long-gone

It's been fun. Sayonara!

2 hours ago, Adam9 said:

Whats next for you then?

Z4. 

After more than four years in the 'edgy' Toyota, a somewhat more relaxed and refined waft-mobile is in order. The Zed's no drivers car, but it's fun and I've missed having a droptop. It's the 3 litre twin turbo with 7-speed DCT (sDrive 35i).

Shame! I'm just about to join the fold and live in South Glos too!

Whereabouts are you @LordGrover?

Good engine that 35i.  I recently tested it in the 235/240i, just to uhhhhh "rule it out" before putting the money down on the GT86. It's really quick and the gearbox is brilliantly smooth in auto or manual.  What colour have you gone for? I love the mustard yellow.

Shame to see you go after joining us so late on but its been good having you on here! All the best and who knows.....maybe you'll miss the 86 too much and you'll be back in the future 😜

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

On 20/02/2017 at 9:30 PM, LordGrover said:

Chipping Sodbury. :)

Not my first choice, black. I'd wanted red or blue but nothing with the right spec. This one's loaded so hope to be a happy chappy when I go to collect it tomorrow.

You'll love the gt86, they're great fun. Enjoy! 

I'm Staple Hill, so not too far from you. Got a couple of friends out your way too, so might be about CS/Yate way  

Hope collection went well and you enjoy the Z4 as much as you did your GT

The ND mx5 and it's sister RF are fantastic drivers cars.  The only issue is the amount of body roll they have.  I've had NB and NC models and spent many many pounds just to get them to corner in the flat manner of the 86.

The front end turn in of the ND is better then the first gen 86 but can't comment on the new model.

The mx5 is very easy to drive fast down a country road mainly because it's the same size as a ballet slipper but it cuddles you through a corner instead of you pushing it and trying to balance the car like when driving the gt86.

Auto trader and evo mag have some interesting comparison videos on YouTube of the two cars. In both the ND is faster round a track but that's mainly because of the different stock tyres 

MX5 was a bit more fun driving then twins (i didn't feel roll limiting me in anyway. Yes, rolled more, but was easier & more fun to half-drift around curves). But it's also less practical/too small. Below my minimum practicality treshold, and i touched roof with head even w/o helmet, so i'm not regretting not getting MX5 instead, as car is only one i'm having now and dailydrive everywhere. Continuing same line, i'm sure Lotus 7 would be even more fun then MX5 & even less practical, but not willing to go that far.

RF = retractable roof. The problem with the RF will be buffeting with the roof section down I think and this comes through in the reviews. Many years ago I had an MR2 t-bar and the buffeting meant that I didn't remove the t-bar panels after a time. The MX5 I had around the same time (supplied by Mazdain 2004) was much better in terms of buffeting but that was a soft top of course. So that would be my reservations with the RF, unless you just drive with the roof up all the time. 

Its quite a bit more expensive though isnt it? The RF in comparison to the standard soft top.

I really like the ND MX5, never test drove one but have sat in one, the simple single handed opening soft top is really trick, I see no need for the RF unless you like the looks and a bit more refinement with the roof up. For me it would be the only realistic option to replace my 86 with should i want to get rid.

Its quite a bit more expensive though isnt it? The RF in comparison to the standard soft top.

I really like the ND MX5, never test drove one but have sat in one, the simple single handed opening soft top is really trick, I see no need for the RF unless you like the looks and a bit more refinement with the roof up. For me it would be the only realistic option to replace my 86 with should i want to get rid.

Me too - I think if I didn't need the back seats I'd have bought an MX5. Great little cars. Never seen the point of the complicated metal roofed ones though. Simple car needs a simple roof. Newest ones really capture the spirit of the early cars for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test drove the 1.5l version with Will and didn't think it was all that, definitely not as pin point as the 86 (more roll, less feel through the steering wheel, ran out of steam quickly and etc.) but it was fun to drive around with the top down :D

On 05/03/2017 at 7:19 PM, Keethos said:

I test drove the 1.5l version with Will and didn't think it was all that, definitely not as pin point as the 86 (more roll, less feel through the steering wheel, ran out of steam quickly and etc.) but it was fun to drive around with the top down :D

The 2.0 Sport solves the running out of puff problem. 

I drove that and chased down a spiritedly driven GT86 easily on the UK launch event last summer (or the summer before perhaps). 200kg less helps minimise the effect of 40 less bhp. 

It didn't minimise my swearing when it turned down the side road in front of me though. Brilliant little impromptu test. I always find it interesting to see how a car reacts on the road from the car behind. It showed how well tied down the GT86 is.

Great fun car though and it even got attention from the driver of a GT3 with a brilliant plate!

IMG_0505.JPG