Lauren

Recall issued on cars to have valve springs replaced 2012-2013

11 hours ago, Notaricer said:

I think I still have invoice for it, should you want me to send you a copy to reduce cost. PM me.

If you have it to hand that would be great. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

There is no reason to be any difference, Nigel. It's not like buying a house! ;)

There shouldn't be but I find there is

Its when it comes to work that's by the hour (damage repair) you tend to notice the difference in hourly rates here in the south ☹️ To use your example no we aren't buying a house but the dealership are paying out for rent etc which is higher. So surely the dealerships would have to charge more to do exactly the same work which with the fixed priced servicing set by Toyota they can't do but I guess anything else they will.

E.g I got a quote for supply and fitting of gen7 Toyota Celica sports springs from dealership in skipton. My local dealership couldn't match it as the hourly labour cost quoted was significantly lower and that was before taking into account the local dealership reckoned it would take longer to fit them than quoted. Ended up driving up north which even after fuel was still cheaper lol.

Now been done for £80 plugs and £220 clutch so much better now I questioned it. Thanks to the advice on here and from @Lauren

So one thing I would watch for is the prices you are given. 

However I thought I was now all back on track but the tech had just phoned and told me the "cams and carriers" are worn and need replacing.  Currently awaiting an email back with the pics and quote for the work. Not good for a 40k mile engine!

Anyone else heard of this? 

If you have it to hand that would be great. Thanks.

I’m in work at the moment, so I’ll have a look later on, but I found the prices on my phone in my notes. The official price was £85.15 for the plugs and £190.12 for the clutch, I also got an air con regas as well as a new water pump for free.

3 hours ago, Notaricer said:

I’m in work at the moment, so I’ll have a look later on, but I found the prices on my phone in my notes. The official price was £85.15 for the plugs and £190.12 for the clutch, I also got an air con regas as well as a new water pump for free.

Not to worry mate they have given me that price now anyway. Although I have bigger fish to fry now....

Well this recall just got alot for expensive!

Found damage to one end of the one of the cams. Now looking at £3000 to get the car back 😐

Anyone seen simular issues before? Oil starvation to one particular area?

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

6 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Wow yes that's bad, that's 3k in parts? Should be very minimal labour.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

I have asked them for a breakdown of the bill to see what's what.

I have owned my 62 reg GT86 for a year now but have had no contact from Toyota. The online recall checker confirms that it is subject to the recall.
Are Toyota still in the process of sending out letters? Should I make contact directly? Do we have any idea what proportion of the affected cars have been done yet/how long they will be doing them for? 
My car has a Harrop supercharger which may complicate matters. Might they direct me to a garage such as RRG Macclesfield who may have more experience dealing with modified cars? I would be happy to travel if this were a good option.
If you have a car with supercharger/turbo, who has done the recall on your car/did they seem to know what they were doing? Are you happy with the result?
I contacted them directly too)(despite not having a letter). They didn't hesitate to book me in to get the work done, mine was basically stock so they were able to do it a my local dealership - but i asked them about heavily modified examples; they said that they would take the heavily modded car at the dealership, then transport it up to Macclesfield on a truck and have the work done there.

Also, the work that I had done as part of the recall (oil change, filter and a couple of other bits) was basically the work that I needed for the annual service a couple of months later. I mentioned this to the chap at the dealership, and he said that it wouldn't be worth me taking the car back for its service. While they can't stamp the book as it wasn't technically a 'service', they'll write a statement to use with the recall letter (when I receive it) to say that they have done the necessary work for the annual service (hopefully that makes sense!) :) Something else to consider, perhaps...?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Well this recall just got alot for expensive!
Found damage to one end of the one of the cams. Now looking at £3000 to get the car back 
Anyone seen simular issues before? Oil starvation to one particular area?
IMG_0374.thumb.jpg.b9c9722bf6971b4fbd355b86e42b3f96.jpg
IMG_0373.thumb.jpg.ffa91009adc0c22e7639cef004e2e167.jpg
I know this comment isn't going to help much - but dude, I'm sorry to hear that... Is there any chance of sneaking in a high performance cam shaft instead of them fitting a stock one? Might actually be cheaper? (don't take my word for it though)...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, sam534 said:

Wow yes that's bad, that's 3k in parts? Should be very minimal labour.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Isn't the scoring in the second picture on the head and need to be machined. I assume they can't do that in situ hence incurring labour charges? Or is it new head time?

Isn't the scoring in the second picture on the head and need to be machined. I assume they can't do that in situ hence incurring labour charges? Or is it new head time?

Very good point, could be machined depends on the scoring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also just had a chat with the lead tech on the phone who confirmed it is only this one area of the camshaft that is damaged. All other areas are fine. 

He is also suspects the engine has been out and cam cover resealed on this side before as it looked previously disturbed.  Between the lines hinting at sealant blocking that oil way.  

32 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Also just had a chat with the lead tech on the phone who confirmed it is only this one area of the camshaft that is damaged. All other areas are fine. 

He is also suspects the engine has been out and cam cover resealed on this side before as it looked previously disturbed.  Between the lines hinting at sealant blocking that oil way.  

Was that down to work hopefully carried out at a Toyota dealership?

3 hours ago, PeterH said:

I contacted them directly too (despite not having a letter). They didn't hesitate to book me in to get the work done, mine was basically stock so they were able to do it a my local dealership - but i asked them about heavily modified examples; they said that they would take the heavily modded car at the dealership, then transport it up to Macclesfield on a truck and have the work done there.

Also, the work that I had done as part of the recall (oil change, filter and a couple of other bits) was basically the work that I needed for the annual service a couple of months later. I mentioned this to the chap at the dealership, and he said that it wouldn't be worth me taking the car back for its service. While they can't stamp the book as it wasn't technically a 'service', they'll write a statement to use with the recall letter (when I receive it) to say that they have done the necessary work for the annual service (hopefully that makes sense!) :) Something else to consider, perhaps...?

Very interesting, thanks PeterH.

Has anyone else been told this/had their modified car transported from their local dealer up to Macclesfield?

Local Toyota garage did mine last week.

they had no problems dealing with the turbo kit & even fitted an aftermarket clutch for me free of charge ( I supplied the clutch. Paid £85 for the plugs to be changed as well.

2 hours ago, gavin_t said:

Sorry to hear about this issue. Hope something can be done to resolve it without excessive cost to you.

Is your car modified?

There is no reason to be any difference, Nigel. It's not like buying a house!
Like Nigel says below, the difference comes in labour costs. To get any aftermarket parts fitter the labour cost is between 80 to 100 £/ hr here Vs 60 to 80 £ up north. I had this argument with my subaru dealer that up north servicing is cheaper and he said think about our cost of the garage and the labour rates we have to pay. So be fair to us and dont ask us to price match like toyota can do via their fixed price servicing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Gavin -Sorry to hear. I know you are out of warranty but try reaching out to Kesler in the other forum as he is a Toyota employee and check if you can get a shared contribution / goodwill gesture from Toyota as you dont expect it to go at such low mileage.

25 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Gavin -Sorry to hear. I know you are out of warranty but try reaching out to Kesler in the other forum as he is a Toyota employee and check if you can get a shared contribution / goodwill gesture from Toyota as you dont expect it to go at such low mileage.

Agreed it's worth asking for that, as I had this when I had my wiring loom replaced. To pay the full cost would have been thousands. It still wasn't cheap, but was a lot cheaper. However, in this case it would likely come down to who had the cam cover off last time and misapplied the sealant who you'd think would be more liable. If the OP knows that information then that would help.