smudge

Headlight adjustment for lowered cars

For anyone who's lowered, you won't have failed to notice that the headlight beam seems shorter and allows you to see less up ahead

Obviously, due to the car being lower, the lights are lower too. So the beam isn't shining so far ahead as it's now lower to the ground

Due to all xenon having auto-levelling systems, it's not possible to amend this

However, I've come across these from Cusco

cusco-auto-levelizer-adjustment-rod-13-s

http://www.rsaperformance.com/cuauleadro13.html

Ordered a set and will report back once they arrive

I didn't even think about how lowering the car lowers the lights....interested to see how this turns out.

If you lower the front more than the back (which most do by a mm or two) it would have a big effect on the distance. I have noticed mine is shorter but not drastically

My lights are a lot shorter, the autoleveling sensor is connected to the rear passenger control arm and is supposed to dip the beams when weight is added to the back so you don't dazzle oncoming traffic... its not to do with lowering the front more than the rear, just lowering in general (lowering the front more will make it worse though)...

I don't see the need for the cusco bit of kit though... Adrian told me the standard one can be reset/altered to account for the lowering, haven't had mine back on a ramp to investigate though

When I switched my suspension over I didn't think it could be adjusted hence I bolted it back on and now have p**s poor lights, was chatting to Adrian at Croft I think, may have even been Rockingham, and he said it could be, didn't go into details though.

Haven't looked at it in a while but can't the plastic arm be pulled off the sensor and repositioned?

It is basically two ball joints on a threaded shaft. All it does is shortens the distance between the levelling lever and the suspension arm, putting the levelling unit back to where it should be.

I noticed it said " Fixed your lights" too Rob, I think they mean, "fixes the problem".

So are people saying that it can be adjusted with the use of these? :wacko:

It certainly looks that way to me Smudge..

I would assume that one would take into account how much one has lowered their car, say, then measure the distance of this link from the arms pivot point, calculate the dimension one would shorten the link by and make the change.

So, if we assume the car is lowered by 50mm and the arm is half way along the suspension arm, the link needs to be 25mm shorter than stock. My only concern is when the car is jacked up, will it pull the lever beyond its operating range?