have the ST XTA coilovers, every make must be different I assume, but these only have the one collar, it was a simple case of loosening the lock fixing on the collar with the key tool given and twisting the collar to the required height (and locking collar back again).

post-563-0-44451200-1427446489_thumb.jpg

The car was so low, I had to drive it onto about 50mm thick wooden planks, to be able to get the jack under it, and then the jack stands.. 

post-563-0-79429000-1427446557_thumb.jpg

I measured from the base of the thread to the top of the collar, It work out well as they seemed spot on, apart from one which was 1mm out!! 

New ride height is a lot more sensible, as I can now park my car on drive with ease. Even if I was driving down a lane with a lot of camber on it, I would catch the underneath of it. I guess I will have to get the wheels aligned now...

A few friends are driving down to the Nurbergring next month and my greatest fear was not being able to get the car on the ferry, that problem should be solved now. I'm still unsure whether to take the car onto the track as It's my pride and joy, and if I did end up damaging it, it would turn me into an emotional wreck, I'd end up spending days sobbing into a bucket of Ben and Jerrys...

Ordered a rear roof spoiler / visor from Tarmac sport and hoping to order a carbon fibre rear spoiler shortly.  :)

I'd love to go down the forced induction route, but I can't justify the expense along with the fact that it may invalidate the warranty?.. But still, I could do with just a little more power!! Tempted by the lightweight pulley kit, but not sure if that will improve the performance??  :wacko:

Looks good fella, to be honest the Nordschleife is a once in a lifetime experience. However you see so many compilation videos on Youtube of people dropping it on the grass when pushing etc, it does possess an element of risk. I think if you are sensible and don't push the car TOO much you would have a great day and come back from the Green Hell unscathed. Put it this way, would you regret it more if you didn't go at all? 

Like you I am staying N/A, and although I don't have the biggest budget in the world, I want to try and push this engine as much as possible (saving up for a stroker kit next year). 

Free flowing exhaust including catless manifold, remap and crawford power blocks are probably the best bang for buck mods you can do with an N/A car at the moment in regards to torque and power. 

Pulleys, lightweight flywheel and aluminium/carbon propshafts will not increase power, however it will release more of the power you have to the wheels, as the engine requires less energy to turn them. This means the car will be more eager to rev (and lose revs) and throttle response will be a hell of a lot better. This in turn makes the car faster as less weight to shove around, means more power to your wheels and therefore more usable power to make the car accelerate faster. 

With N/A it is all about reducing rotational mass as you don't have the massive grunt of FI, so I would say it is worth it. I am picking up a lightweight flywheel at the weekend, but I will also be looking at a pulley kit later on in the year, so it would be good to see how you get on too. 

When you set the ride height, it's better to measure from the sills to a flat floor. But, as long it all measures okay, that's fine. 

James the lightweight pulley kits do not seem to have a harmonic damper. For the negligible gian (and it will negligible) it's not worth the risk. 

Thanks for your comments :)  Mark, right back at you, love the TRD bumper, does look a lot meaner!! Lavaly

Yeah James I think I would regret not doing at least 1 lap of the ring, but if its rainy or the conditions aren't appropriate I may have to sit it out. (or maybe I need to man up.) Let me know how you get on with the lightweight Flywheel, and your other mods, as this is probably the route I will be taking. Would you need to remap the car after installing the Crawford Power Blocks? Is it proven to increase the BHP 18 - 20? Not a large cost in ratio to the power gain.

I have a carbon fibre ducktail style spoiler on delivery and a rear window fender coming soon so hopefully these will be carried out with the same ease.. Unlike the Blitz SUS Induction Kit, which instructions were in Japanese haha

I'll double check the ride height using that method Lauren, thanks.

If you are going to the Ring, I'd say get some experience on UK tracks first. Also do a few hundred laps on GT/Forza etc, to learn the track. It often rains at the Ring and it can easily be sunny on one part and dry on the next such is the weather system there. I'd get some expericence of driving in the wet. I say that because if you end up going there and it rains and you don't go out because of it, it's a bit of a wasted journey. Gain confidence in the wet, take the fear out of it. :)

I am booked in for May at Fensport. I will be getting a map, and installing the clutch and the flywheel. When I get home I will do a full rundown of the drive home and how it has changed the car, so will give you a nudge when that is published so you can take a look mate :) 

In regards to the Crawford BPB's, from what I have read up on the FT86 forum, they are most effective on a stock engine, as when you start mapping your engine and do a full exhaust upgrade (manifold included) the gains start to shrink. This is because by lengthening the intake runners, it shifts the whole torque curve lower down according to my knowledge. 

On a stock engine that is fine, as that is where the biggest gains are to be had. However with a map and a full exhaust system you are already eradicating power and torque black spots in the power band, meaning rather than a major upgrade the BPB's become a more complimentary modification. That does not mean they are useless, far from it, their effectiveness just shrinks. 

Independent test on them here: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3443/TESTED-Crawford-Performance-FR-SBRZ-Power-Blocks-Intake-Manifold-Spacers.aspx

If you are going to the Ring, I'd say get some experience on UK tracks first. Also do a few hundred laps on GT/Forza etc, to learn the track. It often rains at the Ring and it can easily be sunny on one part and dry on the next such is the weather system there. I'd get some expericence of driving in the wet. I say that because if you end up going there and it rains and you don't go out because of it, it's a bit of a wasted journey. Gain confidence in the wet, take the fear out of it. :)

Completely agree, doubt I will have much time to get onto the track as we are going a week on Friday so may just go on the track but take it easy. I've been gaming it, to learn the track as much as I can. Wish me luck  :)

I am booked in for May at Fensport. I will be getting a map, and installing the clutch and the flywheel. When I get home I will do a full rundown of the drive home and how it has changed the car, so will give you a nudge when that is published so you can take a look mate :)

In regards to the Crawford BPB's, from what I have read up on the FT86 forum, they are most effective on a stock engine, as when you start mapping your engine and do a full exhaust upgrade (manifold included) the gains start to shrink. This is because by lengthening the intake runners, it shifts the whole torque curve lower down according to my knowledge. 

On a stock engine that is fine, as that is where the biggest gains are to be had. However with a map and a full exhaust system you are already eradicating power and torque black spots in the power band, meaning rather than a major upgrade the BPB's become a more complimentary modification. That does not mean they are useless, far from it, their effectiveness just shrinks. 

Independent test on them here: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3443/TESTED-Crawford-Performance-FR-SBRZ-Power-Blocks-Intake-Manifold-Spacers.aspx

Thanks for the link, yeah if you could let me know when it is published mate that would be cracking, cheers. It may not be worth it in my case, but still rather interesting.

Thanks for the link, yeah if you could let me know when it is published mate that would be cracking, cheers. It may not be worth it in my case, but still rather interesting.

Yeah not to worry, will give you a nudge when they are up pal :)

I am going to chat with Adrian and the gang about N/A tuning whilst I am there too. 

Had delivery of my new spoiler today, carbon fibre Eurolinea Spoiler. (Thanks to Kevin for the help). Also had a read window visor spoiler that needed fitting, so skipped work early and got to work.

OEM Spoiler

Amazing the dirt that collects under the spoiler!

post-563-0-71161300-1428434215_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up

post-563-0-13609600-1428434231_thumb.jpg

New Eurolinea Carbon Fibre spoiler

Fitted:

post-563-0-66061100-1428434458_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-48496200-1428434465_thumb.jpg

I'm really happy with both items. Easy to install as well, ish. Apart from loosing damn fixings in the inside of the boot lid (that was a fun task to carry out... the neighbours looked at me weirdly as I was shaking the boot lid like a madman) May need to add a few more carbon parts to go with it... 

:)

Will get some decent photos taken soon...

IMG_5645.JPG

Awesome, really like that spoiler! I too dropped a bolt into the boot when I removed my spoiler but luckily I had plenty of long strong wires that you get from packaging to tie things down with.

Cheers guys, yea I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but hell I love it. Loots the balls, but I do think I need to invest in some smoked rear lights but on the cheap as funds are getting tight (May put a wanted advert on here to see if anyone has any spare). And definitely black Toyota badges.

Haha Keith! Yes its incredibly infuriating dropping the bolts, I gently tapped the boot lid as the car was on a slight hill, and slowly the things shook themselves out.... pain-in-the-arse!

The aesthetic changes I always hate doing as I think to myself that, that money could be spent on mechanical parts haha! But I think wheels and rear lights/wing is something that polishes the car off :) 

I am sure someone will have smoked Valenti lights on the cheap for you! 

Where did you get the wing from mate? Not seen one about on my travels when looking online.