mattt

XTRONS PB78HGTP Android 8.0 Ongoing Review

Oh and it won't be auxillis you arrange the extra work through it will be the repair company they arrange. The extra work I got done was just a little extra painting work on one panel BTW, not a full respray.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this - I'll see how it all pans out. Fingers crossed for some sporty number as a courtesy car!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

When my 6 series got damaged years ago I went through the BMW accident management thing. I was potential happy when they have a brand spanking new M6 as the replacement car for a few days....;)

On 14/05/2018 at 8:45 AM, Lowe said:

Great stuff. :) Never used Android (been using Apple since their first phone) so I've never really known that much about these sorts of units. I like the fact it fits well without an adapter plate. Which adapters did you need for OEM GPS and USB?

Sorry for the delay Lowe - I've added a link to the GPS adaptors to the post about installation :) Cant seem to remember where I found the USB one but when I do I'll add that also.

The screen looks quite glossy. How's the glare on it?
Absolutely fine when on - not noticeable at all

15 minutes ago, mattt said:

Absolutely fine when on - not noticeable at all

Thanks for clarifying :)

First off really sorry to see lorry encounter......crap that....hope it works out well in the end.

On head unit front...did you have JBL set-up?

If not anyone changed OEM for a plug and play with JBL compatibility etc.

Been looking for Android head unit but not sure what to buy to plug and play with the whole JBL set-up.

cheers.

Thanks for the review.  I've ordered this same unit with the dab+ dongle, dashcam & obd dongle.  Has anyone fit a reverse camera with this? I've got one currently working with the stock tas400 unit.  Is it a case of connecting the reverse signal cable from xtrons unit to reverse signal from toyota loom? Power is currently fed from 12v acc.  Also did you find link for USB adapter.  Will this retain function of front plate & centre console USB? 

Thanks for the review.  I've ordered this same unit with the dab+ dongle, dashcam & obd dongle.  Has anyone fit a reverse camera with this? I've got one currently working with the stock tas400 unit.  Is it a case of connecting the reverse signal cable from xtrons unit to reverse signal from toyota loom? Power is currently fed from 12v acc.  Also did you find link for USB adapter.  Will this retain function of front plate & centre console USB? 

No worries! Here's the link to the USB adapter: 

AXXESS AX TOYUSB USB adapter cable to obtain the original car USB connector for Toyota Lexus from 2012

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FJSU3IW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-j0.AbMD68RPB

There is a clearly labelled wire for wiring in the reverse feed in one of the looms from what I recall.

To cheer myself up since the destruction of my boot lid, spoiler and bumper I'm fitting some Focal IS165TOYs today! Will report back how they sound with the XTRONS unit alone, and later I'll probably add an amplifier and again report back :)

Wow these focals sound good and they're not even broken in yet! Super!

Don't tell me this!!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

That's because the stock speakers are so poor. There's more room for improvement, but not bad for the outlay. Currently I'm bugged by standard headunit bluetooth being noticeably weaker than the CD/radio input. It's like they put an extra-shit DAC in just to punish you for using bluetooth. You have sidestepped this of course!

That's because the stock speakers are so poor. There's more room for improvement, but not bad for the outlay. Currently I'm bugged by standard headunit bluetooth being noticeably weaker than the CD/radio input. It's like they put an extra-shit DAC in just to punish you for using bluetooth. You have sidestepped this of course!
Yea like someone else has mentioned before the OEM speakers are very light and appear to have been sourced from the bargain bin at maplins.

I didn't go crazy with sound deadening, just a bit directly behind each woofer since I was messing about with the doorcards. For my own personal needs I don't really want to spend so much time and money sorting out the entire car with sound deadening simply because it's at heart a light sports car not a Jag. I have a nice separates setup in my lounge with mission floorstanders if I really want to enjoy some music.

Nice one.  Thanks for the link.  Bit pricey for a usb lead though. When mine arrives and I get it all setup I'll test it with/without an amp as I've already got an amp and the focals installed.  Will let you know how much of a difference there is.  With the stock head unit it's night and day but I'm not sure how good the xtrons amp is.  I'm guessing it's still relatively low rms.  Currently using high level inputs so I'm expecting some improvement using low level from the xtrons. 

Nice one.  Thanks for the link.  Bit pricey for a usb lead though. When mine arrives and I get it all setup I'll test it with/without an amp as I've already got an amp and the focals installed.  Will let you know how much of a difference there is.  With the stock head unit it's night and day but I'm not sure how good the xtrons amp is.  I'm guessing it's still relatively low rms.  Currently using high level inputs so I'm expecting some improvement using low level from the xtrons. 
Cheers I'll look forward to hearing about it!

OK so I hope everyone can forgive my: (a) terrible sketching (b) my newbieness. I've never installed an amp and subwoofer before but I'm up for the challenge and experience!

I'd appreciate some guidance if I've got this wrong anywhere. Cheers!

Car audio setup.png

On 20/05/2018 at 10:51 PM, mattt said:

OK so I hope everyone can forgive my: (a) terrible sketching (b) my newbieness. I've never installed an amp and subwoofer before but I'm up for the challenge and experience!

I'd appreciate some guidance if I've got this wrong anywhere. Cheers!

Car audio setup.png

Looks good to me.  Just remember to size fuse according to cable size.  Wouldn't even bother with the rears especially if putting a sub in. 

Well my xtrons unit arrived today.  Ordered it on the weekend and they're not open until Monday so sent next day by Dpd.  Good start! Got it all fitted.  Like matt said very easy with just a small locating tab to grind off.  Longest part was routing the cables for dab & front camera.  Completely forgot to test with/without amp.  Got distracted trying to find a 28pin harness I now need to retain steering wheel controls, reverse trigger & microphone.  Looks a decent unit though and from what I've heard so far it's an improvement over stock.  Dab is so much better on this. 

Well my xtrons unit arrived today.  Ordered it on the weekend and they're not open until Monday so sent next day by Dpd.  Good start! Got it all fitted.  Like matt said very easy with just a small locating tab to grind off.  Longest part was routing the cables for dab & front camera.  Completely forgot to test with/without amp.  Got distracted trying to find a 28pin harness I now need to retain steering wheel controls, reverse trigger & microphone.  Looks a decent unit though and from what I've heard so far it's an improvement over stock.  Dab is so much better on this. 
Phew glad you like it! I'd feel bad if you hated it haha!

What lock screen did you end up using?  Can't seem to find any that work
I've been using smart launcher 5 which allows you to set a lockscreen. It works about 90% of the time - I'm intending to try a few things to see if I can get it to work more reliably.

For the install, does it require trim removal? 
Yes you need to remove the trim surround to access the bolts that hold the headunit in place.

I used a nylon/plastic car trim remover tool otherwise you run the risk of scratching the trim if you use a metal tool. The trim is just clipped on so the tool is used like a lever.