Gt86jake

Ordering a new 86 / BRZ

Hi there

I have always wanted a gt86 and am not considering purchasing one. I am tempted by the new Hyundai i30n but keen coming back to the gt86. 

I was initially looking at 2014 models for around 15k but am now considering a factory order (!). I know this will clearly be more expensive but residuals seem fairly strong. 

There don't seem to be many posts from people placing new orders. 

I'd appreciate any opinions on a) am I insane? I'm conscious that I am ordering a new car that was launched 6-7 years ago. I presume it is coming towards the end of its model life and a completely new version will be released? Any thoughts on when this may be?

B) should I be expecting a discount?

C) will I be the only person who has ordered a new 86 / brz?! 

D) spec wise - leaning towards the 86 - not keen on sat nav but would like the infotainment system - looks like this comes as standard. I'd be after a pro model because of the heated seats. The only thing I can see to option are rear parking sensors. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

There are people placing new orders, but not everyone posts on here, so it will be happening. It is not yet clear how long the model will run or when there will be a new model, or what it will be. You will see pointless speculation, but really that is what it is. That the kouki model has come out in the last year, gives you an indication that it will be in production for at least two years yet. 

A) you're not insane, many of us bought our cars new and got the car to the spec and colour that we wanted. 

B) yes try and get a discount. 

C) No. We have members who have bought new cars in recent months. 

D) I'd say don't bother with the nav. Swop in a better head unit, it's what I did anyway. I specified the parking sensors too, they are useful. 

Not sure where you are based, but if you want the best dealer service go to RRG Macclesfield and speak to Richard (Riceburner) on here. 

A) I bought mine from new, as @Lauren said it guarantees you the spec you want and you'll know you're the only one that's thrashed it :lol:  I would guess that the 86 is not likely to be replaced in the next 3 years based on what's been said recently by Tada san; he was still talking about what concept direction a replacement might take.  There are no rumours from reputable sources, no spy shots, no concept cars.
And let's be honest, you might not like the replacement anyway.  Live for the moment ;)

B ) The easiest way to a discount is to use the online brokers to get their best price, then take it to your local dealer and ask them to match it.  I'd recommend carwow, drivethedeal, broadspeed - and just put "new car broker" into Google to see if there are any others.  I took a printout showing the spec and price that I'd been quoted.  Some of the brokers pass your details onto the dealer network who make offers directly to you, so the printout I had showed the name of the dealer offering that price.  Back in 2015, it was good for just under £3k discount and Toyota were also offering a £1k contribution to finance, so I got the fat end of £4k off.  That was with a bunch of options, so £28.5k list at the time.

C) See above!

D) Pro spec seems to have most of the toys that you could want.  Parking sensors are nice to have, the other option is an aftermarket reversing camera.  There are a few choices for those.  I can't explain why Toyota never offered that as an option in the UK.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us updated!

I considered a new one, but due the price difference and the fact I really liked the Aero kit (which they had discontinued by the time I was ready to buy) I went for a 15 month old one in the end. 

I don't think you will really go wrong buying new or used. The main problem I found looking for a used one is that some people simply do not look after their cars in the same way I do. If you are fussy, buying new would certainly be preferable. 

I wouldn't go for new one, as just driving out of dealership already gives big price drop :) (i got mine half a year old with around 5K miles on odo for 25% less then price of new, imho nice deal)

But also, given choice, i'd try to get MY2017 kouki one (for goodies like improved track mode instead of vsc sport (main reason for me), more comfortable suspension and headunit control buttons on steering wheel).

So why not both? :) ( - lightly used kouki)

I ordered new originally and used drivethedeal and various other broker sites which landed me a new car for 23.5k so if you go new really look around broker sites and be prepared to wait.

However if I was to buy again I would not go new I would go for one 1-2 years old.

I got a new BRZ in December.

Originally I had planned to get a one 1-2 years old but those that were for sale were quite expensive, and then came the question of had it been thrashed... I would have had to borrow cash for it anyway so just got a longer term.

Since then (of course) there have been a few lightly used models come up for decent prices so maybe I should have held off, but patience is not my virtue.

The Subaru dealer did me a decent deal (I think), certainly matching what was being offered by brokers.

The BRZ spec is a match for the Pro which is what I'd have chosen in the GT86 - the reason for choosing the BRZ is the Toyota dealer wasn't pleasant whereas the Subaru dealer was, and i liked the blue.

I got the Sat Nav installed, mostly for DAB (but reception is frustratingly patchy) as the dealer misquoted it and honoured the quote. I think the standard head unit in the GT86 has DAB so I probably wouldn't have for that. Parking sensors is the only other thing I've added.

I came very close to getting a brand new GT86 Pro back in September, I got offered a mighty tempting deal via Carwow - you've got nothing to lose putting your details in and seeing what comes back. I'm not sure what they are offering now, but at the time Toyota was offering some very good finance deals as well.

I actually went to the other extreme and bought a 62 plate car! As tempting as it was, I do so few miles I couldn't justify commiting that much cash to a new car. I got a Subaru because I like the Subaru Blue, a BRZ turned up at the time and was the best deal by a country mile and  the Lux Spec has everything I wanted. I rate the part leather/alcantara seats, the standard stereo was dreadful so I replaced it. Heated seats are lovely (I never thought I'd say that). I wouldn't worry about parking sensors as it is a small car. I think a reversing camera would be more useful

In the end you HAVE to do the sums - what's it going to cost you in finance, servicing, depreciation (look at MGFV, what they are going for second hand) etc. and work out what's best for you and what you can afford. I wouldn't really worry about the car being thrashed by the prevous owner, that's what they are designed for and that is what you are going to do with it aren't you? That said, I always avoid ads with poor spelling/grammar and when they really don't seem to know what they are selling.

6 hours ago, McDude said:

That said, I always avoid ads with poor spelling/grammar and when they really don't seem to know what they are selling.

Personally I often buy cars from ads with poor spelling and grammar, as being dyslexic myself I know that good written English has very little to do with the ability to maintain a car.

However back to topic, OP sounds like you understand a new one will loose approx £10k+ during the first 3 to 4 years based on price of 2014 cars quoted. If your happy with this then go for new as can pick spec more easily. By comparison a used GT86 would prob only loose a fraction of this and will make more sense of you want to modify too. 

I would add, that a used car makes more sense if you're not going to keep the car for more than say three years. I wanted to keep my car for a long time and to be fair when I ordered the car had only been out six months anyway, so if you're going to keep the car for a long time then what you lose on depreciation is not a factor. Currently at five years, 112K miles and counting. For me it was nice to be able to choose the exact spec I wanted and there's a nice knowledge that I've done all those miles in it and of course I've looked after it and all that. :)

12 hours ago, Mikey P said:

Personally I often buy cars from ads with poor spelling and grammar, as being dyslexic myself I know that good written English has very little to do with the ability to maintain a car. 

Apologies if I caused any offence. Perhaps I short handed it a bit too much; I’m personally wary of ads with “he’res my car ive bin driftin round the lanes” there was an ad for a BRZ when I was looking with almost word for word that text. It doesn’t fill me with confidence and there are plenty of these cars about.

I used to be into 205 GTis and anything that suggested that the car wasn’t being researched and looked after could spell big bills.

But I think we’re talking a different fish here, even the oldest cars are only 5-6 years old, if they’ve got FSH and clear HPI what else is there to worry about!

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

I would add, that a used car makes more sense if you're not going to keep the car for more than say three years. I wanted to keep my car for a long time and to be fair when I ordered the car had only been out six months anyway, so if you're going to keep the car for a long time then what you lose on depreciation is not a factor. Currently at five years, 112K miles and counting. For me it was nice to be able to choose the exact spec I wanted and there's a nice knowledge that I've done all those miles in it and of course I've looked after it and all that. :)

Thanks for the replies. Yes this is pretty much my logic. Unsure how long will keep for at the moment. 

Am I correct in thinking that OEM rear parking sensors can be fitted by the dealer - ie I could buy a car without and get them fitted?

3 minutes ago, Gt86jake said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes this is pretty much my logic. Unsure how long will keep for at the moment. 

Am I correct in thinking that OEM rear parking sensors can be fitted by the dealer - ie I could buy a car without and get them fitted?

The parking sensors are fitted by the dealer anyway, so yes, not a problem. 

I also have a BRZ from new. I tried Carwow but at the time I was looking, they didn't cover the BRZ. So instead I used it for the GT86 to get an idea of the discount I could use at Subaru and also to use as a bargaining chip if they said no. I decided on the spec I wanted (BRZ SE Lux in WRC blue, side fins, mats and parking sensor) and just told the dealer what I wanted to pay. I think the total for what I wanted was about £26-£27k so I told the dealer I would pay £23k. He called me back after 10 mins accepting my offer. Didn't need to use my offers from Carwow in the end.

I’m hoping to get my new Toyota next week. I was gonna get a 2015 model but they seem to be holding their value really well so I’m stretching it up a bit to a 2017 model. These seem to be starting around 20k got my eye on 1 just seeing if the dealer can drop it to the 20mark it’s up for 21 at the mo 🤞

I wouldn't care about milleage of my car, as unless i total it in crash, so far planning to use it till it still runs and not selling it  :). 4 years, and still loving it.