Guest zen

Choosing aftermarket wheels - advice wanted

8" isn't the offset

The numbers for wheels are as follows:

17"/18" = diameter of the wheel

7"/8" or sometimes 7J/8J = width of the wheel

Offset is then a number in double figures, usually between 30 and 50 for our cars, which will give you how much the wheel will stick out when botled onto the hub

A useful comparison guide can be found here:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

I'm on 18" x 9.5J wheels, offset ET40

The wider the wheel, the more it sticks out obviously, so you want a HIGHER ET to counteract this as the higher the offset number, the more the wheel sits inside the arch

However, you also have to think about inside the arch to make sure the inside of the rim doesn't catch the suspension

So, I'd 1st of all find a set of wheels that you like, find the size you want (usually 17" or 18") and then you can look at widths and offsets to make it sit nicely

If it's any help I would look for less offset to fill the arches better and consider an 8" rim which can take the stock tyre with a tiny bit of stretch (as I do) or run 225/45/17s. Mine have an offset of 38 which gives me an extra 20mm track and looks better too. 

So I have 17x8 with an offset of 38. 

If you have a 7" rim you don't really want to go wider than the stock sizes. TRD etc use a 7.5" wide rim with 225/40/18's, but honestly 8" is preferable for this tyre width. 

Sorry Smuge I may have written my post incorrectly. 

I meant to say we are looking at 17" or 18" with wither 7j width or 8j width. I just want to make sure the offset  ET is correct for both size

I'm only looking for looks not getting the widest tyre.  

IE if i went for 17" by 7J i can use ET 38 and the same for 18" by 8J width. Just wanted to make sure both would be correct before buying

For 7j an offset of 25 front and 18 rear is the maximum you can have, if lowered 30mm, reduce the offset 2mm

For an 8j an offset of 38 front and 31 rear is the maximum you can have, if lowered 30mm, reduce the offset 2mm

The above is for a flush setup, this info is taken from the ft86 forum in the states, probably a good read http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

That said, you can have less offset, there are links to images of peoples setups on that page as well and how they look.

Guys and gals, how does 17x7.5 with an et of 35 effect the driving of the car? understeering was mentioned but does get in the way of day to day driving? and how can the camber adjustment change this back for the same feel of the car?

If you're setup is square it won't mean anymore understeer. Minor changes in offset are not really going to be a factor. 

More camber on the front to a point will help turn in and likewise on the rear. But you need new suspension as well then. Toe is also a factor, so it's a number of things, with Toe and Camber being the ones that affect it the most. 

Would square mean you have the same offset all round? So going from stock et48 to et35 wont make too much difference to the driving conditions? The more i learn about this, the more i learn i need to learn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, DaveJenks95 said:

Looking to buy some JR11 wheels for my gt86

size: 18inch x 9.5 et30. anyone had any experience/issues with fitment etc with this setup?

There's a set that size up for sale on here. Could try asking the owner about fitment?

I'm running 18x8.5 ET30, with 225/40 tyres, and I'd be hard pushed to go much wider on the front without the tread being outside the arches (and therefore illegal).

On the rear I could potentially go out another 5-10mm (so up to ET20) before reaching the outer limit of legality, but at that point I'd probably be catching kerbs a lot more often.

On an 18x9.5 I assume you'll have to run quite a bit of stretch on the front to stay legal, which may mean running different tyre sizes front and back, which can cause the car to understeer more.

You're on the limit I would say.

1 hour ago, DaveJenks95 said:

Looking to buy some JR11 wheels for my gt86

size: 18inch x 9.5 et30. anyone had any experience/issues with fitment etc with this setup?

I had that fitment Dave, it was very agressive and needed 235/40 tyres to fit under the arches properly. But my car is fairly low so depending how low yours is you might be able to get a slightly wider tyre on there

49 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I'm running 18x8.5 ET30, with 225/40 tyres, and I'd be hard pushed to go much wider on the front without the tread being outside the arches (and therefore illegal).

On the rear I could potentially go out another 5-10mm (so up to ET20) before reaching the outer limit of legality, but at that point I'd probably be catching kerbs a lot more often.

On an 18x9.5 I assume you'll have to run quite a bit of stretch on the front to stay legal, which may mean running different tyre sizes front and back, which can cause the car to understeer more.

You're on the limit I would say.

Nope, I had 235/40 all round