DKG

GT86 Severe Knocking Sound

Hi all,

I'm pretty numb right now with an issue with my GT86. 

Bought the car about 4 months ago with 32k on the clock. Today about 2 mins from my house i get this hideous very aggressive knocking sound. So I pull the car up, lift the bonnet to see if what the issue may be but engine is just knocking badly. I turn off the engine and check dip stick which was really hard to remove but got it out and it wont go back in fully. Goes about 75% in. 

I've done some digging and i've found a forum in which someone uploaded the same noise and the replys from GT86 owners are basically it's a spun rod bearing issue. 

I've had a few cars and was mechanic apprentice many years ago so had experience with fixing stuff at basic levels but i'm dreading the outcome as it sounds so bad not to mention engine re-build costs ranging from 2.5k :(

I'm getting it towed to a garage Friday but just wondering what peoples thoughts are and why the dipstick wont go back in? The mechanic i spoke to who is collecting car mentioned the dipstick tube could have been damaged. 

Thanks and FML  

The dipstick tube has a twist in it, and the stick won't slide in in all orientations. It might be that simple.

I hope your engine isn't in big trouble. Depending on the age of the car, you should check whether you're still under the five year warranty.

Year of car? Did it have valve spring recall done recently or not done/ not needed?
What did the dipstick show- normal oil level?
Is the car modified/ tuned/ boosted?

Dipstick tube issues are possible and a replacement is easy. I will be worried about engine, could be rods, could be bottom end, could be excessive RTV sealant but unless we get all the info in the post, not much we can point to.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reponses guys,

So its 2013 and i bought it off a previous lady owner and she provided me paperwork of it having the recall.

Has no modifications ( apart from me painting calipers red ! )

I checked the oil a few ago which was bang on correct level. The dipstick is completely normal but something is stopping it from inserting fully.

This is the thread i found and the sound is pretty much identical :

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/8mk638/toyota_86_engine_rattle_knocking_sound/

As i mentioned it's being picked up tomorrow as i dont want to run it at all incase it destroys internally even more.

I'm gutted as this is the best car i've driven and just got rid of my BM 3 series which had had countless faults with but nothing ever this severe.

Cheers

1 hour ago, DKG said:

So its 2013 and i bought it off a previous lady owner and she provided me paperwork of it having the recall.

I checked the oil a few ago which was bang on correct level. The dipstick is completely normal but something is stopping it from inserting fully.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/8mk638/toyota_86_engine_rattle_knocking_sound/

As i mentioned it's being picked up tomorrow as i dont want to run it at all incase it destroys internally even more.

I'm gutted as this is the best car i've driven and just got rid of my BM 3 series which had had countless faults with but nothing ever this severe.

Cheers

As I am sure you are aware don't try and start it again until the diagnosis is complete.

If it has had the valve recall done there is a 12month warranty given on the work. I confirmed this with them when I had the recall done on mine in march. So you should get in touch with the dealer that carried out the work and go from there, Other people have had success with Toyota playing ball and covering the issue. I presume you have paperwork from the previous owner? If not create a my Toyota account. With the reg and VIN you can look up the full history of work with Toyota electronically.

Might be worth going straight to Toyota if possible as they may be funny if someone else works on the car on the interim.
Good luck :) 

Cheers
When was the recall done? As Gavin says , if it was less than a year ago then the dealer / Toyota is liable ans you must contact them first before taking to a private garage.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've made an account and found the following which is worrying and doesn't state anymore after the 'removal of engine found' 

The service book states Valve Springs for the 2019 part but what is that 2016 recall ? CGG57

Date21/06/2019

TypeRepair
Mileage22014
DealerListers Toyota (Boston)
DetailsOn removal of the engine found,

Date14/10/2016

TypeRepair
Mileage22014
DetailsCarry out Recall: CGG57 Electr,Investigate FLAT BATTERY. Re-c,Wash and vacuum ve

10 minutes ago, DKG said:

I've made an account and found the following which is worrying and doesn't state anymore after the 'removal of engine found' 

The service book states Valve Springs for the 2019 part but what is that 2016 recall ? CGG57

Date21/06/2019

TypeRepair
Mileage22014
DetailsOn removal of the engine found,

Date14/10/2016

TypeRepair
Mileage22014
DetailsCarry out Recall: CGG57 Electr,Investigate FLAT BATTERY. Re-c,Wash and vacuum ve

Only other recall I know of is steering ECU harness or something related 

16 minutes ago, maurice said:

At 2500 miles after the recall I'd be taking that straight to Toyota, they've very likely botched it.

If it wasn't a recall though and the previous owner has taken it in over a year ago to be repaired for whatever reason - do I have a leg to stand on ? 

25 minutes ago, maurice said:

At 2500 miles after the recall I'd be taking that straight to Toyota, they've very likely botched it.

Sorry i'm talking nonsense - 2500 since i bought the car but overall 10K since the engine lift 

@DKG if they have had the engine out for what ever reason it is worth contacting them.

Also if you have any paper service history have a good look through that as I found some of the online stuff was not as detailed as the paper copies in the case of my car.

I had a personal experience of an issued that Toyota GB helped me with after a bit of back and forth chat.

Essentially mine went in for the valve recall and during this they found one of my camshafts was damaged due to oil starvation. After combing thought the service history for my car I found Toyota had the engine out a few years prior. Managed to pin the problem back to them blocking the camshaft oiler with sealant debries when they resealed the engine back then.

Toyota then agreed to pay for most of the repair costs of my engine. and this was from work they had done >12 months prior and before I owned the car.

Although the ball was admittedly in my court at this point as they had my car in for a free recall and then had my car in bits taking up their space demanding over 2k I didn't want to give them :lol:

So certainly worth contacting the dealer and Toyota GB for discussion. Nice well worded and polite conversations via phone and email may get you a good result. Would be also good to know if wasn't related to a valve problem that would have been due a recall.

22 hours ago, gavin_t said:

@DKG if they have had the engine out for what ever reason it is worth contacting them.

Also if you have any paper service history have a good look through that as I found some of the online stuff was not as detailed as the paper copies in the case of my car.

I had a personal experience of an issued that Toyota GB helped me with after a bit of back and forth chat.

Essentially mine went in for the valve recall and during this they found one of my camshafts was damaged due to oil starvation. After combing thought the service history for my car I found Toyota had the engine out a few years prior. Managed to pin the problem back to them blocking the camshaft oiler with sealant debries when they resealed the engine back then.

Toyota then agreed to pay for most of the repair costs of my engine. and this was from work they had done >12 months prior and before I owned the car.

Although the ball was admittedly in my court at this point as they had my car in for a free recall and then had my car in bits taking up their space demanding over 2k I didn't want to give them :lol:

So certainly worth contacting the dealer and Toyota GB for discussion. Nice well worded and polite conversations via phone and email may get you a good result. Would be also good to know if wasn't related to a valve problem that would have been due a recall.

Many thanks for this info mate. I reached out to Toyota GB yesterday and they have passed my issue on to the warranty department so I will see what comes back. It's currently in with a local garage who are going to look at it but i've told them not to lift the engine or anything so hoping they pick something up on the diagnostics test they do. I'm concerned now as potential full lockdown happening so my car could be stuck there for some time! 

Also after calling the Toyota garage that did it's last repairs June 2019 - it turns out it was for Valve recall ! Their warranty though for that place is only up to 12 months.

9 hours ago, DKG said:

Many thanks for this info mate. I reached out to Toyota GB yesterday and they have passed my issue on to the warranty department so I will see what comes back. It's currently in with a local garage who are going to look at it but i've told them not to lift the engine or anything so hoping they pick something up on the diagnostics test they do. I'm concerned now as potential full lockdown happening so my car could be stuck there for some time! 

Also after calling the Toyota garage that did it's last repairs June 2019 - it turns out it was for Valve recall ! Their warranty though for that place is only up to 12 months.

Yes the lockdown won't help. Good luck though and I hope you get something sorted. 

June 2019 was very early for a recall. Must have been one of the first!

11 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Yes the lockdown won't help. Good luck though and I hope you get something sorted. 

June 2019 was very early for a recall. Must have been one of the first!

Not that early. Mine was the first and was done in March 2019. 

Ok so latest update. I feel phyiscally sick after phonecall with local garage. Basically they did thier own diagnostics and basic fault finding without touching the engine. He's said there's severe damage internally but obviously didnt want to start lifting the engine.

So i've managed to get in touch with Local Toyota dealership and had my car towed there for expert testing. This apparently costs £130 not that i will 100% pay this depending on what they find. I will have an update back by the end of the week but dreading the outcome.

I took out a loan for 12k for this car and from what the first bloke said at local garage, i could be looking at like 6-8k if i bought second hand engine 😕

No chance i'd pay to have this done as it's not worth it. Fingers crossed this turns out to be Toyotas fault.

Second hand fa20 engines aren’t that expensive £2-3k from a breaker. Of course labour to fit might push that higher. Hopefully Toyota diagnose and repair under extended warranty. 

Update - technicians at Toyota Manchester have opened engine and apparently whoever did the engine for recall didn't do the timing chain properly ! It's basically lasted 2500 miles and obviously caused mayhem internally eventually. Service manager said it will probably need a new block and I'd imagine other parts. They are still investigating issue and it sounds to me like they are figuring out who is going to pay as the recall was done at Toyota Listers. Ironically my last BMW I bought, the timing chain went after I drove it home from dealers but that was at 70k miles. I seemed to be cursed with timing chain issues 😨