Guest zen

Choosing aftermarket wheels - advice wanted

Guest zen

Alright folks, I am hoping you can help me escape my confusion. There is just too much information out there and I am struggling to get through it and know what to do...

I have been thinking about getting a set of alloys to hold some new rubber, and then use my OEM rims for winter tyres, for the... err... winter... (although to be honest I have just got through a winter with only one day when I needed to take the defender to work and the stock 86 coped well with all weathers/temperatures, but anyways).

Right, so a week or so ago I had a nearside read blowout, and now have some crap tyre on that corner as a stopgap to keep me moving. So it's a great chance to sort this properly.

However, I am confused by all the options available to me, which I would be grateful for any advice you can share to help me find a path.

So, the standard wheel is 17x7 et48 weighing in at 9.1Kg, and I understand that reducing this weight (or the combined wheel/tyre weight is desirable), but other than that I am struggling to know how best to proceed...

From an aesthetic point of view I would like to get 18 inch rims, and if I changed the characteristics of the stock car at all I would opt for a little more precision on the front end (although I guess that is more a setup thing?) and if the grip was to change, I would opt for more rather than less. I am more than happy to throw out a little comfort (I mentioned the defender already, right?) for performance.

So, 17 or 18 inch?

Stick with 7.5 or would wider be better?

Offset I am sure I can worry about after that.

How the hell do you compare wheels, particular with regard to weight, as it seems that people don't like to share info.

And finally, where counts as a reputable place to purchase? Any UK supplier that I should look at?

That's a long ramble, but hopefully I have been clear enough that someone can help.

Z.

PS: Is it just me that finds this to be incomprehensible despite the endless web pages about the topic?

I guess it depends really on if you want to buy new or second hand wheels really as you can pick up some nice rims for a decent price, tyre choice will affect how the car feels and handles and the width comes down to personal preference really im currently on some slightly wider wheels and find the car feels soo much more planted in the corners, i also have a set of work emotions for sale if your interested in buying a second hand set

There are a lot of information on the Internet about wheels but even more opinions which don't always help when picking wheels as it's such a personal preference thing, whether you are after style over performance or vice versa. There are those on here who have stuck with 17 as they are believed to give better handling, plus they are typically lighter which again is a plus, others have gone for bigger wheels for looks. I'm personally wanting to go 18 purely for looks as I find that 17 look too small for the arches. I would typically stay with the same width or go a little wider for a bit more grip but at the same time, I might go even wider because the alloys that I do want look awesome when wide as they concave more. Typically the wider the wheels, the more grip which would be advised if you plan on going Forced Induction. As for offset, you'll be limited to choice here anyways but again, for looks, I'd want an offset that makes the wheels stick out more so they look more flush with the arches rather than the stock look which looks like the wheels are lost in the arches again.

So again, very little info here but plenty of opinion so take what you will, but here's a handy tool I use to help http://www.frsproject.com/tire_size.php

Guest zen

Thanks guys,

I am a little out commuting distance to all the meets I have seen, but yeah... :)

I am happy to buy second hand, particularly from a forum member. Unfortunately, adam, I am currently aiming for 18s in black, but thanks for the heads up.

So, 18x8 wheels would be as reasonable a choice as any? The only real downside is the potential extra weight over 17s?

Impossible questions to answer really Zen, it's all down to personal preferences

I love my 18x9.5 Rays all round but some say it's a bit much

I know Lauren prefers to have a bit less grip than I like to have. I chose my Rays mainly due to the aesthetics of them and then my track wheels I'll be looking for something completely different

18x8 is quite common for those staying NA but in terms of weight, that will depend on the wheel you buy, some can be lighter than the current stock 17 but most probably will be heavier.

I went with 17x8's with the view of staying N/A and with a 225 section tyre it should give you more than enough grip. Obviously the 18's are better for looks in some peoples opinion, however they will be heavier than the 17's which is why I didn't go that large. 

However it is one of those grey areas where you are neither right or wrong whichever method you choose, because at the end of the day it is all subjective to how you want your car to look/perform. 

Go with whatever makes you happiest :) 

Impossible questions to answer really Zen, it's all down to personal preferences

I love my 18x9.5 Rays all round but some say it's a bit much

I know Lauren prefers to have a bit less grip than I like to have. I chose my Rays mainly due to the aesthetics of them and then my track wheels I'll be looking for something completely different

jord just wondering how tight do you think fitting would be with 10" under the rear and 9.5 on the front?

18x8 with a 225/40/18 is fine. If you want wheels that are light, you'll need to look second hand unless you have a couple of grand knocking about.

Cheap Taiwanese copies (Rota etc) are heavy and not as strong as forged wheels. Most people buy them for aesthetics and price. I prefer 17's, as cars handle better on smaller wheels, plus they are lighter. My wheels are 7.4kg, against stock at 9.2kg. A light wheel makes a big difference.

If you can't afford forged wheels like TE37's, etc, then you could look at Gram Lights which are a good half way house, being a decent Japanese wheel and still relatively light.

If you fit 17's and put 225/45/17s on then there is too much sidewall flex, this is why I run stock sizes on an 8" rim. 225/40's on an 18" wheel are fine though as there's less flex with the reduction in profile.

It all depends what you want really. If you want cheap and for it to look good, buy some Taiwanese copies. If you are all about handling and that, save up for some Rays or keep a beady eye out and buy secondhand like I did, then refurb them. The good thing is, my wheels will always be worth what it's cost me.

Or find a compromise and buy Gram Lights, Enkei or Works wheels.

That is quite light are they 9's? But a cast wheel will be nowhere near as strong as a forged wheel. 

yes 9's, true they aren't strong and i'd question how strong are they due to being so light they must be hollow  :lol:

I'm one of the people that's always liked the look of the OEM rims, in fact a few people when admiring the car have asked about them as they assumed they were after market ones! But the way I look at things is that a lot of discussions about wheels is more often than not fashion related (the current fashion for nearly all 'sporty' cars being 18" or bigger). The problem is that the bigger you go the more money you need to spend to keep things light, and the other advantage of the OEM's is that while they are not the lightest out there, for an OEM in weight terms they are not half bad. Also while large rims and low profile rubber is I'm sure great on the track, on British pot holes things are less enjoyable.

But back to fashion, my own ideal looks for a sports car are the classic vintage shapes, the E-Types and GT2000s of the past. But look at their tiny wheels and large profile tyres and you can see that fashion has diverged significantly from those classic ideals. 

I was confused too, it is down too personal taste and what you do with the car. Mine is a daily user, see the Modifications forum, Changing Wheels for picture of my 18 inch Rotas, conservative choice of finish, kind of looks stock in terms of polished face but for me better spokes and I like 18 inch. All the best.

I like my cheap Taiwanese copies, but they weren't exactly cheap and they haven't turned to dust just yet and also I don't know which other wheels they're copying (don't care really), to be honest there is only so many things you can do with an 18" round object with 5 holes in for bolts to go through.