ourphil

Brake Pads

Does anyone know if Toyota has fitted Jurid Brake pads on new GT86's?

The reason I ask is as follows...

My front brake pads needed changing.

80% worn at 14.500 miles.

The brake fluid reservoir would notify me under general braking that I was low on fluid due to the low pads.

I appreciate that 14,500 miles is quite low miles to get out of the set of pads however spirited driving and track days don't help :)

The old pads that I took off were marked as Subaru.

I chickened out of upgrading to EBC type sport pads due to the upcoming cold weather.

Anyway to cut a long story short...

My standard pads have performed well so I opted for genuine standard pads and what I've been supplied are Jurid pads.

I've been told these are on new cars.

Any thoughts or info?

I'm about to put on my 3rd set of fronts, (OEMs changed to EBC Yellow stuff at 22k).

Having just checked the fronts (at 33k) they will need changing for the sprint at Rockingham (down to 2mm at leading edge) so have got about 11k out of the EBC yellow stuff

But in that 11k, they did do :

120 laps (200 miles) at Oulton, this totally finished the rear pads at 27k and the next days trip to Angelsey via the scenic route wore through  into the backing and shagged the rear disks (86 didn't go on track at Angelsey)

a full track day at Croft (about 150 miles)

TSS pre-season at Barkston Heath

3 TSS sprints (Blyton twice, plus Croft)

2 sessions at Lydden Hill

and nearly all of my driving is fast A/B roads with lots of overtaking and braking, I hate motorways dual/carriageways

I've been happy with the Yellow stuffs, no problems with lack of bite when cold on the road, but also no issues with fade even when super hot at Oulton (I had painted my calipers with 300 degree engine lacquer, after Oulton it was burnt black, and no its not dust!), so for me they suit my driving style on the Primacy tyres.

I have Special K's OEM front disks to go on tomorrow as well (he stuck on a BBK), once I get my original disks off I'll measure them to see what they are down to after 33k miles

Oh and I'm on the 3rd set on the back as well, but that is down to the cock up with trying the unvented cheapo rear disks after Angelsey and having a pad fall out so I had to get another set of pads as well as the OEM vented rears!

Alec (hoping that tomorrow is going to have the sunshine my phone says there will be)

How many coats did you apply?

3 I think, makes me laugh to think what would happened if I'd used their caliper paint, see spec below from their website, brake calipers do not get that hot my Arse!! :P  

• Suitable for use on brake calipers & brake drums
  • Touch-dry in about 40-45 minutes. Through-dry 24 hours
  • Maximum working temperature of around 80 degC (brake calipers do not actually get that hot)

Alec

.....   see spec below from their website, brake calipers do not get that hot my Arse!! :P  

• Maximum working temperature of around 80 degC (brake calipers do not actually get that hot)

Alec

That, sir, is not only misleading, it is downright fibbing..... demands a letter to the OFT....

Spec K

For probably 98% of the general public it might be true that brake callipers don't get that hot, but for people that want to paint them red I'd suggest the likelihood is they intend to get them well hot !

Alec