Deacon

Deacons '86

1 minute ago, nerdstrike said:

But does the binnacle cover get rid of the annoying reflection you get when driving into the sun?

To be honest I've never really noticed this as an issue with the stock, the previous one or this one so I'm not much help there I'm afraid!

The fake carbon dash panels in the recent cars like mine aren't too bad actually. Saw the older style ones though at a meet and did think they were a bit ghastly.

Putting black Alcantara trim on my wish list though... I quite like it on seats too - nicer than leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ade said:

Looks lovely. Need to sort out some nice bit for the interior of mine.

Also quick question, how much did it cost you to have the upper arm camber bushes installed?

Cheers.

I've just dug out the invoice - Blink Motorsport charged £120 including the VAT for the upper rear camber bushes installation - it is a fairly involved job.

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Cheers.

I've just dug out the invoice - Blink Motorsport charged £120 including the VAT for the upper rear camber bushes installation - it is a fairly involved job.

Thanks for that. I want at least 2degree camber. Currently have 2 degress one side and 1.5 degree the other. 

The Eibach/SPC arms seem to be a good cheap lower arm option but RCE seem to think the upper bushes are worth doing anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Ade said:

Thanks for that. I want at least 2degree camber. Currently have 2 degress one side and 1.5 degree the other. 

The Eibach/SPC arms seem to be a good cheap lower arm option but RCE seem to think the upper bushes are worth doing anyway. 

No worries.

In terms of the SPC arms I saw a few people in the track group reporting problems with them and suggesting the bushes with stock arms was better. The problems were with the gen 1 version though I think.

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

No worries.

In terms of the SPC arms I saw a few people in the track group reporting problems with them and suggesting the bushes with stock arms was better. The problems were with the gen 1 version though I think.

I think you are talking about ATL BRZ?. His were first gen but I did see that. hhmmmmm

so you're the one that bought them from Tim, how come you're going for these now? and surely these will bump you up into the pro class if you're doing tss?

6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Interesting. So why these and spec, cost etc? 

Tim on the other side had them for sale having covered a grand total of 15 miles. They are Moton Clubsport 2 way adjustables which are Motons road and occasional track set up. The price was too good to pass up as they would be just shy of £3700. I've always wanted to try some really good suspension on the 86 and saw this as my opportunity. The flex a's are the best sub £1500 coilovers available for the 86 in my opinion but these should be another level. One of the beauty of Motons is that the way they are valved allows a huge range of springs to be used without requiring revalving - we are going to begin by trying a 7/7kg main spring to see how that is and change from there if needed. The remote gas canister allows a softer spring to be used and a higher gas pressure to support the car so it may be we go down to something like a 5/5 set up.

I'll still be able to take part in tss and see what my times are - they'd just put me in a class where I couldn't win (as would the trd canards until recently!)

These are close to proper motorsport items - i'd have had them if I didnt already have the Ohlins. Bargain at £2500.  They are "off the shelf" items that have a lot of clicks for a large damping range to allow a large range of springs. So its up to the end user to pick spring rate and dial them in properly.

Pretty much all Motorsport level dampers are like this. 

The remote canisters main purpose is to allow more suspension stroke which is where these will really excel - more stoke allows softer springs because you don't rely on a firm spring to stop it hitting the bumpstops. Not more hitting the bump stops all the time on bump back roads :) The soft helper springs will give a bit more droop too.

I would love to know how much damper stroke they have, but looking at the images it looks like tons. 

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

Thinking on it - why would remote reservoirs alter the class anymore than something like edfc would?

Other than it says in the regulations, what Ade says above doesn't suggest a major advantage?

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Other than it says in the regulations, what Ade says above doesn't suggest a major advantage?

Yeah - apart from it being in the regulations and edfc not (maybe because it wasn't common / available when the javelin regs were done?) I think edfc probably gives more advantage than remote canisters do.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

The quality of the damper valving on a track will be the main performance enhancement. 

The damping itself will likely be in the range of something like the Ohlins road and Track, but with the advantage of more damper stroke and two way adjustable, both add significant cost to the damper and the two way adjustability (that actually does something) will allow you to really dial them in to the particular track/surface.

8 hours ago, Deacon said:

Yeah - apart from it being in the regulations and edfc not (maybe because it wasn't common / available when the javelin regs were done?) I think edfc probably gives more advantage than remote canisters do.

Regulations are regulations, so you would be in the Pro class on your own. At least you'd win. ;)

Sounds good though, will be interesting to see what they are like. As you say it should be a decent step up from what you currently have. I'm spending a whole load on new suspension for the car I hardly drive, the AE86. I could never do it though as I like racing in the biggest class, more of a challenge and all that. But, sure, come along and see if you can trounce the N1 Street class. :)